Show Printable Version 57 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2018, 12:38 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Tony and Chelsea should have consulted/cited this:

http://www.pentax.com/en/pentaxhistory/
There are a lot of omissions there too ! (no mention of *ist (smallest and lightest film SLR) and no mention of K-5 !!!)

08-06-2018, 03:24 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
There are a lot of omissions there too ! (no mention of *ist (smallest and lightest film SLR) and no mention of K-5 !!!)
True. K-7 is there, I guess recognised for introducing the new body design, K-x is there too for being such a popular camera, but not K-5/ K-5 II. K-20D/K200D are also absent, and a lot of of others.

That's the challenge of doing presentations like the Pentax online history and the Tony and Chelsea video, I guess. They only serve as overviews, and can not cover every detail of a rich history in limited time and space. But such overviews do provide useful signposts for further study of the subject if people are interested, particularly those with little prior exposure to Pentax.
08-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
True. K-7 is there, I guess recognised for introducing the new body design, K-x is there too for being such a popular camera, but not K-5/ K-5 II. K-20D/K200D are also absent, and a lot of of others.

That's the challenge of doing presentations like the Pentax online history and the Tony and Chelsea video, I guess. They only serve as overviews, and can not cover every detail of a rich history in limited time and space. But such overviews do provide useful signposts for further study of the subject if people are interested, particularly those with little prior exposure to Pentax.
Canon, once upon a time, had a very good Canon museum site. Very interesting, with a time slider...
08-06-2018, 11:07 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Humor is too often lost on the net. The Northrup's "attack of the pentaxians" was gentle humor acknowledging that Pentax users tend to have very thin skins and take umbrage at any perceived slight. My Pentax credentials are long and deep but I have been bothered often by the same characteristics of some of my fellow Pentaxians. I thought their history was nice if not definitive. Please point me to a better one on the net. We all have different perspectives. Theirs is interesting and not at all hostile. They seem to feel about Pentax much as I feel about Kodak, Dupont Tvs and Ford passenger cars. That is not hostile just honest. Honest does not mean agrees with me or you but tries to make sense of the evidence they have. Yes I noticed that they didn't seem to know about the K-01 or Q. Blame Hoya/Ricoh marketing for that.
Haha! Yeah, this community sure does love praise, but the slightest hint of critique is often met with hostility. I’ve long been a Pentaxian, but I can’t identify with this deep protectionism. I’ve found most critiques I’ve read to be fair, and I think the community ought to be grateful for the exposure and celebration of Pentax history. Many are, no doubt. But some others lament the omissions or ignorance of obscure historical minutea. To each his or her own. I for one am glad they covered the brand and think that they did a very good job of covering it.

08-06-2018, 11:36 PM - 1 Like   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I pronounce it starist
so do I
08-07-2018, 02:42 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
Haha! Yeah, this community sure does love praise, but the slightest hint of critique is often met with hostility. I’ve long been a Pentaxian, but I can’t identify with this deep protectionism. I’ve found most critiques I’ve read to be fair, and I think the community ought to be grateful for the exposure and celebration of Pentax history. Many are, no doubt. But some others lament the omissions or ignorance of obscure historical minutea. To each his or her own. I for one am glad they covered the brand and think that they did a very good job of covering it.
On the whole I agree with you but there are a few issues where comments made by the likes of Tony Northrup - and I do enjoy hos channel - play to a lazy established narrative - like the AF on the first AF lens was dreadful - yeah we all know Pentax AF sucks - rather than it was FIRST - and the narrative that Pentax used to be something once but hey! are they still around?! I think people get tired of hearing the same old criticisms trotted out by people not really familiar with the cameras. Not unique to Pentax, but Pentax seems to have some particularly dismissive critics - and in taking that attitude those critics are critical of the choices of Pentax users.
08-23-2018, 07:47 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
I think the whole thing looked a bit unprofessional. I know it's supposed to be a casual format but they attempted a stupid joke at WW2 and the next second they are all so concerned and sad about the devastation it caused.

Chelsea looked incredibly bored to the point where she had to check her phone halfway.

And then making fun of the *ist D name was just ..dumb.
I bought and loved that camera; I still think it's the worst naming of a product I've seen, ever. The Northrups have a dry sense of humor, but I thought they put some effort into the history. We all complain for years because nobody pays Pentax any attention but when they do, we grab our pitchforks....

