Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Will Pentax have an answer for the Canon 5DMK2?

www.imaginginfo.com/web/online/News/Canon-Introduces-Long-Awaited-EOS-5D-Mark-II-DSLR-/3$4196

crazy eh?

looks pretty awesome. but I would melt it down and put it into a pentax mold...i need the ergonomics.

8)

09-18-2008, 08:20 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nothing to write home about.

I wouldn't trade it for my K10D. Well, I'd trade it, sell it and buy a K20D or whatever new is coming from Pentax + a couple of lenses.
09-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #3

I dont think Pentax should have an answer for 5D mkII, cos Canon are NOT the benchmark for photographic equipment for Pentax to follow them. If someone is so crippled by Pentax they should probably make a switch.

Me happy with Pentax and if I need HD recording, will buy a handycam.

Cheers
Nish

Last edited by bnishanth; 09-18-2008 at 08:50 AM.
09-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would rather have the k20d and pocket the difference or get a DA* lens along with k20d.

09-18-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What is the question ?

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
www.imaginginfo.com/web/online/News/Canon-Introduces-Long-Awaited-EOS-5D-Mark-II-DSLR-/3$4196

crazy eh?

looks pretty awesome. but I would melt it down and put it into a pentax mold...i need the ergonomics.

8)
I see no question here ......
09-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ha, I expected answers like that.

But I also expected some input about Hoya's actions in a competetive photographic market.
Yeah, I was stirring the pot here to see what comes up, but ya know what?

It is 2700 bucks, and I would sell it if I had it, and get 2 K20D's, sell both of my K10D's and get a couple of lenses and a flash.....

All I'm doing with this post looking for responses that have to do with the nature of business, not the nature of photographic precedence
09-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #7

I know it might sound romantic but Pentax just needs the best type of "Pentax" for it's users.

I use Pentax because I prefer it, not because it's competes well with a Canon or it's technically better than a Canon. If I wanted Canon specs, I'd shoot with Canon. And I DO have Canon. But I don't want to shoot with that electronic brick unless I have to.

I was under the impression that Pentax didn't make "Me too!" cameras. At least that's what I thought we wanted.

Competition won't make a better Pentax. Pentax focusing on Pentax will make a better Pentax. Pentax doesn't need Canon to set the pace. I thought that was the whole idea of being a "niche" brand.

09-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #8
Veteran Member

In the nature of the business it would not be wise for Pentax to go against the D700, 5d Mark II. They would need to outclass them to gain market share in that level while making it more a more affordable option. Basically they would need to earn very little to no profit on the camera and rely solely on the lens revenue to keep it up.

Also the question of Pentax's production ability (Would need it for the camera and the lenses). Would they be able to make enough to even get it to the people who wanted them and not take away from it's other lines? I don't know pure facts but from what i've read here it would be difficult for them to do.

Even Canon's engineers said they were pushed on their quality issue by having to make sure the mp's stood up.
Basically to make a market friendly camera in that level they would need near the speed of the Nikon (8fps with bg) and almost the mp of Canon (21mp). Movie mode could be left out because the main audience for that (indie movie makers) are probably not going to look to Pentax with that, but you would get negative media buzz because of it.

Being a niche brand is great but there is only so much R&D you can do with that money to keep up
09-18-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Inactive Account

645d

A 645D would be a real threat... FF? How about superFF?
Would I buy it? Not a chance.
09-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
A 645D would be a real threat... FF? How about superFF?
Would I buy it? Not a chance.
If it costs 1400€ than yes, I would buy it. But we all know that's not about to happen in the next 20 or so years.
09-18-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote

Competition won't make a better Pentax.
... hmmm... is it true only for our beloved Pentax or competition is a wrong concept in general ?
09-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #12

an answer? Did Canon ask something?
09-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you know that with a handycam you can take pictures ?
09-19-2008, 12:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Did you know that with a handycam you can take pictures ?
!

09-19-2008, 12:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
I know it might sound romantic but Pentax just needs the best type of "Pentax" for it's users.

I use Pentax because I prefer it, not because it's competes well with a Canon or it's technically better than a Canon. If I wanted Canon specs, I'd shoot with Canon. And I DO have Canon. But I don't want to shoot with that electronic brick unless I have to.

I was under the impression that Pentax didn't make "Me too!" cameras. At least that's what I thought we wanted.

Competition won't make a better Pentax. Pentax focusing on Pentax will make a better Pentax. Pentax doesn't need Canon to set the pace. I thought that was the whole idea of being a "niche" brand.
I couldn't agree more.

Jason