Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

RICOH THETA Plug-in Store Goes Live

RICOH THETA Plug-in Store Goes Live
RICOH THETA V owners can now “customize” their 360-degree camera with new functionality via downloadable plug-ins from new online marketplace
TOKYO, July 23, 2018 - Ricoh today announced the RICOH THETA Plug-in Store has gone live. The new, online marketplace makes available downloadable software plug-ins that provide new functionality for the RICOH THETA V fully spherical camera, such as wireless live streaming, remote camera control, automatic image uploads and much more. Starting today, plug-ins created by Ricoh and such organizations as Sony, NTT DOCOMO and HoloBuilder can be downloaded from the site.
The plug-ins are being created by members of the RICOH THETA Plug-in Partner Program, which allows third-party developers to create their own Android™-based software plug-ins for the RICOH THETA V, a camera capable of capturing fully-spherical 4K-equivalent video and high-resolution still images. Based on the open-architecture Android operating system, the RICOH THETA V is unique among 360-degree imaging cameras in that its functionality can be further expanded by installing plug-ins.
“The new THETA Plug-in Store helps us serve our customers with technology solutions that directly impact their bottom line,” said Mostafa Akbari, CEO of HoloBuilder, which joined the Plug-in Partner Program to build innovative, secure and user-friendly applications for the construction industry. “We are thrilled that Ricoh is providing this flexible, customizable system for developers to get 360-degree technology solutions out quickly and proud to announce our first RICOH THETA Plug-in: HoloBuilder 360 SiteStream. This is the world's first 360-degree livestreaming application that helps general contractors and owners monitor construction site progress from a first-person perspective, in real time.”
Ricoh kicked-off the RICOH THETA Plug-in Partner Program last month, with a website that provides easy access to tools and online support. Since then, many developers have joined the program, and five third-party plug-ins are currently available from the store. Three new plug-ins developed by Ricoh are also available.
Ricoh intends to continue to add capabilities to the development environment to meet the needs of consumers and businesses.
<New Plug-ins created by third-party developers>
1. Device WebAPI Plug-in
Developer:
NTT DOCOMO, INC. (Development framework prvider) (NTT DOCOMO Home)
GClue, Inc. (Application developer) (GClue, Inc.)
NTT DOCOMO has created new functionality for the existing WebAPI plug-in (developed by GGlue) that enables it to collect information from and control the function of the RICOH THETA V's built-in sensor. The Device WebAPI Plug-in conforms to OMA GotAPI specifications, which builds a WebAPI on the RICOH THETA V device, and enables function access via a common WebAPI on other devices such as smartphones.
2. MESH plugin for RICOH THETA
Developer:
Sony Corporation (meshprj.com)
MESH is a platform of app-enabled smart triggers that can transform everyday objects into smart devices that can be controlled from a phone or tablet. The new MESH plugin for RICOH THETA enables direct control of the RICOH THETA V via a MESH block.
3. EVRYPLACE Sync
Developer:
EVRYPLACE (EVRYPLACE)
EVRYPLACE Sync allows for seamless uploads of images created using RICOH THETA V camera and the EVRYPLACE app. Using the plugin, individuals using the EVRYPLACE editor can get instant updates on their projects. They can choose 360 images on RICOH THETA V, open the EVRYPLACE app, and then upload these directly from the camera to their project. EVRYPLACE is ideal for real estate sales, delivery documentation, insurance documentation, training material updates, and more.
4. HoloBuilder 360 SiteStream
Developer:
HoloBuilder, Inc. (HoloBuilder)
HoloBuilder's 360 SiteStream plug-in gives construction companies 24/7 access to view construction sites in 360° through livestreaming (Livestreaming duration depends on usage environment). Users can set up a RICOH THETA V in mission-critical locations on a construction site and then remotely zoom into the project from anywhere to see what is going on in real time. The plug-in allows adding an infinite number of 360-degree livestreams. The plug-in is part of HoloBuilder's reality-capturing solution, which enables integration of livestreams into existing HoloBuilder projects to combine all visual site documentation.
5. Fita
Developer:
Everywoah (fita.io)
Fita is a plug-in suite that enables RICOH THETA V owners to connect to Google Cloud Storage. As an onboard RICOH THETA V camera plug-in and a companion Android or iOS app for your device, Fita allows the RICOH THETA V to upload media to a connected Google Cloud Storage™ account for optimal workflow and team collaboration for 360-degree photo and video workflow over Wireless LAN.

