Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2018, 03:06 AM   #166
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To turn things a bit more positive, it is clear that this is one of the best 50mm lenses available for under 2000 dollars. It is sharp from wide open and has excellent contrast. Issues with loca may show up, but are unlikely to present themselves in normal shooting situations.

The Sigma 50mm Art is also an excellent lens which also has some loca, but is a bit cheaper than the DFA *50. It also isn't available for k mount (which rules it out for my purposes).

DP Review is not blatantly dishonest, but they do tend to emphasize the negatives when it comes to Pentax more than some of the competitors. We are probably better off not reading DP Review, but many of the folks who are members here are members there and comment in both places and it is a repository for (mostly useless) information that people go to when making buying decisions. It may be useless to try to set the record straight, but I do think people need to know there is another point of view out there. Certainly if I relied on them for my gear purchases, I would be shooting with a Sony now...

08-13-2018, 03:20 AM   #167
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
...in the meantime that Asiatic guy (can't remember his name, the one with the annoying launch "whazgoinoooon Youtuuuuube!") has done a video on a side-by-side test of the new 50mm against the Sigma Art.
The Pentax chewed the Sigma, and then spit it out.

This of course provided that the test was made in a serious way (I can't guarantee, since I wasn't there).
08-13-2018, 03:31 AM - 1 Like   #168
Pentaxian

That's a case where the overall brand image of Pentax affect how a singular Pentax product is evaluated.
08-13-2018, 03:44 AM - 3 Likes   #169
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
We don't know how much of it is Co designed and what is meant as co designed
Seriously, Ian, you need to read this *thoroughly* before posting either at DPR or here:

Development Story | HD PENTAX-D FA?50mm F1.4 SDM AW | PENTAX STAR LENS | RICOH IMAGING

You're a brand jumper aren't you?

If the Tokina version is as anywhere near good you need to buy it for your camera and throw away whatever Nikon 50mm you own.

08-13-2018, 04:23 AM   #170
Veteran Member

Hi guys & gals, I dont get the fuss about this lens I am sure those who want it or have bought it take all this, bad reviews etc, with a pinch of salt, I unfortunately cannot afford it for a while, that being said it doesnt seem to be a first purchase lens either for a newby, stand to be corrected, good shooting for the fortunates who have it, regards ian
08-13-2018, 04:30 AM - 2 Likes   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
Hi guys & gals, I dont get the fuss about this lens I am sure those who want it or have bought it take all this, bad reviews etc, with a pinch of salt, I unfortunately cannot afford it for a while, that being said it doesnt seem to be a first purchase lens either for a newby, stand to be corrected, good shooting for the fortunates who have it, regards ian
I think the problem is that a lot of people think of DPR as a source of impartial, reliable information - which it maybe once was, but isn't any more. The constant negativity, looking for problems with Pentax, highlighting of problems they don't see as problems in other brands and grudging praise of Pentax all create the possibility that peoplewho don't know the system will be put off from trying it out - it's the potential damage to potential new customers that is the concern.
08-13-2018, 04:31 AM - 2 Likes   #172
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
Hi guys & gals, I dont get the fuss about this lens...
Probably the most significant aspect of this lens is that it demonstrates that Pentax can do it as well as anybody. This should yield a step towards the resurrection of Pentax as a serious quality brand.

08-13-2018, 04:32 AM   #173
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Probably the most significant aspect of this lens is that it demonstrates that Pentax can do it as well as better than anybody. This should yield a step towards the resurrection of Pentax as a serious quality brand.
FTFY
08-13-2018, 04:36 AM   #174

One wonders if it wouldn't actually be a better sport for DPR to stop reviewing/commenting on Pentax gear altogether. I mean they've painted themselves into a corner where they can't write about Pentax without it becoming a s*itfest. I do believe that some of their writers who would be able to write non-confrontingly may even throw up their hands beforehand because they honestly believe that 'eh, can't please them so * do I care' and be partially correct.
08-13-2018, 04:40 AM - 2 Likes   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fromunderthebridge Quote
One wonders if it wouldn't actually be a better sport for DPR to stop reviewing/commenting on Pentax gear altogether. I mean they've painted themselves into a corner where they can't write about Pentax without it becoming a s*itfest. I do believe that some of their writers who would be able to write non-confrontingly may even throw up their hands beforehand because they honestly believe that 'eh, can't please them so * do I care' and be partially correct.
Speaking personally, they could easily please me with fair and impartial comments that recognised the pluses as well as the minuses with Pentax gear and avoided snide insinuations.
08-13-2018, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #176

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Speaking personally, they could easily please me with fair and impartial comments that recognised the pluses as well as the minuses with Pentax gear and avoided snide insinuations.
I mean, yeah, they could. I'm considering the off chance that there would be someone who wanted to do that, but was already unmotivated because of the perceived rash of antagonistic pentax users. Do note that I agree that the Pentax coverage is generally unreasonable in its tone (and the antipathy by pentax users is justified to an extent). I'm just wondering, if they even have a way out anymore without looking like they have capitulated or smth.
08-13-2018, 04:49 AM   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You're a brand jumper aren't you?
Lowes or Onkaparinga?

---------- Post added 08-13-18 at 10:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
The Pentax chewed the Sigma, and then spit it out.
Well, maybe?...He showed an Older model Nikon with a Sigma lens compared to a Pentax with a Pentax lens.

It will be interesting to see that Nik camera with the Tokina Opera lens on it?
08-13-2018, 04:57 AM   #178
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well after all some says that all publicity is good. Atleast people are talking about Pentax...some with ther heads still working will look and actually see, if it is ’that’ bad. Or even really good. It is easy to throw dirt when you find lot other thinking like you, but when your public finds something else to pick, you will end up looking weird... Ricoh being able to pull something like this out, and in good prize ratio(!) has again showed that it is good enough to be talking about, perhaps even to be had in your bag. Only problem is that gear is coming out so slow. Even if it is top notch. Too much going on at the same time. But there is plenty of gear to buy still TBH.
08-13-2018, 04:58 AM - 2 Likes   #179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Well, maybe?...He showed an Older model Nikon with a Sigma lens compared to a Pentax with a Pentax lens.
You mean, a Nikon with the same sensor? That's so unfair
08-13-2018, 05:00 AM   #180
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Lowes or Onkaparinga?

---------- Post added 08-13-18 at 10:53 PM ----------

It will be interesting to see that Nik camera with the Tokina Opera lens on it?
It will be interesting. I still think that Tokina opera 50/1,4 will chew Nikon 50 with no problem. Then one can say that Nikon is older lens desing..too old...should make refresh