Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2018, 04:16 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lensbaby announces new lens - Sol - available for Pentax

Typically Lensbaby...but if you like their stuff, this does look fun. And cheap. And available in PK from launch.

Lensbaby SOL Creative Effect Camera Lens – Tilt. Focus. Shoot.

08-07-2018, 05:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks quite interesting. I like my Composer, but I may have to try this.
08-07-2018, 06:13 AM   #3

It's always good to see more lenses for Pentax, but this one is not for me. But more lenses can do only good to relatively small system like ours.
08-07-2018, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MatKus Quote
It's always good to see more lenses for Pentax, but this one is not for me. But more lenses can do only good to relatively small system like ours.
Lensbaby are good on this front - nearly all of their lenses have a PK option. I guess it helps that they are all full-manual non-electronic lenses so it's just a matter of screwing on a mechanical mount. But all the same, those Canikony users all see Pentax in the drop down, so it's sure to have some positive effect.

---------- Post added 08-07-18 at 06:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
It looks quite interesting. I like my Composer, but I may have to try this.
It seems fairly similar in principle to the composer, but with the added 'bokeh blades' on the front. Still looks fun and cheap enough to give it a go without losing too much if you don't like it and decide to sell.

08-07-2018, 06:46 AM   #5

Are Lenbaby lenses fully mechanic? That is to say, do they communicate lens info to the camera? Does SR make any sense for tilt-shift lenses? So many questions....
08-07-2018, 07:11 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Just wondering if one couldn't accomplish the same thing with a regular lens and a Photoshop plug-in or LR preset? I get it, some of us might be purists but just asking from a practical perspective?
08-07-2018, 07:14 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tranzistors Quote
Are Lenbaby lenses fully mechanic? That is to say, do they communicate lens info to the camera? Does SR make any sense for tilt-shift lenses? So many questions....
Yes. No. Yes...just input the correct focal length.

---------- Post added 08-07-18 at 07:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Hegemon Quote
Just wondering if one couldn't accomplish the same thing with a regular lens and a Photoshop plug-in or LR preset? I get it, some of us might be purists but just asking from a practical perspective?
In some cases, yes fairly easily with lens blur effects. But very time consuming to get natural looking falloff and transitions. Impossible in some cases, particularly with foreground and background elements overlapping. People said the same thing about the Velvet 56 and I have never seen a convincing looking example done with PP.

08-07-2018, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Yes. No. Yes...just input the correct focal length.

---------- Post added 08-07-18 at 07:16 AM ----------

In some cases, yes fairly easily with lens blur effects. But very time consuming to get natural looking falloff and transitions. Impossible in some cases, particularly with foreground and background elements overlapping. People said the same thing about the Velvet 56 and I have never seen a convincing looking example done with PP.
On one hand I will agree, somewhat. I have 3 different optics for my composer, double glass, glass and plastic, all which have varying degrees of blur. With a lot of time spent in photoshop, which I’ve done, you can get sort of close to the double glass, but it just wasn’t the same.

You can create some very interesting results with photoshop, but the lensbaby is unique. Plus it’s straight out of the camera.
08-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More detail and a 'first look' video here, plus pre-orders (in the UK)
Lensbaby Announces Sol 45 and Sol 22
08-07-2018, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really like and use my Velvet 56, for food and travel stories, but the new Sol looks like a bit different cup of tea, and worth the small price to play...
08-07-2018, 01:21 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Typically Lensbaby...but if you like their stuff, this does look fun. And cheap. And available in PK from launch.

Lensbaby SOL Creative Effect Camera Lens – Tilt. Focus. Shoot.
Hmmm, this could be a fun toy on the Q7...
08-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Looks enticing. And the price is right. It's already in stock at B&H too.
08-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Looks pretty cool for folks wanting that near standard length bokeh monster but you can't afford the new D FA 50 1.4!
08-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like a fun lens. Cheap too.
08-08-2018, 08:11 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like they've sold half a dozen just here! Good to reward them for supporting Pentax!