Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2008, 12:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
looks pretty awesome. but I would melt it down and put it into a pentax mold...i need the ergonomics.

8)
The answer you were looking for.

09-19-2008, 03:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Yes, but only if..

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
www.imaginginfo.com/web/online/News/Canon-Introduces-Long-Awaited-EOS-5D-Mark-II-DSLR-/3$4196

crazy eh?

looks pretty awesome. but I would melt it down and put it into a pentax mold...i need the ergonomics.

8)
But ONLY if that we print out the Pentax logo and stick it to either a 5D, 5D MkII or just a D700 or A900! ;-D
09-19-2008, 04:56 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
... hmmm... is it true only for our beloved Pentax or competition is a wrong concept in general ?
I think personally, that competition is WRONG for Pentax.

Keeping up with the latest Canon or Nikon trends won't give Pentax any really distinguishing features. Competition doesn't give Pentax a personality.

Competition is needed for marketing and after all, they are in the business of selling cameras and making money. I see *why* competition is seen as necessary in this sense. No brainer. But with Canon and Nikon's domination and it's vastly large user bases numbering into the multimillions, and the comprehensiveness of their systems, there is never going to be anything really to *compete* with them. It's a blowout. Always will be. Let's just call a spade a spade. Pentax should be focusing on attracting users to their innovations, not their competitiveness. Isn't that the perrogative of a niche brand? People don't want wannabes. I want a product that stands on it's on merits, not riding digital coattails.

Innovation should keep Pentax alive, not direct competition. What's the point?

If you want a 5D Mk II, go ahead and get one when it's available. Why not? If it looks good, and you want the features, get it. There IS more to enjoying photography than just using Pentax equipment. There is no reason why Pentax and Canon can't BOTH float your boat. But Canon's LOUD, clickety clack, electronic bricks don't really do it for me personally, even though I do shoot Canon for events and such.

Just my 2 cents from New Jersey.
09-19-2008, 05:29 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Competition doesn't mean doing the same as others.
COmpetition is good as long as you do not barely copy others.

09-19-2008, 06:24 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
I know it might sound romantic but Pentax just needs the best type of "Pentax" for it's users.

I use Pentax because I prefer it, not because it's competes well with a Canon or it's technically better than a Canon. If I wanted Canon specs, I'd shoot with Canon. And I DO have Canon. But I don't want to shoot with that electronic brick unless I have to.
I use Pentax because it is better, not because it is a lovable loser like the Chicago Cubs. BTW, the Cubs are winning this year. The *ist D is better than the Canon 10D IMO. It supports TTL flash (no preflash); Canon supports E-TTL flash (preflash). Since the *ist D was discontinued, Pentax became another me too brand and dumped TTL flash support. The *ist D was low noised, with lovely colors, and I still use it regularly, especially if I need TTL flash. If Pentax has to rely on nostalgia, brand loyalty and sympathy to sell cameras, then it is in deep trouble. It has to be better than its competitors to do well.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
I was under the impression that Pentax didn't make "Me too!" cameras. At least that's what I thought we wanted.
Pentax did not make me-too cameras. Now it does. It has entered the megapixel race full tilt. Its cameras are now no different from the Canon and Nikon equivalents in offering preflash TTL flash only. It is copying Canon, Nikon and Sony in eliminating the aperture ring from its lenses.

QuoteQuote:
Competition won't make a better Pentax. Pentax focusing on Pentax will make a better Pentax. Pentax doesn't need Canon to set the pace. I thought that was the whole idea of being a "niche" brand.
Being a niche brand is euphemism for throwing in the towel and conceding defeat. If Pentax is content in being a niche brand, it may as well sell its assets and move on because it can no longer compete and it will go further downhill from now on. Pentax should instead work day and night to catch up, and bring back TTL flash so it is once again ahead of its competition in at least this one category. Users of other camera brands are complaining about the preflashes causing people to blink. Pentax can eliminate those complaints by bringing back TTL flash. If Sony will let Pentax use the 24mp full frame for a reasonable price, then go ahead and use it. If not, Pentax should be designing a full frame body to go with the Samsung full frame sensor under development, if it has not done so already.

Pentax has hope. It has not painted itself into a corner like Olympus, which has embraced a small sensor format and can find no easy way out, and no easy upgrade path to full frame. Olympus is digging itself deeper into the 4/3 hole by releasing micro 4/3. Curiously the micro 4/3 format is quite similar in size to the Pentax Auto 110, which has a mirror and big bright pentaprism optical viewfinder that even shames the Olympus 4/3 DSLR cameras. If Pentax brings back the 110 body and stuffs a 110 film sized sensor inside, it can trounce the micro 4/3 body. There are already lenses floating around in the used market. All Pentax needs is to add electrical contacts to the mount to update it. The cuteness factor alone virtually guarantees its success in the market place. Pentax can show the world that there is no need to do away with the mirror and viewfinder in order to design a compact interchangeable lens camera.

