Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(...not planning on the update because I am not having problems (AF is snappy and rarely misses focus) and am not planning on purchasing the DA F* 50/1.4...)
Come on Steve don't be a curmudgeon.....go one and do the update. You might find a bit of improvement.

Larry

07-15-2018, 12:02 AM - 2 Likes   #62
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Come on Steve don't be a curmudgeon.....go one and do the update. You might find a bit of improvement.

Larry
Sorry curmudgeon is in my blood. There are two basic approaches to software QA. The first is to rigorously test all features before issuing an update. The second, to quote a former VP I worked with, is to "let our fruit ripen in other people's baskets" where "other people" referred to our customers. Y'all can let me know how it goes.

Steve
07-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My K-3 is not taking the update. I have tried every variation I can think of, different cards, plugging the camera into the computer, with the card in it, etc. The card is formated. When I press the menu button, and turn it on, I just get the regular screen. Anyone have a similar problem?
07-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hold the menu button while you turn the camera on. Make sure the firmware update is in the root of your sd card.

07-15-2018, 11:34 AM   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By “Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc220b.bin] to the root directory in the SD card.”, the installation instructions mean “Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc220b.bin] to the DCIM directory in the SD card.”
07-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #66
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tcwilson Quote
My K-3 is not taking the update. I have tried every variation I can think of, different cards, plugging the camera into the computer, with the card in it, etc. The card is formated. When I press the menu button, and turn it on, I just get the regular screen. Anyone have a similar problem?
is the sd card inserted in slot # 1

if not, it will not work
07-15-2018, 12:02 PM - 4 Likes   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mstahulak Quote
By “Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc220b.bin] to the root directory in the SD card.”, the installation instructions mean “Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc220b.bin] to the DCIM directory in the SD card.
That is incorrect. The .bin file must be outside the DCIM folder. The Root Directory is outside all folders.

@tcwilson Check to be sure there is not a ‘2’ appended to the File name. That happens if you extract the .zip file twice or if you already had the previous FW update in your Download folder when you extracted. The FW updates all use the same filename.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-15-2018 at 12:08 PM.
07-15-2018, 12:33 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry curmudgeon is in my blood. There are two basic approaches to software QA. The first is to rigorously test all features before issuing an update. The second, to quote a former VP I worked with, is to "let our fruit ripen in other people's baskets" where "other people" referred to our customers. Y'all can let me know how it goes.

Steve
I'll be the first to let you know mine is working well, all I have to do is think about what I want to focus on and ZAP its done.
07-15-2018, 01:09 PM - 2 Likes   #69
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mstahulak Quote
By “Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc220b.bin] to the root directory in the SD card.”, the installation instructions mean “Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc220b.bin] to the DCIM directory in the SD card.”
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
That is incorrect. The .bin file must be outside the DCIM folder. The Root Directory is outside all folders..
As monochrome says, the file is not to go to the DCIM directory. Copy the .bin file to X:\, where X is the drive letter of your SD card.
07-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #70
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I'll be the first to let you know mine is working well, all I have to do is think about what I want to focus on and ZAP its done.
Cool! I actually have to push a button! Do you have a headache afterward?

Steve
07-15-2018, 03:49 PM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KP and K-1 updated successfully. There is no apparent change to anything (until July 20th + shipping. . . . . )

.:

Last edited by monochrome; 07-15-2018 at 05:19 PM.
07-15-2018, 05:07 PM   #72

It would be nice if somebody with two K-3 or K-1 bodies would update the firmware on only one body then do a side-by-side comparison (as such if given only one copy of a lens) of the focusing speed. It would be a bit more reliable than subjective memory of how it was before upgrading.

Knowing PF's methodology for measuring AF speed would be useful to. It would give us a standard methodology to use. The tests I've seen involve using video to count the frames and hence derive time for autofocus to lock.

Autofocus Speed | imatest
07-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool! I actually have to push a button! Do you have a headache afterward?

Steve
Nah, I take an Aleve after every photo shoot.
07-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tcwilson Quote
I had the same problem, tried different cards, re-formatted etc and was thinking about giving up. Although my battery showed 3 bars, I decided to charge it anyway and it charged for an hr or so. I then tried the firmware update again and it worked! Give that a try - it worked for me. Good luck!
07-16-2018, 02:31 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It would be nice if somebody with two K-3 or K-1 bodies would update the firmware on only one body then do a side-by-side comparison (as such if given only one copy of a lens) of the focusing speed. It would be a bit more reliable than subjective memory of how it was before upgrading.

Knowing PF's methodology for measuring AF speed would be useful to. It would give us a standard methodology to use. The tests I've seen involve using video to count the frames and hence derive time for autofocus to lock.

Autofocus Speed | imatest
I did comparison with the same lens on the K-1 before and after upgrading, so with only a few minutes inbetween, but I agree your proposal would put "for sure" results.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 07-16-2018 at 02:37 AM.