Sol45

Sol45

01-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Sol45
You know...I had just about come to the decision to sell my DSLR kit and move to using just the GR - since having the GR I barely use my K-3II. I figured sell everything, buy the GRIII once it's out and I'd be set.

I would sorely miss the Velvet 56 though, and this Sol is really tugging at me.

I'm a step further away from the edge after seeing these images.
01-01-2019, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
You know...I had just about come to the decision to sell my DSLR kit and move to using just the GR - since having the GR I barely use my K-3II. I figured sell everything, buy the GRIII once it's out and I'd be set.

I would sorely miss the Velvet 56 though, and this Sol is really tugging at me.

I'm a step further away from the edge after seeing these images.
Ha! Here's a couple more;

I get what you're saying about ditching the dslr in favour of the GR, although I don't own one I have come close to grabbing one a few times, IQ wise it's superb indeed and if you're not shooting for paid events then I really think it could make a decent all rounder shooter. I too watch the GRIII with interest.
28mm (with AF) is a focal length I am missing also, I really debate whether to save for a FA31 or get a GRIII. I already 'dual wield' at events (K-1+KP) so adding a 3rd camera to give another prime focal length isn't as ridiculous as it sounds, and of course it then serves nicely as a walkaround shooter for those times when I don't want to carry a full on dslr.

I do however have the KP, with the small grip it's a pretty compact camera and thus I never really jump over to the GR camp because of that. If I wasn't shooting for money I would probably sell the KP and get a GR, have one full frame camera and one ultra compact.

I really should test the lensbabies out on a crop sensor, thus far all the images I've ever taken with them have been sitting on the K-1!
01-01-2019, 03:20 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I really should test the lensbabies out on a crop sensor, thus far all the images I've ever taken with them have been sitting on the K-1!
They suffer a bit on crop since they're mostly edge-effects and APSC crops a lot of the most interesting parts. I considered buying a K-1 just to get the best out of the Velvet.

For me, having high-end IQ that slips into a shirt pocket is really liberating. I have images from occasions where I would never dream of taking a bagful of DSLR, but that you could never achieve with a phone (at least yet). I cannot recommend the GR enough...

01-01-2019, 07:20 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They suffer a bit on crop since they're mostly edge-effects and APSC crops a lot of the most interesting parts. I considered buying a K-1 just to get the best out of the Velvet.

For me, having high-end IQ that slips into a shirt pocket is really liberating. I have images from occasions where I would never dream of taking a bagful of DSLR, but that you could never achieve with a phone (at least yet). I cannot recommend the GR enough...
Interesting, I did think that crop wouldn't realise the full potential of some of the lensbaby line up, because as you say the interesting edge stuff literally gets cropped off or lacks the punch FF has in this regard. I am definitely keen to do some comparison shots now...

IQ wise I cannot tell the difference between the K-1 and KP, and I have seen excellent GRII shots where again the IQ is hard to differentiate. I mean I guess pixel peeping can reveal a lot but 'as is' things can be very hard to pin down.

I noticed that lensbaby seem to support smaller sensor cameras, like micro thirds is it or something? Could it be that perhaps ditching Pentax/Ricoh altogether and moving to a smaller sensor system that still enables lens swapping and the lensbaby line up is worth considering? Some of the mirrorless cameras are also pretty compact (though not pocketable like a GR.
01-02-2019, 06:31 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some of the mirrorless cameras are also pretty compact (though not pocketable like a GR.
I don't think it would make a lot of difference to me. If it doesn't fit in a pocket, then it means taking a bag or slinging it over my shoulder on a strap. If I have half a dozen possible lenses to use, I will want to take a selection rather than commit to one. That means popping to the shop or to visit a friend requires a bagful of kit, which means another reason to shrug my shoulders and leave it behind, which means another few missed opportunities.

For me if it's not pocketable, then it makes no difference if it's a full FF kit or a MILC or a bridge...it's all too big to always be with me.
01-02-2019, 12:16 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think it would make a lot of difference to me. If it doesn't fit in a pocket, then it means taking a bag or slinging it over my shoulder on a strap. If I have half a dozen possible lenses to use, I will want to take a selection rather than commit to one. That means popping to the shop or to visit a friend requires a bagful of kit, which means another reason to shrug my shoulders and leave it behind, which means another few missed opportunities.

