Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2018, 03:13 AM - 3 Likes   #226
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For what it is worth, this is the sort performance I see with the DA *55 at f1.4 without the lens profile checked in Lightroom. I will say that I don't use the lens hood with this lens on full frame as I do think it makes vignetting a whole lot worse.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
08-14-2018, 03:20 AM   #227
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
What do you want to bet that when the Tokina version is reviewed, it will get nothing but glowing praise? And it will get reviewed, it's too big a deal for Canon and Nikon owners to be ignored.
Nothing, I don't do losing bets!
08-14-2018, 03:53 AM - 1 Like   #228
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What do you want to bet that when the Tokina version is reviewed, it will get nothing but glowing praise? And it will get reviewed, it's too big a deal for Canon and Nikon owners to be ignored.
What do you bet the Pentax version doesn't get a full review - too small a deal, and too hard to find fault with
08-14-2018, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
What do you bet the Pentax version doesn't get a full review - too small a deal, and too hard to find fault with
DPR doesn't generally do lens reviews. A hands-on or brief report (not a full review) is the normal form. But I am sure most people on here know that perfectly well and this isn't the point driving your discussion.

Pentax forums wasn't like this a few years ago. Now, some people don't have a good word to say about anything and the same vituperative memes go round and round. Pentax equipment isn't perfect. So what? No one's is or will ever be. Zeiss and Hasselblad aren't perfect either. You either like what you choose or you don't but who on earth cares what the next guy thinks of it? You didn't buy it for him but for you.

Do you actually want to get out there and enjoy life or just sit in here fulminating at the turn you think the world has taken? I simply do not encounter this kind of atmosphere on other forums where photographers gather.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-14-2018 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Keeping it reasonably friendly
08-14-2018, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #230

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
You either like what you choose or you don't but who on earth cares what the next guy thinks of it?
If you want to establish relationships with “the next guy”, it would be nice if you wouldn't have to overcome not being taken seriously.

Do you actually want to get out there and enjoy life or just sit in here fulminating at the turn you think the world has taken?
This is News and Rumours section. There are plenty of sections with super positive and helpful posts.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-14-2018 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Edited quoted post
08-14-2018, 05:25 AM - 4 Likes   #231
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

DPR doesn't generally do lens reviews. A hands-on or brief report (not a full review) is the normal form. But I am sure most people on here know that perfectly well and this isn't the point driving your discussion.

Pentax forums wasn't like this a few years ago. Now, some people don't a good word to say about anything and the same vituperative memes go round and round. Pentax equipment isn't perfect. So what? No one's is or will ever be. Zeiss and Hasselblad aren't perfect either. You either like what you choose or you don't but who on earth cares what the next guy thinks of it? You didn't buy it for him but for you.

Do you actually want to get out there and enjoy life or just sit in here fulminating at the turn you think the world has taken? I simply do not encounter this kind of atmosphere on other forums where photographers gather.
Do you spend time on the Forums or just go to the News and Rumors section? Because if you spend most of your time here, you get a very different picture of what the Forum is actually like. Go to some of the post your photos sections and the picture is quite different.

I imagine you don't spend as much time in those sections because you don't shoot with Pentax cameras, but honestly, those sections of the Forum are more enjoyable, quite positive and are less "gear centric" than other sections of the Forum. At the same time, I do think Pentaxians have a bit of a complex after being told for years and years that Pentax is about to shutter their business, that their gear isn't really worth shooting, that Pentax was late to everything from digital to full frame to mirrorless, when the truth is that Pentax makes excellent gear (both camera bodies and lenses) and if you can't get good photos with their cameras, the problem probably lies a few inches behind the (optical) viewfinder.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-14-2018 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Edited quoted post
08-14-2018, 05:26 AM - 4 Likes   #232
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax forums wasn't like this a few years ago. Now, some people don't a good word to say about anything and the same vituperative memes go round and round. Pentax equipment isn't perfect. So what? No one's is or will ever be. Zeiss and Hasselblad aren't perfect either. You either like what you choose or you don't but who on earth cares what the next guy thinks of it? You didn't buy it for him but for you.

OK - two things (or maybe more):

First, my use of smileys is intended to indicate that the post shouldn't be taken too seriously - I do realise that, like hazard lights on cars, there is no universally accepted use for them, and other people might use or interpret smileys differently

Second, I spend quite a bit of time on DPR Pentax threads trying politely to correct misapprehensions, produce a counter-narrative to hostile comments and encourage positive approaches. Occasionally I let that slip - I'm only human - but the vast majority of my posts are in that vein. I think I'm overwhelmingly positive here as well, giving honest opinions and not looking for or sustaining fights. Now I know you are talking generally, but as you picked my comment as the one on which to hook your observations, Ithink I'm justified in engaging personally.

