Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
This can't be right. Pentax Is Forever DoomedTM
I love your humor man.

09-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I hope @Adam; is able to shed some light on all this after his Photokina conversation(s).
Shortly after I wrote this, the "mini-interview" was posted.
Interview with RICOH - Photokina 2018 | PentaxForums.com
Much of the talk was about Ricoh-branded products, namely GR and Theta; they show more openness to MILC, but there is virtually no talk about DSLRs. I'm not sure whether to be encouraged {don't want to talk about products close to announcement} or discouraged {nothing new to talk about}
09-28-2018, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Shortly after I wrote this, the "mini-interview" was posted.
Interview with RICOH - Photokina 2018 | PentaxForums.com
Much of the talk was about Ricoh-branded products, namely GR and Theta; they show more openness to MILC, but there is virtually no talk about DSLRs. I'm not sure whether to be encouraged {don't want to talk about products close to announcement} or discouraged {nothing new to talk about}
I hope they’re saving the good stuff for an anniversary party . . . . .
09-28-2018, 06:00 PM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I hope they’re saving the good stuff for an anniversary party . . . . .
They did talk in positive terms about celebrating the "100th Anniversary"

09-28-2018, 08:09 PM - 4 Likes   #65
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
2019 is also the Rugby Word Cup, which is going to be held in Japan. Since Ricoh is quite into rugby, I wonder if they'll do any marketing activities to tie in with that.

I like this image from their game against Canon Eagles last week. Ricoh Black Rams won. Sign of the future?
09-28-2018, 09:53 PM   #66
Pentaxian

They did talk in positive terms about celebrating the "100th Anniversary"
...with 'celebrations which will take place next year on a regional basis'.

Product announcements would be global by nature, so...
09-29-2018, 05:41 AM   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
2019 is also the Rugby Word Cup, which is going to be held in Japan. Since Ricoh is quite into rugby, I wonder if they'll do any marketing activities to tie in with that.

I like this image from their game against Canon Eagles last week. Ricoh Black Rams won. Sign of the future?
I NEED that jersey!
How and where I can purchase it (with shipping to Italy)?

09-29-2018, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #68
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Abulafia Quote
I NEED that jersey!
How and where I can purchase it (with shipping to Italy)?
Not sure about shipping to Italy, but . . .

RICOH

Their shirts have Ricoh on the front and Pentax on the back. It's like the K-3 in reverse.
09-29-2018, 06:15 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Not sure about shipping to Italy, but . . .

RICOH

Their shirts have Ricoh on the front and Pentax on the back. It's like the K-3 in reverse.
My touch football team had Ricoh hats years ago, long before Pentax. (One of our players was a Ricoh employee,) So, I've already owned some Ricoh sports apparel. But that Jersey would be sweet. You suppose they'll ever have an English web page selling those shorts?

Adam, there's a Photokina question, "How can we order one of those jerseys?"
10-01-2018, 12:32 AM   #70
Banned

Cipa just reported the sales for august. Well dslr are down and mirrorless are up.

In Japan mirrorless is for some time bigger then dslr.

In Europe in august for the first time mirrorless sold more in yen then dslr did!

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/e/d-201808_e.pdf
10-01-2018, 12:36 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Actually the production for both DSLRs and MILCs is down.
MILCs doing somewhat better is to be expected, given the recent news almost exclusively all MILC. Despite that, DSLRs remain solid. Nope, nothing to be seen, no doomed dinosaurs anywhere.
10-01-2018, 03:20 AM   #72

Photos: Albums
To whoever blows the horns of Pentax, take into consideration that is one segment of a Corporation (Printing and Customer/ Office services are the big money haulers) .
Maybe I can' t `read` a presentation but for Ricoh the Theta is the Highlight- understandable for its automotive autonomous car segment applicability.
Ricoh bought Pentax for the established QC and Theta (rest can die from what the figures show) .

Demand for Theta and other Digital. So basically the big money comes from the gimmick. Don' t see why they would make a marketing out of this (putting only the Theta- seeing that is a internal document, that should present facts) .
So they were negative profit this year, and expect a decrease overall next year (pic 3) , but in the first picture they predict a profit of 0.4. That shi* makes no sense (IF the prices stay the same; there might be again a price increasing from their side; only reason why `Sales declines but earnings were up` ) . Or the worst case, they are ditching the DSLR market, from which the loss will be, but increase the Industrial products.
Attached Images

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 10-01-2018 at 04:13 AM.
10-01-2018, 03:24 AM   #73
Pentaxian

If one looks at the CIPA figures for the January-August 7-month period, which smoothes out the monthly ups and downs:

Production
  • DSLRs: -7% in units and -2.2% in ¥
  • Mirrorless cameras: +4.1% in units and +21.4% in ¥
  • DSLR/mirrorless ratio: 1.66 in units and 1.34 in ¥ (the average unit price of mirrorless cameras produced is 24% higher than that of DSLRs)

Shipments
  • DSLRs: -8.3% in units and -10.3% in ¥
  • Mirrorless cameras: -1.4% in units and +10.1% in ¥
  • DSLR/mirrorless ratio: 1.75 in units and 1.32 in ¥ (the average unit price of mirrorless cameras shipped is 33% higher than that of DSLRs)
10-01-2018, 03:29 AM - 1 Like   #74
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by urssu Quote
Ricoh bought Pentax for the established QC and Theta (rest can die from what the figures show) .
Utter nonsense.
They're mentioning Theta because that's the #1 on its market. They're not mentioning any other camera that wasn't announced in that quarter... and guess what...
10-01-2018, 03:36 AM   #75

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Utter nonsense.
They're mentioning Theta because that's the #1 on its market. They're not mentioning any other camera that wasn't announced in that quarter... and guess what...

Nope. You mention only the big money bringers. It can be plural. Automotive is more lucrative than consumer grade cameras will be. I wasn' t in the meeting to tell you exactly, but from a business stand point, the presentation kind of tells what I said. Trust me, no company says `and others` , unless they are volatile/ uncertain/ of no real interest (customer, products, whatever you think of) .

Also, from my knowledge, 3 years of negative profit (after expecting positive) will lead to a shareholders audit and a revamp of the business unit (cutdowns, or whatever) .

Last edited by K5_Ltd_User; 10-01-2018 at 03:59 AM.