For me if it's not pocketable, then it makes no difference if it's a full FF kit or a MILC or a bridge...it's all too big to always be with me.
I get that, I mean if I take my KP it still means a shoulder bag, it just might feel a bit lighter and I might be able to cram a second lens in or something. I think that's one of the truly strong selling points of the GR, it has unreal IQ in a truly pocketable format.

01-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #38
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
So please take some pictures with Sol 45 and KP. I'm considering Sol 45 but I have K-70 only.
I can crop sample pictures from Sol45 to see what will be left on APS-C. But typically photographer with the same lens but different sensor size will change the composition. This is why I'd like to see some pictures really taken with your KP - when you were actually looking with cropped angle of view while taking the picture.
01-04-2019, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by asalwa Quote
So please take some pictures with Sol 45 and KP. I'm considering Sol 45 but I have K-70 only.
I can crop sample pictures from Sol45 to see what will be left on APS-C. But typically photographer with the same lens but different sensor size will change the composition. This is why I'd like to see some pictures really taken with your KP - when you were actually looking with cropped angle of view while taking the picture.
I'll do that for you today, I'll tripod up even and swap cameras with the lens to hopefully illustrate the difference somewhat of the effect. I'll do it with the Velvet 56 as well as Sol 45. Watch this space.
01-04-2019, 03:24 PM   #40
Forum Member

I'll do that for you today, I'll tripod up even and swap cameras with the lens to hopefully illustrate the difference somewhat of the effect. I'll do it with the Velvet 56 as well as Sol 45. Watch this space.
Hold on!
If you setup a tripod and swap cameras, then the result will be more or less equivalent to cropping in postprocessing.
I was thinking more about approaching the same scene/subject, and then creatively framing/composing with one camera and then the other. Changed sensor size may force you to "zoom with your feet, etc". This is something that I cannot predict without Sol 45 on my K-70.

BTW, I feel more and more convinced to buy this Sol 45.
I spend long time debating on this because usually I'm a fan of wide angle shots. 45 mm on APS-C is definitely far from wide angle But if it is giving nice results, I'll try it.
01-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hold on!
If you setup a tripod and swap cameras, then the result will be more or less equivalent to cropping in postprocessing.
I was thinking more about approaching the same scene/subject, and then creatively framing/composing with one camera and then the other. Changed sensor size may force you to "zoom with your feet, etc". This is something that I cannot predict without Sol 45 on my K-70.

I spend long time debating on this because usually I'm a fan of wide angle shots. 45 mm on APS-C is definitely far from wide angle But if it is giving nice results, I'll try it.
Yeah I'll do it all dw, I'll take the shot, change camera at the same spot AND also (using the other camera as a scene reference set up a second tripod further back to approximate the same FoV for the KP and shoot from their also.
01-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hold on!

Ok, here's some results. Please forgive the positioning and lack of properly distancing myself back with the KP to take on an exact same distance/FoV to the original K-1 shot. It was 40 degrees today, roasting hot and I looked for a place in shade on my street that I could cower under for the shots. It didn't leave much room to back up before I started sliding down a banking
I processed the images every so slightly as I feel it helps show the Sol45 effect more than sometimes a blandish SOOC.

Without further ado;

K-1, without blades.

KP, without blades, moved back on a different tripod to recreate similar FoV to the original K-1.

K-1, with blades

KP, with blades, moved back on a different tripod to recreate similar FoV to the original K-1.

And just for reference sake, what the KP looked like FoV when replacing the K-1 in it's original tripod;

KP, without blades, same spot/tripod where K-1 took it's shots.

KP, with blades, same spot/tripod where K-1 took it's shots.

Apologies for the uninspiring subject matter.

My conclusion is the effect is still there, quite pronounced, I don't think you have much to worry on crop sensor.
01-07-2019, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #43
Forum Member

40 degrees yesterday? Nice It's -13 today on the opposite side of the Earth.
Thank you very much for pictures, this is what I was thinking about!
I'll order mine today.
01-10-2019, 03:59 AM - 4 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First shot with the Sol 45 with it's +2 Macro Ring;
01-20-2019, 11:15 AM - 3 Likes   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Couple more with the +2 ring;

Last edited by BruceBanner; 01-24-2019 at 12:44 PM.