Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2018, 03:57 AM   #46
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I think it would be fair to say that Sony Northrop has only one agenda, and that is to have more people follow his youtube channel. I don't know why we legitimise his comments by giving them airtime here. He's heavy on opinions, light on facts.
How have we evolved into a civilisation that enables everyone with a video camera to become a talk-show host?

If that defines me as narrow and defensive, then so be it. I only care about what I can capture with my gear.
I don’t think it is fair to say that. But we’re all entitled to our opinions, and moreso some people here are interested in what he has to say.😊

08-24-2018, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #47
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually quite like Tony & Chelsea... but I'm very much an occasional and casual viewer of their content. They're undoubtedly biased, but I think the vast majority of us - whatever brands we primarily shoot - are probably biased too, to some extent. The difference is, most of us don't make YouTube videos
08-24-2018, 04:10 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The interesting thing of course is that we don’t have to watch the videos if we don’t want to... I’ve picked up a few technique points from Mr Northrup.
08-24-2018, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I actually quite like Tony & Chelsea...
You worry me Mike.

08-24-2018, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #50
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

You worry me Mike.
You don't know the half of it, my friend
08-24-2018, 07:46 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The titles of their videos are sometimes intriguing. But, the videos are all subject to everyone's opinion. Some like them, and some don't. At times I think they have a point. At time I think it's simply entertainment.
08-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #52

I haven't seen the other brand videos but I did rather agree with their comments about Pentax supporters having an affection for the brand based in part on having grown up with it as well any gear considerations. Certainly true in my case. Logic says to me I should buy a A7x FF camera but I know I'll get a K1 and part of the reason is that Pentax cameras were a big part growing up with my old Dad using Spots and me learning my skills on a K1000 and ME-Super.

If it served any purpose it reminds other brand aficionados quite what Pentax have brought to the photography party over the years.

08-30-2018, 01:22 AM   #53
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I actually quite like Tony & Chelsea... but I'm very much an occasional and casual viewer of their content. They're undoubtedly biased, but I think the vast majority of us - whatever brands we primarily shoot - are probably biased too, to some extent. The difference is, most of us don't make YouTube videos
Biased? Towards what or whom? Actually they just posted a video on this very topic:

08-30-2018, 02:24 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bert J Quote
Biased? Towards what or whom? Actually they just posted a video on this very topic:

Nikon Z7 Review: People are MAD at us - YouTube
I find their videos very good if I have the sound off, especially if I'm doing something else at the time, rather than watch the screen.
Jokes aside: My life is too short for another 11 minutes of Sony Northrop. Can you sum it up in two or three sentences?
08-30-2018, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you sum it up in two or three sentences?
I'll have a go - they said they're independent, they pay for all their own kit and they speak as they find, with a few historic clips of slagging off Sony kit.

I think that's about it - I watched it a couple of days ago, or whenever it came out.

Last edited by ffking; 08-30-2018 at 02:38 AM.
08-30-2018, 02:29 AM   #56
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I'll have a go - they said they're independent, they pay for all their own kit and they speak as they find, with a few historic clips of slagging off Sony ki.

I think that's about it - I watched it a couple of days ago, or whenever it came out.
Brilliant, thanks!
08-30-2018, 02:34 AM   #57

I find their videos very good if I have the sound off, especially if I'm doing something else at the time, rather than watch the screen.
Jokes aside: My life is too short for another 11 minutes of Sony Northrop. Can you sum it up in two or three sentences?
That's the point with most videos. Reading the same content takes a fraction of the time. Visualization may have other advantages, but watching 2 people speak with slides thrown into the background, I don't see the advantage.
08-30-2018, 02:44 AM   #58
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Biased? Towards what or whom? Actually they just posted a video on this very topic
In the recent past - by which I mean the last two or three years - they've shown a particularly strong preference towards Sony mirrorless. It's not a black-and-white bias of "Sony mirrorless is great and everything else sucks"... but a bias nonetheless; at least, that's the impression I've gained watching their videos, and I don't seem to be the only one who's picked up on it. But, like I said already, I think we're all biased to a greater or lesser extent. I'm biased towards Pentax gear because I enjoy shooting with it. Still, I favour Sony mirrorless for shooting adapted lenses...
08-30-2018, 03:09 AM - 1 Like   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They don't get their income from camera companies at the moment, they get them from YouTube advertising, so they make their money pushing out as many general appeal vids as they can in a month.

Jason Lanier is salutary - he took Sony's coin, became perceived as biased, his viewers dropped off, and he's lost his sponsorship. Not sure where that leaves him. How do you come back from that?

DPR I think are incredibly problematic.

As Amazon's propaganda arm, they both do reviews of camera gear and sell the stuff. That's conflict of interest, right there.

It'd do my head in if someone could also show they accept advertising money from camera manufacturers.

Everyone tries to monetize. This site has affiliate status of some kind with B&H and Adorama, for instance.
08-30-2018, 07:59 AM   #60
Banned

Nikon Z7 Review: People are MAD at us - YouTube
Well this is strange. So Nikon flies out people from all over the world. Puts them in a hotel. Invites them to an event for the Z. And then let people play with the Z7 in a room with sub par light. Well that brings disappointment to them.