Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2008, 07:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

FROM PENTAX/HOYA PRESS CONFERENCE in AUG

Concerning the digital camera business operated by Pentax, Hoya said it will aim to secure its profit by reducing the business scale from now on. Amid the market environment, where the price competition intensified and sales growth of SLR products slowed, financial results of Pentax also plunged with unit sales decreasing and unit price lowering in the April-June quarter.

Perhaps this is why there are not a lot of announcements on new cameras from Pentax

09-15-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by van Quote
Concerning the digital camera business operated by Pentax, Hoya said it will aim to secure its profit by reducing the business scale from now on. Amid the market environment, where the price competition intensified and sales growth of SLR products slowed, financial results of Pentax also plunged with unit sales decreasing and unit price lowering in the April-June quarter.

Perhaps this is why there are not a lot of announcements on new cameras from Pentax
I believe the context here is to P&S cameras, not DSLRs.

Mike.
09-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
cyg

Or perhaps it is because some announcement will come later this week... Leica just made theirs, Canon still has a few eagerly awaited cameras to announce and Oly has not made their announcement either...
09-15-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hoya is reducing their business scale by selling the p&s digicam factory in China, where my Optio 30 was made, and moving production of the Optio series to external companies. This plan was actually originally drafted by Pentax before Hoya bought them, that they should concentrate more on DSLR's because the digicams wasn't profitable enough.

If external companies can manufacture the Optio series both cheaper and better than Hoya can, then I see no reason to keep a defunct factory that never was a good idea to begin with. Old Pentax had a habit of doing most by themselves, Hoya does not have this nostalgic connection to a proud heritage and tradition, so they have no problems letting others produce the digicams and then stamp Pentax on them.

This has nothing to do with why Hoya is late in announcing products for the Photokina. Photokina starts next week. There's plenty of time to make announcements.

Where is Olympus? Where is Fuji? Where is Samsung?
Lot of companies are playing the "who will be the last to announce"-game.
It is all about marketing and getting attention.
Best to let Canon, Nikon and Sony announce first, because if you are a smaller player and announce before Canon and Nikon then the announcements from the big brands will overshadow the announcement from the smaller company. If Hoya had made their announcement before Canon and Nikon, this announcement would be largely forgotten by now. So it is better to announce after Canon, Nikon and Sony than before them. Better to be late than early. Photokina is next week. Plenty of time left to make an announcement or two or three.

Seems to me that Hoya are going for an all at one-announcement.
Previously, Pentax had a tendency of starting their announcements several weeks before Photokina and then they made one announcement each week... An Optio, a lens the week after, another Optio the week after that, a third Optio on the fourth week, a DSLR on the fifth week, a fourth Optio, a lens, a new sales program... etc. Interresting idea, but it failed to grab the attention.

09-15-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Another DOOM AND GLOOM post from a single post user. Do I smell a muckracker in disguise?
09-15-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
Banned

we've been over this how many times now? yes Hoya is talking about the Optio series of P&S cameras not DSLR's. though I agree with the old method because I am nostalgic and very much like the Asahi Opt. Co. history. I understand where Hoya is coming for downsizing and outsourcing the Optio line though.
09-15-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
He is a "One and Done" poster, set thread to ignore.
09-15-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Raise your hand if you have a Pentax DSLR.
Good, seems like everyone in the room raised their hand.
Now go out and take some photographs for f@#$ sake.
Be satisfied with what you have or go and get some Prozac.
Some of you are acting like 2 year olds that have had their pacifier taken away from them.
Ok, finished my rant, I will return you to normal programming.

09-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Production is moving to the Philippines.
09-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Another DOOM AND GLOOM post from a single post user. Do I smell a muckracker in disguise?
Hmmmm. Me thinks we may have a Canikon who can't stand legitimate competition from that pesky Pentaxian brand!

Resistance is futile...you will be assimilated....

The contrarian brand rules! Pentax is the other white meat!
09-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Yes...The truth HAD to come out...I should have made this announcement days ago. I have been so busy flying back and forth between PARIS and TOKYO...

I have purchased Pentax from Hoya. I cannot disclose the figures, but, they got a great deal. The good news is that I will be sponsoring Pentax. How is that for a switch.

My first BIGGY is a bit of a throw back to the 80's, but with no padded shoulders. We will introduce a camera that does NOT allow one to magnify the image on the screen greater than 25 percent unless you actually commit to printing an image on a minimum size of 8 x 10 inches. Or A4 format. Once you press print and the printer is activated, you may magnify ONLY to the output of the said print. So for those of you needing to see a 100 percent magnification of the K20D at 220 dpi, you will have to invest in a A1 or minimum a A2 printer...

This move will alleviate all of those who never REALLY take photos for other than gazing deeply at PIXELS and Banding.

Best Wishes
Ben..

Oh...The name has changed..I guess you know what it is already...The "Bentax" Company....

09-15-2008, 04:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Oh...The name has changed..I guess you know what it is already...The "Bentax" Company....

Can I be your senior engineering designer?
09-15-2008, 04:56 PM   #13
Pentaxian

But will Bentax cameras have a dedicated print button?
09-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote
But will Bentax cameras have a dedicated print button?

As the senior designer (if Bentax would have me), I would allow the RAW button to be programmed as a dedicated print button. There would also be a spot on the mode dial called "damn fantastic picture", which would automatically set up to take the perfect picture with the perfect white balance and the perfect exposure...in RAW mode naturally. The AF would be programmed with the new telepathy chip. It will be in focus before you even take off the lens cap. Finally, we will develop the ultimate lens mount system. It will be compatible with every lens ever made for any camera (except Nikon or Canon of course).

And through our new cost-cutting initiatives, we will provide it for 25% less cost to the customer than the K20D.

That's really what we all want, right?
09-15-2008, 07:44 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
On some political forums this type of poster is called a troll - register, hit & run negative post, carry on until banished. On some of these forums there are special mods known as "troll police." One reply to the mods begets a banishment. There are sometimes really cute competitions to be the first to catch and report a troll.

Wouldn't work here.