DPR ARE negative towards Pentax - there are a lot of comments from people on the hands-on review in question with no dog in the fight (if you take them at their word) who commented on this. They are also not averse to snide digs, which should be beneath them. It is a concern to those who want to see Pentax prosper because if unchecked it might put people who might otherwise have bought into the brand off. That's why I, personally, engage there. But yes, people do get over-defensive sometimes - remember though, insulting a brand is insulting the judgement of those who use it - and triumphalism is just as ugly as unjustified attacks.

As far as PF is concerned, my feeling is that the vast majority of users don't want to see hostility and arguments, but there are people who insist in bringing negativity in and raining on other people's parades. I tend not to engage, other than pointing out factual errors on the rare occasions that I know the facts and the poster is simply wrong, and that is my way. Other people have a different way, whether through culture or personality, and sometimes arguments reach a point where the moderators have to step in, other times disagreements flare up and simmer down quickly - but a forum is a place where you should be allowed to express your views. Protracted arguments are, for the most part, the result of an individual refusing to back down from a hostile or negative viewpoint, and that's unfortunate, but life's like that. But really, I think that robust discussion is often the best route to the truth. I really do find that for the most part there is just banter and sharing, as there should be - and I've never yet got close to putting anybody on my ignore list.

[Please note: some of the comments I was responding to have been removed by moderators.]

Last edited by ffking; 08-14-2018 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Edited quoted post
08-14-2018, 05:32 AM - 2 Likes   #233
bxf
Veteran Member

Do you actually want to get out there and enjoy life or just sit in here fulminating at the turn you think the world has taken?
Despite all the defensive and offensive comments one can find here, there is no evidence that any forum members actually go into deep depression and allow their lives to be destroyed by their dismay at DPR's reporting tactics.

It's entirely possible that members' complaints do not impact their lives as much as your comments imply they do.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-14-2018 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Edited quoted post
08-14-2018, 06:55 AM   #234
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yikes!
08-14-2018, 06:56 AM   #235
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Folks - let's keep this friendly. I've tried to help by editing one contentious post, the quoted sections of it in some replies, and deleted other replies. I hope we can get on with the thread now?
08-14-2018, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #236
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Folks - let's keep this friendly. I've tried to help by editing one contentious post, the quoted sections of it in some replies, and deleted other replies. I hope we can get on with the thread now?
Thanks.... a little judicisous oversight can be a good thing.
08-14-2018, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #237
Pentaxian

Wow...some how it might be that I shall also try ti find tgat ignore button. Same folk allways steers it up till it expands too much.. loving all pictures of new 50. If I will be shooting with one, You know that I got some money from somewhere and with luck! Untill then DA*55 and FA 43 will do.
08-14-2018, 08:34 AM - 3 Likes   #238
Pentaxian

It remains a crime to be happy with Pentax gear for some. It's just sad really
I love this lens, but I won't buy it, It doesn't meet any pressing needs.
But it sure is great to have it out there for the more demanding of us.
Pentax seems to have moved into the "best in class" market after a long absence. It's a welcome move.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
For what it is worth, this is the sort performance I see with the DA *55 at f1.4 without the lens profile checked in Lightroom. I will say that I don't use the lens hood with this lens on full frame as I do think it makes vignetting a whole lot worse.
That first shot on the tricycle is excellent. If i saw it at a craft show i'd be tempted, even though I rarely like shallow DoF photography. I love the curled toes wrapped around the pedal. Definitely a "slice of life" image.

Does anyone actually say "slice of life" anymore?
I'm turning into a dinosaur.

Last edited by normhead; 08-14-2018 at 08:39 AM.
08-14-2018, 09:09 AM   #239
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
First, my use of smileys is intended to indicate that the post shouldn't be taken too seriously - I do realise that, like hazard lights on cars, there is no universally accepted use for them, and other people might use or interpret smileys differently
I've always been somewhat blind to smileys, half the time I don't even see them. They've never been natural to me.
08-14-2018, 04:55 PM - 2 Likes   #240
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I've always been somewhat blind to smileys, half the time I don't even see them. They've never been natural to me.
Because there are cues missing in the written form compared to face to face conversation, Mark, it's real important to pay attention to them.

And somebody that doesn't use them is in real risk of being misinterpreted, they better nail their prose.