Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 57 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2018, 11:12 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Is not humor when one group is mocking another.

08-04-2018, 02:35 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just don't know that they are the people I would go to for Pentax information. A little like attending a University in China for an advanced degree in US History. They just aren't exactly dyed in the wool Pentaxians and there is more information on the Forums here, than what they really were able to get into.
08-04-2018, 02:52 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m not sure that information resource was the point of the video. The fact that they chose to make a video in the same series as Nikon and Hasselblad gets their positive review of the Pentax name to a million-plus subscribers, and that’s got to be a good thing for Pentax awareness.
08-04-2018, 03:25 AM - 3 Likes   #19

Mostly positive but the content could be improved

At least they spend some time and effort to do it, so I feel positive about the video in that regard.

I am not surprised that they do not know much about K-01 and Q series since they mostly shoot with Canon and Nikon. In the same way, not every Pentaxian know about all of Pentax cameras. Further, it is undeniable fact that Pentax is not one of the mainstream brands out there. On the plus side, Tony even praised Pentax K-1 as the best camera for landscape photography.

I fully agree that the content and information in the video could be improved if they do spend more time. But in the end, they are just another couple who run Youtube channel about photography. We cannot expect them to be so perfect in producing this video.

What we could do is perhaps politely give them feedback and tell them about the information that we know but they do not.

08-04-2018, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I just don't know that they are the people I would go to for Pentax information. A little like attending a University in China for an advanced degree in US History. They just aren't exactly dyed in the wool Pentaxians and there is more information on the Forums here, than what they really were able to get into.
Right... but we're a somewhat hardcore kind Pentaxians.
That video is addressed to not-so-informed-about-Pentax Pentaxians (no derogatory meaning here!) and non-Pentaxians interested in Pentax. Even I didn't knew the tragedy with their employees.

As much as I hate the "attack of the Pentaxians" nonsense, I appreciate what they did with this video. Is it perfect? No; there's the occasional mistake we can spot easily. Is it hard, honest work? Surely. Thanks, Tony&Chelsea N.
08-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I think the whole thing looked a bit unprofessional. I know it's supposed to be a casual format but they attempted a stupid joke at WW2 and the next second they are all so concerned and sad about the devastation it caused.

Chelsea looked incredibly bored to the point where she had to check her phone halfway.

And then making fun of the *ist D name was just ..dumb.

Last edited by sundown; 08-04-2018 at 01:09 PM.
08-04-2018, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The *ist name has been the subject of humour in these forums too, in the past. I bought a DS when they were first released - and I still don’t know how to say it! Any volunteers?

08-05-2018, 06:05 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

To me the * is just a symbol that you are not supposed to pronounce.

And then 'ist' is just like the 'ist' in economist
08-05-2018, 06:07 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hehe. I just refer to it as the DS.
08-05-2018, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote

Exactly.
And this only (and even very few afaik) PENTAXists can understand
08-05-2018, 07:22 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Exactly.
And this only (and even very few afaik) PENTAXists can understand
You got that right
08-05-2018, 07:30 AM   #27
Pentaxian

I think the whole thing looked a bit unprofessional. I know it's supposed to be a casual format but they attempted a stupid joke at WW2 and the next second they are all so concerned and sad about the devastation it caused.

Chelsea looked incredibly bored to the point where she had to check her phone halfway.

And then making fun of the *ist D name was just ..dumb.
I agree.
They intend to be somewhat "neutral" to the brand, even sometimes "emphatic" with it's users, but the whole atmosphere and several highlights chosen sound more like a "what do you think of that" kind of exercice.
08-05-2018, 11:45 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Just saw the video yesterday, seems so bad for Pentax, the couple seemed neutral but bored at the same time during the presentation. Some items were missing. 645N is not the digital MF from Pentax. I guess they need a little more time in their research. Unless it is a click bait.

Be it up or down, I think it is better to go out and keep shooting.
08-06-2018, 12:17 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The trouble to me (apart from errors and omissions) is that it reinforces the common thought that Pentax used to be something but hey! big surprise, guys! they're still around!. (Particularly Tony) I think they served this impression by ignoring much of the modern era pioneering (like weather sealing, FF pixel-shift - and did they mention DSLR IBIS? (can't remember, I watched it when it came out).

Also, they didn't differentiate suffciently between Joya and Ricoh To me, the Ricoh story is of slow but focused resurgence and returning Pentax to being a premium brand, not some floundering also-ran.
08-06-2018, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I pronounce it starist