<New Plug-ins from Ricoh>
1.Wireless Live Streaming:
allows for wireless fully-spherical live-streaming on YouTube™
2.Automatic Face Blur (Beta):
provides facial recognition and enables faces to be blurred for privacy/security reasons
3.File Cloud Upload:
automatically uploads images saved on the RICOH THETA V to Google Photos™ via a router

You can check the other plug-ins that Ricoh is planning to upload in this web page:
RICOH THETA V expansion roadmap | RICOH THETA
Android, YouTube, Google Cloud Storage, and Google Photos are registered trademark of Google Inc.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

RICOH THETA Plug-in Store Goes Live | Global | Ricoh

Last edited by OoKU; 07-22-2018 at 08:27 PM.
07-22-2018, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
I can't believe that this isn't getting more interest from the Pentax community. Hopefully this leads to all Ricoh Imaging devices having some smart capabilities and allows the community to tailor their devices to their needs.
07-23-2018, 07:14 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
I can't believe that this isn't getting more interest from the Pentax community. Hopefully this leads to all Ricoh Imaging devices having some smart capabilities and allows the community to tailor their devices to their needs.
Well, it was just announced. Only a promise before. Not all Pentax DSLR owners use Theta. I do so I am interested.
07-27-2018, 07:34 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I am interested...

and especially in what was tantalizingly shown as a potential capability a year or so ago-----the ability to integrate captures from your camera into Theta output to create zoomable details. That would be amazingly helpful and useful for what I got the Theta for.

07-27-2018, 12:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Well, it was just announced. Only a promise before. Not all Pentax DSLR owners use Theta. I do so I am interested.
It would be awesome, though, if Ricoh uses what they learn from the Theta plug-in marketplace to help enhance their other non-Theta products, like the rumored GR III or future DSLRs. There's a lot of potential upside here for everybody.
08-25-2018, 05:29 AM   #6
pxt

I can't understand what people see on Theta. For me is nothing special, but only commercial toy.
08-25-2018, 06:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pxt Quote
I can't understand what people see on Theta. For me is nothing special, but only commercial toy
As long as it's a cash cow for Ricoh Imaging, who's complaining

08-25-2018, 08:50 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't understand what people see on Theta. For me is nothing special, but only commercial toy.
So, you have stated 2 facts here:

1. You can't understand what people see in it.
It may surprise you that this fact doesn't negate the fact that others can have a use for this device. It was a professional photographer's very positive opinion about it that made me take notice as I saw him using it and asked him what he was using it for. That made me take a closer look, and at the last Photo Expo show I attended I saw one in action at the Pentax booth----and I was impressed. I was also very intrigued by a demo that was given (sadly, no new news about this..) that showed how it could be connected to a still camera such that the images from the still camera could become zoomable details or sections of the 360 degree output from the Theta.

2. For you it is nothing special, but only a commercial toy

Again, how you feel about it does not negate how others might feel differently. Next, what do you mean by "commercial" and "toy"? That it is a toy produced solely for profit purposes? Or that it is a "toy" only for commercial users? Please clarify.

I have bought one to use in my museum installation photography at HMSG. We are currently exploring multiple ways of using photography and video both as documentary records for the Collections Management Department, which includes Conservation Department, the Registrars Office, the Exhibits Office, and the Photography Office, as well as the Audio-Visual Department, and the Marketing and public outreach group. Besides using a variety of types of imagery for our web presence, we have also now pioneered a new museum app that incorporates artists' and curators' commentary on the collection and the exhibitions that goes beyond the more familiar audio tours of the past several decades and is more interactive, and can be accessed beyond the museum. We have also partnered with Samsung recently in the Yayoi Kusama Infinity Mirror Rooms exhibition to provide VR alternatives to the disabled so they can more fully experience art installations that may not be fully accessible to them. We will no doubt continue to find new ways to use these new technologies.

The Theta is a very promising device to me in my work. I am only just now beginning to utilize it. My sole complaints about it right now are mostly software and app oriented, but Ricoh has already partially addressed this by the open SDK. I hope the development continues.
08-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #9
pxt

By commercial I mean something what is not usefull in reality, but it is make as something other by adverts. Toy - is gadget for fun and not for work.