08-23-2018, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcleoud151 Quote
I bought and loved that camera; I still think it's the worst naming of a product I've seen, ever. The Northrups have a dry sense of humor, but I thought they put some effort into the history. We all complain for years because nobody pays Pentax any attention but when they do, we grab our pitchforks....
In my defence, I am not out with a pitchfork and I am not part of the vocal people who complain Pentax is not in the limelight. I am saying it because this isn't what formed my opinion on their 'meh' material. In fact, I like Tony
08-24-2018, 12:21 AM   #39
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Humor is too often lost on the net. The Northrup's "attack of the pentaxians" was gentle humor acknowledging that Pentax users tend to have very thin skins and take umbrage at any perceived slight. My Pentax credentials are long and deep but I have been bothered often by the same characteristics of some of my fellow Pentaxians. I thought their history was nice if not definitive. Please point me to a better one on the net. We all have different perspectives. Theirs is interesting and not at all hostile. They seem to feel about Pentax much as I feel about Kodak, Dupont Tvs and Ford passenger cars. That is not hostile just honest. Honest does not mean agrees with me or you but tries to make sense of the evidence they have. Yes I noticed that they didn't seem to know about the K-01 or Q. Blame Hoya/Ricoh marketing for that.
I agree with you 100%. I am also dismayed by the narrow and defensive thinking amongst the Pentax community. I prefer not to call myself ‘Pentaxian’ due to the negative connotations that entails.

I don’t think Tony and Chelsea are hostile towards the brand. They seem to share my own sadness and a genuine concern for an historic part of the photography industry.

---------- Post added 08-24-18 at 12:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by neokind Quote
Bravo!!!
08-24-2018, 12:48 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

I'm a Pentaxian, and proud of it.
08-24-2018, 02:02 AM - 3 Likes   #41
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bert J Quote
I agree with you 100%. I am also dismayed by the narrow and defensive thinking amongst the Pentax community. I prefer not to call myself ‘Pentaxian’ due to the negative connotations that entails.
With respect, Bert, the Pentax community is as wide and varied as any other brand-specific community. There are those who don't care a jot what people think or say about the brand, and others who are fiercely defensive and won't have a bad word said about it. Then there's the majority of us, who have a keen interest in all things Pentax, and relatively balanced views of the pros and cons. We know it's a niche brand with neither the size nor financial strength to be at the very leading edge. We know that there are things that need improvement... but we choose to stay with Pentax for a variety of reasons... Mostly, I'd guess, because we actually like the equipment
08-24-2018, 03:06 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I'm a Pentaxian, and proud of it.
Same here. I wear it proudly.
08-24-2018, 03:14 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bert J Quote

I don’t think Tony and Chelsea are hostile towards the brand. They seem to share my own sadness and a genuine concern for an historic part of the photography industry.
I think it would be fair to say that Sony Northrop has only one agenda, and that is to have more people follow his youtube channel. I don't know why we legitimise his comments by giving them airtime here. He's heavy on opinions, light on facts.
How have we evolved into a civilisation that enables everyone with a video camera to become a talk-show host?

If that defines me as narrow and defensive, then so be it. I only care about what I can capture with my gear.
08-24-2018, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
With respect, Bert, the Pentax community is as wide and varied as any other brand-specific community. There are those who don't care a jot what people think or say about the brand, and others who are fiercely defensive and won't have a bad word said about it. Then there's the majority of us, who have a keen interest in all things Pentax, and relatively balanced views of the pros and cons. We know it's a niche brand with neither the size nor financial strength to be at the very leading edge. We know that there are things that need improvement... but we choose to stay with Pentax for a variety of reasons... Mostly, I'd guess, because we actually like the equipment
Mike, you forgot me: fiercely defensive but still have complaints about the brand

There are definitely 'cons' about owning/using Pentax, it's just that "PentaxIsDoomed" is not one of them. Nor is this fine community - actually that's a big plus.
08-24-2018, 03:36 AM   #45
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Mike, you forgot me: fiercely defensive but still have complaints about the brand

There are definitely 'cons' about owning/using Pentax, it's just that "PentaxIsDoomed" is not one of them. Nor is this fine community - actually that's a big plus.
For sure

I also think what some people see as blind loyalty to the Pentax brand is actually our protectiveness of this community, as it's such a valuable resource (and in no small part one of the reasons I've stayed with Pentax). When new members introduce themselves, get to know us, and allow us to get to know them - as most do - we're generally more open to both brand and forum critique when it's offered constructively. But if they come right out of the starting gate with criticism, we can be a little defensive - sometimes, a bit too defensive There's responsibility for all parties to exercise some awareness, tolerance and - above all - respect