Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2018, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Tony and Chelsea Northrup Pentax History

In case you weren't yet aware, Tony and Chelsea Northrup have finally made a Pentax History video. They have done other history videos for other brands as well, however this one does show some bias and is not as detailed as some others. What are your thoughts?

History of Pentax: The Beatles, Tragedy, WW2 (Picture This! Podcast) - YouTube

07-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just so you know, couple of threads about this already, Shaun ...
07-30-2018, 04:40 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't seen the other video except the Pentax history. I applicate their effort. At less they spend time doing it. He skips the 3 most beloved lenses, FA limited and many more stuff during Pentax's autofocus ages but I am really appreciating their try.
07-30-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Just so you know, couple of threads about this already, Shaun ...
Okay, thanks, I did not see them.

07-30-2018, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
I haven't seen the other video except the Pentax history. I applicate their effort. At less they spend time doing it. He skips the 3 most beloved lenses, FA limited and many more stuff during Pentax's autofocus ages but I am really appreciating their try.
Agree with this.
I must admit I'm not a big fan of Northrup reviews for a number or reasons but its great they did it at all.

Last edited by kiwi_jono; 07-30-2018 at 08:50 PM.
07-31-2018, 12:11 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Tony and Chelsea should have consulted/cited this:

http://www.pentax.com/en/pentaxhistory/
07-31-2018, 03:41 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

There are plenty of approximations, omissions and even errors in this video...

07-31-2018, 04:00 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
There are plenty of approximations, omissions and even errors in this video...
For that you would need about 8 hours for the episode and half a year research, something like Hardcore History by Dan Carlin. Speaking of which, Dan, if you are reading this, please make an episode on Pentax history.
07-31-2018, 11:50 PM   #9

In my opinion this is the type of the content we need for others to gain our perspective.
08-01-2018, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Yes, to be positive it is sometimes even a bit exagerated
08-02-2018, 02:26 PM - 5 Likes   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by x4rd Quote
In my opinion this is the type of the content we need for others to gain our perspective.
Well, it means we in this forum have an obligation to be positive and informative about the brand, since they used us as a source of information about owner culture.

The 'Pentax is Doomed' stuff has been going on for years and is tiresome.

08-02-2018, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, there were some omissions and errors but that’s going to be inevitable in this kind of review - you can’t cover everything in 40 minutes. I thought that it was an entertaining watch.
08-02-2018, 11:49 PM   #13
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Well, it means we in this forum have an obligation to be positive and informative about the brand, since they used us as a source of information about owner culture.
Impossible to argue with this logic Ian.

The 'Pentax is Doomed' stuff has been going on for years and is tiresome.
VERY tiresome indeed.
08-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #14

Not certain what to make of their historical video. Considering they are one of the school yard bullies that encouraged the "attack of the pentaxians". Although most of these youtube social media fanatics are finding out that Fujifilm and Sony advocates are much worse but you don't see a dedicated video about those now do you.

There is some fact in the video as well as much avoidance. They are correct that we still need Pentax as a competitor and if no one has noticed things like dslr focus peaking, ibis, pixel shift, different grip options have been major selling points for Sony and Fujifilm. Funny that they do not mention where they got the ideas from. Be it Pentax, Olympus or Minolta. I don't care for the Pentax name being considered a voodoo curse but you can't deny the fact that "Pentax" is often replaced with "other camera brand". On several occasions i have seen reviews run out of adjectives to use to avoid saying "pentax" and the reviewers stutter and stumble trying to find a way to avoid saying "pentax".

There was another recent web review of the K-1 mk2 which gave it great praise but it sounds like they never touched a mk-1 since all they covered were points already with the K-1 mk1.

TCSTV review of the KP was so blatantly rigged.

T&C also don't consider that Ricoh might very well be hindering Pentax cameras on purpose. Hoya wasn't any better.

Last edited by solitudebound; 08-03-2018 at 11:24 AM.
08-03-2018, 12:41 PM - 6 Likes   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Humor is too often lost on the net. The Northrup's "attack of the pentaxians" was gentle humor acknowledging that Pentax users tend to have very thin skins and take umbrage at any perceived slight. My Pentax credentials are long and deep but I have been bothered often by the same characteristics of some of my fellow Pentaxians. I thought their history was nice if not definitive. Please point me to a better one on the net. We all have different perspectives. Theirs is interesting and not at all hostile. They seem to feel about Pentax much as I feel about Kodak, Dupont Tvs and Ford passenger cars. That is not hostile just honest. Honest does not mean agrees with me or you but tries to make sense of the evidence they have. Yes I noticed that they didn't seem to know about the K-01 or Q. Blame Hoya/Ricoh marketing for that.