Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 86 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2018, 01:32 PM - 2 Likes   #106
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Tim Horton’s made a bad deal with a Private Equity investor (who sold franchises and expanded too quickly), got in a spitting match with them - and all the franchisees lost their rights and were forced out of business. Lawyers will have a decade of income sorting things out and Tim Horton’s will shrink to its original Canadian locations.
Restaurant Brands is having a few problems with its Canadian franchises.

3G Capital appears to missed the memo declaring the death of conglomerates. Capital and entrepreneurship only scale so far, then bigger becomes a hindrance, not a help. Maybe the signs aren't as obvious in Brazil, but even camera manufacturers are discovering that being part of a giant conglomerate doesn't bring any real benefits. The photocopier and printer manufacturing business isn't providing a security blanket for Canon or RIcoh Imaging, any camera line these days needs to survive/thrive on its own.

Does that qualify as straying on tropic?

07-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This thread was worth just for all the unrelated posts it added to our July post count!
07-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #108
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
This thread was worth just for all the unrelated posts it added to our July post count!
And after the way participation has sagged the last few days, we can use every post.
07-08-2018, 01:54 PM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
And after the way participation has sagged the last few days, we can use every post.
Yep! and that is why I will say the two of us and several others have been working hard to keep it going. I am sure more will join in later in the month just like June.
So this is 1 more

07-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
BY the 70s, the dangers were better understood, and the clean up was underway.
This (your entire post actually) might be the best analysis of the sixties that I've ever read, and I've been reading for more than 50 years.
07-08-2018, 09:26 PM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Tess and I have to drive 49 km to get to the nearest Timmy's
Hi
Had to google Tim Hortons and to me, correct me if I am wrong, I see it as a blessing to be this far away from a junk food supplier, the type of business which is responsible for most of the worlds obesity epidemic. NO ?

Also looks to me a case of quantity over quality for which these fast food establishments are known for. However if Tim's offering is quality then it is quantity that is the problem. Me thinks.

Cheers
07-08-2018, 09:57 PM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Also looks to me a case of quantity over quality for which these fast food establishments are known for.
Tim's is known as a place to get a coffee, typically from a drive-thru window, although Restaurant Brands is trying to make sit down purchases a bigger portion of a franchisee's business. They try to maintain their stranglehold on the coffeeshop market by positioning themselves between Macdonalds and Starbucks. Dunkin' Donuts are an endangered species in Canada and with only 4 locations in the Greater Toronto Area, 2 locations in Quebec City and a single store in the Greater Vancouver Area, Krispy Kreme is on the verge of being officially extinct. Tim's also sells bagels, muffins and sandwiches along with the usual donut shop selection of pastries and (of course) donuts. With an average sale of less than $5, Tim Horton's still accounts for a ridiculously high percentage of the restaurant business in Canada (more than 25%?). If I need to set up a quick meeting with a client, it will take place at one of the 3,802 Tim Horton's in Canada. They are ubiquitous here, like mosquitoes and potholes.

07-08-2018, 11:57 PM   #113
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Tim's is known as a place to get a coffee,
Thanks for the write up.
I based my comment on pictures Google provided.

Tim's only have an almost unheard of on-line presence in Australia selling mainly maple syrup related products and coffee. Not sure though why anybody would want to buy coffee in OZ coming all the way from Canada. Roasted beans should not be stored for longer than two Weeks max and ground coffee not more than 48hrs. (The reason I roast coffee myself)

Thanks again
07-09-2018, 08:07 AM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The reason I roast coffee myself
Just for your own use?
Not sure though why anybody would want to buy coffee in OZ coming all the way from Canada
Homesick Canadians. Tim's coffee is better than the cheapest coffee in the grocery store, but it isn't high gourmet quality, either. At least they don't deliberately burn their beans like Starbucks.
07-10-2018, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #115
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just for your own use?
Yes, I have been roasting coffee for my own use for many years. I only roast in batches enough to last me about one week. I prefer Papua New Guinea peaberry coffee.

(Peaberry - Wikipedia)

Roasted correctly, this coffee is smooth but full bodied with a slight chocolatey taste. The problem is commercial roasters don't pay enough attention to this bean, it roasts quite differently because the beans are small and round. Consequently they over roast and burn the beans. After roasting the beans have to cool down and rest for some some 10 hours before brewing. I use a commercial burr coffee grinder and grind for every cup. The machine I use is the Italian made Vibiemme Domobar Junior.

Now you got the full story. How is that for going off topic in a big way

Last edited by Schraubstock; 10-27-2018 at 10:49 PM.
07-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #116
Pentaxian

Dunkin' Donuts are an endangered species in Canada and with only 4 locations in the Greater Toronto Area, 2 locations in Quebec City and a single store in the Greater Vancouver Area,
My daughter, who does drink the stuff {I don't .... but I do eat donuts}, says that Dunkin' gets increasingly worse as you get increasing far from Boston.
07-10-2018, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only roast in batches enough to last me about one week.
That's hardcore, your expresso machine is $1500 in Canada by itself. I live in an urban area with 300,000 people, there is just one commercial roastery.
Dunkin' gets increasingly worse as you get increasing far from Boston.
I haven't been to Massachusetts in twenty years, but when I've been to the Carolinas, Florida or the Southwest, I've been very unimpressed with the coffee I've been served. Mind you, I don't put a lot of effort into tracking down the best coffee shops, either. Driving though Maine ten years ago, there were so many Tim Horton's and Irving gas stations, I didn't think I had left Canada.
07-10-2018, 09:49 AM   #118
Banned

My daughter, who does drink the stuff {I don't .... but I do eat donuts}, says that Dunkin' gets increasingly worse as you get increasing far from Boston.
I only had a Coffee at Dunkin at the airport of Boston, last year. Well......I needed it at the time, so no complaines.
07-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have stayed away for years. I never saw the charm of the Dunkin.
07-10-2018, 11:26 AM   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Dunkin popped up like weeds here in Colorado a few years ago and all the east coast transplants rejoiced...not sure what the appeal is in dry, bland doughnuts that are often days old. Worst doughnuts outside a grocery store.