Last edited by Anastigmat; 09-19-2008 at 06:33 AM.
09-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote

Ha, yes that is exactly what I mean! haha

So, ok you have a hotshoe shotgun mic with a hotshoe on top? what the hell is that, a photoshop job?

It looks like a damn funny satire of the direction of DSLR technology morphing into video equipment... 8)

The rest of this thread has been about as awesome as a bowl of twigs with milk in it....
09-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by Anastigmat Quote
I use Pentax because it is better, not because it is a lovable loser like the Chicago Cubs.
I started using Pentax because the bodies seems very intuitive and the innovations appeal to me. K10D was an awesome experience. Very smooth. It's like an extension of my hand. I can use a Pentax with my eyes closed. With Canon, I still am in the dark, even though I've been using Canon for a while. The system appeals to the hobbyist in me, not the professional. I don't think Pentax is necesarily *better* but it's certainly more fun to shoot with. Not because it's faster, because it's not. Not because their system is more extensive because it's not. I just like the Pentax look, feel, and operation. And I don't think Pentax should really go after the professional market. Professional means Canon or Nikon. Not because they are better. But because their systems are no brainers for pro uses. Their systems and service are more comprehensive, more pro saturation and familiarity, etc.

QuoteQuote:
It has to be better than its competitors to do well.
That point is well taken indeed. But I think it's good to define what doing "well" means to Pentax. I don't know what doing "well" means to them.

QuoteQuote:
Being a niche brand is euphemism for throwing in the towel and conceding defeat. If Pentax is content in being a niche brand, it may as well sell its assets and move on because it can no longer compete and it will go further downhill from now on.
I don't think Pentax has to directly compete head to head with Canons or Nikons. Of course because they are both companies moving camera equipment, in the eyes of consumers, there will always be comparisons between them, just because 2 people are trying to sell the same thing.

But Pentax will never be "the BEST" to the average consumer, just because Canon and Nikon are so well known and what the heck is a "Pentax" besides a quirky name in the eyes of the consumer? It'll always be the alternative or the "smart" alternative. When is Pentax going to stop "alternativing" (my new word ) itself? They don't need to be the alternative. They need to be the choice because of what they offer. That's how it was with me. I didn't care what Canon or Nikon were offering. The K10 just looked super appealing and still is.

Canon and Nikon systems have more going for them away from the quality of the equipment than Pentax. So I think Pentax should focus on the quality of their equipment first and then MUCH more on what it does away from the equipment.

Skip FF until you can deliver a TELEVISION COMMERCIAL. That'll do more than a FF rat race will ever do. Let's just be real.

09-19-2008, 11:27 AM   #23
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Skip FF until you can deliver a TELEVISION COMMERCIAL. That'll do more than a FF rat race will ever do. Let's just be real.
100% Agreed.
09-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #24

Let's don't forget that ffor FF body we need FF lenses. And altough Pentax has a lot of them trough the years, currently there are only about 10 or so. 7 of those are primes under 100 mm, while other three are cheap zoom lenses upt to 300 mm. +2000$ body with 200$ lens? I don't think so
And yes, I know that most of those seven are limiteds, but that's just not enough to be considered as serious contender in FF market...
09-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The main worry is whether there will be enough people to buy pentax FF. For me, I am ready for a Pentax FF because it is fashionable at the moment. I doubt there will be much difference with my shooting level.
09-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote

that scars me

NO VIDEO in my SLR

but it will happen any way
09-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Well, these are my ideas as to whether Pentax will hit back at the 5D mkII or not:

Pentax DSLRs: Does Pentax Need a Full-Frame Camera Right Now? Article by: Miserere

I think Pentax should continue doing its own thing; it's what they're good at.
09-21-2008, 02:54 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LOL...you jest, but to some, this opens up new avenues ;-)
Vincent Laforet’s Blog

Doesn't sound like it's a gimmeck feature to me (nor did the K20D's "video" feature)...I'm willing to keep an open mind...
09-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
Nothing to write home about.

I wouldn't trade it for my K10D. Well, I'd trade it, sell it and buy a K20D or whatever new is coming from Pentax + a couple of lenses.
I agree, well said
09-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Yet another comparing apples with peanut butter thread.
PentaxForums are becoming increasingly polluted with "moaning about pentax" threads from people who miss the point or intent. *sigh*
Thanks to those with intelligent replies above (Marcus etc).