Ad 1. Yes, it has interesting posibilities as few unique method of presentation, but I don't think that people can make with them few thousand photos and after that view one by one. Few - ok, but more is boring.

Ad. 2. As marketing tool for milenials is great as VR and AR. I am specific person. I like knowledge not method of presentation. It is why I have in my library two thousands books. Most of them is dominated by text.
08-25-2018, 03:15 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

By commercial I mean something what is not usefull in reality, but it is make as something other by adverts. Toy - is gadget for fun and not for work.
Well, I bought it for my work, and certainly not as a toy.

QuoteQuote:
Ad 1. Yes, it has interesting posibilities as few unique method of presentation, but I don't think that people can make with them few thousand photos and after that view one by one. Few - ok, but more is boring.
I think you don't fully understand how this device works. You should see a demo.

QuoteQuote:
Ad. 2. As marketing tool for milenials is great as VR and AR. I am specific person. I like knowledge not method of presentation. It is why I have in my library two thousands books. Most of them is dominated by text.
It's not just for millennials, as I think I pointed out. And i don't see how an different method of presentation somehow means there is automatically less knowledge. My wife and I don't have 2K books, maybe only 1K. Most of ours are art books, so maybe only 50% text. But I definitely feel that the images are more than worth their weight in text---descriptions of art rarely do justice even to the photographic reproductions of the objects, and certainly not to the objects themselves. I think based on what you have said above about knowledge and text suggests you weigh text over imagery. One wonders then what your interest in photography is....
08-26-2018, 11:43 PM   #11
pxt

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Well, I bought it for my work, and certainly not as a toy.

I think you don't fully understand how this device works. You should see a demo.
I saw demo before. Young people make 360 degrees photos from car and when they are eating and spend time together. I don't buy it. Few shot it's nice more is boredom. For the museum is the other things. Millenials like gadgets so for millenials clients is good to use VR, AR and 360 degree photos, because this generation has problem with focus (digital dementia from other hand is here) on any subject and with multimedia is easier for them.

Personally I like models and in museum I can stay few minutes analysis them. I am not old man, but I know a lot people only few years old and they can't do it, because is boredom for them.

I'll try more precise. Less knowlenge start when form is more important than content. In Modern Art Museum in New York workers stayed ladder. Visitors see and comment "Oh! What concept! What form!" but suddenly one workers take ladders with "I'm sorry I'm now taking it". It is true anecdote I hope with good ilustration my point of view.

Some subject are more communicaive by text and other by visual like photos, but core my idea is that form make sense with contents and not only form without true any meaning.

On photography I like beauty of the world. I try illustrated them to others and catch amazing moments about me. I try makes photos which somethings matters more than they simple exist.
08-26-2018, 11:59 PM   #12

Toy - is gadget for fun and not for work.
I wander how many people buy DSLR for work and how many for fun. I have K50 and waiting for K3 successor and it is not my work, I haven't earned 1$ from it, so it is toy for me.
If people want to buy it, why not to sell it?

I wish DSLR would have something like this shop (and possibility to add custom software)
08-27-2018, 02:50 AM   #13
pxt

From neutral point usability DSLR are not limited like VR, AR and 360 degrees photography. It's like comparision OLED screen with e-paper. Toys are less in usability contextes. Decade ago prediction was people won't use voice and text communication in phones, but video stream instead. Now text SMS evoluted in tweets, video stream in phone are not often and voice is still domination. In photography classic style camera is the first most used solution. Now is trend on VR compatible technology and is why we have some 360 degrees phitos and videos. This technology are advertised, because it has a lot of posibilities to lower cost fx. when you create interactive model of world. It is connected with Moore's law about computity and new technology like modern VGA card with VR. When your point is knowledge and details VR, 360 degrees not means better and more usefull in comparision to classic imaging. It is why is toy for me.
08-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I've just got a 360 camera, not a Theta because I wanted something that shot RAW.

The creative possibilities are amazing. From one 360 photo you can create so many possible photographs. I was skeptical at first, but have been very impressed so far.
08-29-2018, 10:47 AM   #15
pxt

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
The creative possibilities are amazing.
It is true and from start I not negate it. My point is that is not for mass, but for specific situtation like exibitions.

I am not expert, but I think that for professional the highest quality RAW better is join files and process them part by part and get in final the extreme resolution with something like this:

I write here about something like hunders squad meters imaginery above viewers head.