Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2018, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DPReview manages to do a negative review of the DFA*50

Hands-on with the Pentax HD FA* 50mm F1.4 (for real this time): Digital Photography Review

So they don't try at all to dwell on the lens sharpness, contrast, beautiful colors... all they want to talk about is the lens longitudinal CA in harsh light. As if it wasn't an f/1.4 design and easily exceeding any other 50 1.4 design with the possible exception of the Zeiss Otus in that regard...

Oh and at the end they basically say it's a rebadged Tokina, and from the comments section, people buy into it and someone even says they wouldn't buy it because it's not a real Pentax lens...

(The only positive thing that can come out of this is that we'll exceed our posts target for the K-1 giveaway much more easily... lol)

08-09-2018, 01:24 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't that expected ?
DPR is totally "Doomed" !
08-09-2018, 01:51 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess what bugs me isn't the fact that some people think this is a Tokina lens - the tone of the article, "Almost certainly..." but that they accept this without any proof and then demand proof that it is in fact a Pentax original design. I'm really at a loss as to the combative nature of the writer in the comments about this also.

Beyond that the comments are ... interesting. The references to the K-1 as a sluggish brick were hard to swallow.
08-09-2018, 01:54 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm honestly not going to read the DPR review this time. They do enough unjustified damage to the brand without needing to upset me.

The other reviews I have seen so far of the DFA*50 have been completely glowing!

08-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

They did mention that their experience with Pentax gear in bad weather has been very reassuring, as well as saying that overall the lens gives excellent performance and makes nice sun stars... But you are right, they mostly talk about longitudinal CA. If I were not looking for positives I'd probably conclude that it was a bad lens... After all, it's much easier to miss the 5 words "overall the lens gives excellent performance" than the 3 pages of talking about longitudinal CA.
08-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I'm honestly not going to read the DPR review this time. They do enough unjustified damage to the brand without needing to upset me.

The other reviews I have seen so far of the DFA*50 have been completely glowing!
The tone more than the stated facts are where it goes wrong. I skimmed it and read every comment. The elements of a good review are there but the emphasis seems to have been placed on the negatives.
08-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
(The only positive thing that can come out of this is that we'll exceed our posts target for the K-1 giveaway much more easily... lol)
There always is a silver lining

08-09-2018, 02:09 PM - 7 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently learned that when an English longbowman was captured the middle finger of his right hand was removed.

Mine is present.

Here it is, DPR.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-12-2018 at 12:26 PM.
08-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote

I'm actually gonna stop reading this thread for the same reason, let alone the DPR review ;-)
08-09-2018, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was actually expecting worse. While I think they are over playing the CA, which I think most audiences outside of knowledgeable photographers won't even see, they did do a page complimenting the starburst and another the bokeh. Where I think the author and the posters in the review miss the boat is no mention of the Aerobright coatings. This sets Pentax apart from everyone else, and is especially important when getting into the Tokina cabal
08-09-2018, 02:23 PM - 4 Likes   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think it's a particularly negative review - especially considering the source. I'd agree that they don't spend much (any?) time on the most impressive aspects of the IQ, and - IMHO - spend way too long on the relatively-inconsequential longitudinal CA "issue". It's hardly a fanfare review, but overall I read it as quite positive... I don't think we can expect much better from those guys, in all honesty.
08-09-2018, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DPR, what? They are rubbish I never go there at all
They have no credibility what so ever.
08-09-2018, 02:33 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DPR is brilliant! The quality of the paper means it doesn't deteriorate when you rip it into strips and hang it on a nail in the outside loo
08-09-2018, 02:38 PM - 5 Likes   #14

Whatever CA there is, and I don't doubt it's there, it's not obvious enough to bother me at all with my images. This is my best corrected lens. Plus, it has lovely contrast and color. Despite its size I find myself looking for reasons to go out and use it. I'm taking more photos and having more fun.
08-09-2018, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnkrumm Quote
Whatever CA there is, and I don't doubt it's there, it's not obvious enough to bother me at all with my images. This is my best corrected lens. Plus, it has lovely contrast and color. Despite its size I find myself looking for reasons to go out and use it. I'm taking more photos and having more fun.
That's pretty much all the review this lens needs, in my view. Well said, sir.