Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2018, 02:48 PM - 4 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it is kind of amazing that this lens is generating this kind of buzz. It is after all the lowly 50. The first lens those with film cameras got and often ignored. I used the heck out of a Nikon 50mm f/2 (yes a lowly f/2) and I think over time I mastered it. The perspective of a fifty demands something from you that few other lenses do. You have to find an interesting shot with very little perspective change from your own vision. While that sounds good - it doesn't offer the creative opportunity that a wide angle or telephoto does where you can add emphasis to a small area or bring a foreground object to new significance.

08-09-2018, 02:57 PM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The perspective of a fifty demands something from you that few other lenses do. You have to find an interesting shot with very little perspective change from your own vision. While that sounds good - it doesn't offer the creative opportunity that a wide angle or telephoto does where you can add emphasis to a small area or bring a foreground object to new significance.
Agreed. The 50mm field of view (on full frame) is a blessing in its versatility, yet more of a creative challenge than some people might think. Much footwork required, depending on the scenario and how you "think" optically... But I do love a fast fifty
08-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think it is kind of amazing that this lens is generating this kind of buzz.
Pretty neat indeed, and it certainly seems to perform stellarly on the K-1 II. This has to be a good thing for getting Pentax noticed. I know it's easy to put on the rose colored glasses when you hang out with folks who have similar views and interests, but it really feels like they are carving out their niche as a top tier enthusiast camera, and it looks like there's a market for it.
08-09-2018, 03:01 PM - 3 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnkrumm Quote
Whatever CA there is, and I don't doubt it's there, it's not obvious enough to bother me at all with my images. This is my best corrected lens. Plus, it has lovely contrast and color. Despite its size I find myself looking for reasons to go out and use it. I'm taking more photos and having more fun.
The thing that I don't get is, this longitudinal CA, when it happens at very wide apertures, happens in the bokeh. Who on their right mind wants to correct bokeh?

The whole tone of the that sounded like they were just trying to find something to be dismissive of the lens, and had to begrudgingly admit that the optics are excellent - but nevermind that, your bokeh has longitudinal CA in it when you shoot against really bright light!

Oh, and I forgot to mention another positive: the pictures taken for the review great.

08-09-2018, 03:02 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just read the review and perhaps I'm just used to DPreview having a negative overall slant to pretty much any Pentax product but I did not find the overall tone that negative. Most folks looking to spend the money it takes to go full frame should have some level of knowledge to understand that most any product is going to have a week spot or two. Yes it costs a good deal of money as it should as a new lens. lets see if the Ol' Camera Store TV folks now DP video guys do a review of this lens.

One day I'd love to see DP do a review of products based on why I selected Pentax several years ago. One day to photograph a location (vacation) and it's raining/poor weather. I'm not staying inside as it's my only day. Pick any Nikon, Canon, Sony and so on and at any price point, Pentax is the best option. I started with the K-50 and loved it day 1.
08-09-2018, 03:02 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Amazon's DPR is there to sell cameras. They could care less about the small Brands. ALL their reviews are questionable.
08-09-2018, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I guess what bugs me isn't the fact that some people think this is a Tokina lens - the tone of the article, "Almost certainly..." but that they accept this without any proof and then demand proof that it is in fact a Pentax original design. I'm really at a loss as to the combative nature of the writer in the comments about this also.

Beyond that the comments are ... interesting. The references to the K-1 as a sluggish brick were hard to swallow.
That's pretty silly. Pentax sold the design to Tokina...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's pretty silly. Pentax sold the design to Tokina...
Right. But when you try to link to the interview to prove it they say they same article talks about the 15-30 and 24-70 in similar language. Of course it doesn't, it talks about Pentax starting to design those lenses and never concludes with info on how hard it was and the level of detail on the DFA 50. But it would be helpful if there were more specific proof to showcase this.

08-09-2018, 03:42 PM   #24
Pentaxian

At least it can be said that DPR is consistent. While the rest of the internet are praising the DFA* 50, DPR have managed
to stay their course in justifying why they don't like Pentax and engineered a review to reinforce their viewpoint. The few
images supplied in the review are all taken under harsh or at least less than ideal lighting. Any praise is quickly diluted
with an unqualified critique. At this point, that's about the best one might expect from a DPR Pentax review. It will be very
interesting to compare this review with the rebadged Opera version of the lens when it hits the streets.
08-09-2018, 03:45 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

I wonder if they tried to generate CA with other lenses, too.
08-09-2018, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Haters Gonna Hate, why serious about them.
08-09-2018, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It will be interesting to see how DPR fairs in the long term. At some point, the knowledgeable audience will go elsewhere because they'll realize the bias. But perhaps not their worry if they are click driven and target someone surfing camera sites for the first time looking for a review for a one off type purchase
08-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #28
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've starting going there for the entertainment since quite some time: the days when I kinda trusted them (let's say the times of the Fuji "orbs" issue, or thereabouts) are long gone.
I've stopped reading Ren Cockwell altogether (which is the next step), since he's not even funny anymore, just sad.

They're doing all the damage to themselves, really.
08-09-2018, 04:29 PM   #29
Pentaxian

DPR= Denies Pentax Review or Doom Pentax Review.
08-09-2018, 05:17 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some random thoughts. It seems that that the DFA has a different optical design than the upcoming mega Tokina Opera50mm - two more elements on the DFA if reports are correct. It may be fair to mention CA's on a lens over $1K, but if $3K lenses are not doing any better wide open, why dwell on it? I do like the overall rendering of the samples, much better than anything else Pentax in this size range, But this lens is big enough for a tripod color, well not quite, but this lens is bigger and heavier than an FA77mm or even an F/FA135mm. So I'm wondering outside of bragging rights, who this lens is for that would justify the cost and weight?