Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #16
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
every so often I miss a good shot because I accidentally set my camera for 'video' mode
So I'm not the only person who manages to do that. Give me a camera without video any day.

08-19-2018, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #17
Banned

Photos: Gallery
It could be that the 50mm is to late to market to be part in this years eisa award.
08-19-2018, 08:02 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I don't understand what's sad about it The cycle of new product development within Pentax is such that there'll be some years where there are award-worthy products, other years where there aren't, and I don't see why the latter is a problem. Even so, I really don't care about the awards, who wins and who doesn't from year to year. I'd just like Ricoh Imaging to keep developing and releasing high quality, relevant Pentax products. So far, it hasn't disappointed me
I mean "sad" because looks like some people are surprised that Pentax did not win an award.. I dont really care about that, but looks like some do. OTOH, this passivity for releasing relevant products i think that will hurt a lot to the brand in the future, specially in this age that moves so freaking fast about technology, being too passive about it can eventually hurt a brand, but... it all depends what Ricoh wants with Pentax, will they want to keep the user base as long as they can and maybe grow it a little?? .. or will the want to be more aggressive about the market share? who knows, at least nobody here knows, only them..

Last edited by kooks; 08-19-2018 at 08:49 PM.
08-19-2018, 08:43 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Exactly my thoughts. Money is a bias, and that's why we look for independent reviews on the net. That's also what drives the controversy behind dprewiew.
What's the controversy behind dpreview?

08-19-2018, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Advertising is everything about the camera equipment, especially for Sony. All this marketing is aimed at getting money from people who still believe cameras make the difference. Business wise, it works (for Sony), not so much for the guys who spent the money, they are still taking the same kind of photographs after switching brands. When browsing their photo-stream in flickr no one can tell at which point they switched from brand A to brand B , but brand B know when their received the money
08-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
people who still believe cameras make the difference
The thing is that depending on the job, the cameras DOES make a differnece, not every camera is the perfect tool for every task, ofcourse many the jobs can be done with any camera, but perhaps not as easy/good as with an equipment that fits more with what the photographer is looking for.
08-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
The thing is that depending on the job, the cameras DOES make a differnece, not every camera is the perfect tool for every task, ofcourse many the jobs can be done with any camera, but perhaps not as easy/good as with an equipment that fits more with what the photographer is looking for.
That's a general statement. Can you give a specific example?

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-20-2018 at 09:07 AM.
08-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Doomed, I tell you!

Just kidding...or am I?!
08-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Pentax K-1 won a TIPA award, and Pentax K3 got a EISA award. If there is no award in 2018, does it remove the awards of the previous years? Because I was suspicious about my photos being not as good this year, could be due to no EISA award for Pentax this year?
08-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #25
Banned

I think Pentax just didn't meet the requirements to be nominated.

PRODUCT ELIGIBILITY AND TIMELINE
With the exception of products nominated purely for innovation or design all candidates for EISA Award nomination must have been tested by at least five member magazines from the appropriate Expert Group before the EISA AGM. To achieve this, the absolute deadline for supply of products to member magazines is 26th May 2018, but preferably before 31st March 2018, to ensure sufficient time for thorough testing. To coordinate delivery of your products to individual Expert Group magazines before April, please contact the appropriate Expert Group Manager []Staff | EISA – Expert Imaging and Sound Association. If you cannot supply before April then please contact EISA’s Vice President, Ljubiša Miodragovic, as soon as possible [ljubisa.miodragovic@eisa.eu]. Finally, to qualify for an EISA Award 2018-19, the nominated product(s) must also be available for sale in at least 10 European countries before 1st October 2018. Similarly, any pre-ordered products must be delivered to consumer(s) by the 15th Oct 2018. EISA Awards will be withdrawn from any products that fail to meet this deadline for their general availability.
08-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Which are those magazines?

08-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's a general statement. Can you give a specific example?
For example, I do weddings, of course i can do weddings with the K1, but buffer speed kills me at some parts, the camera simply locks until the buffer clears, and for the kind of photograph that im looking for, sometimes speed is necessary, and sometimes during that lock moments things happen, important things that might be missed because of so call "issue".. ahother one is AF tracking aint the best.. of course that it works, but other cameras have a way more advance AF tracking.. that is why I say that not every camera works for every work, and cameras DOES matter at some point. If you are a landscape shooter or perhaps a macro shooter, a camera like K1 would be the perfect camera, in that case again, camera does matter for the job that you are doing.
08-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #28
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Which are those magazines?
Members | EISA – Expert Imaging and Sound Association

Click on the "Photography" section. Not much of a list, frankly...
08-20-2018, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

I guess Amateur Photographer persuaded the others that Pentax is dead, no need to look at their new product
08-20-2018, 11:43 AM - 3 Likes   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PaysonAZTim Quote
What's the controversy behind dpreview?
Long story, but their reporting of Pentax gear has a tendency to dwell on the shortcomings (real or imagined) and downplay the good points. In the comments section of their hands-pn review of the D FA* 50:1.4 even some non-Pentaxians were commenting on this. It's not as bad as some make out, it just feels like their slant on what photographers want in rather tech-centred rather than photographer centred. But there's a huge buzz around mirrorless - and Sony in particular - from a lot of sources at the moment, which leaves companies doing something different a bit underappreciated.

---------- Post added 20-08-18 at 11:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I guess Amateur Photographer persuaded the others that Pentax is dead
They actually did a very positive review of the original K-1 and have been traditionally quite pro-Pentax, or at least fair to Pentax - I think that the offending article was just one individual (although he obviously had to get it past the editor) -what got up my nose in that case was the lazy parroting of received wisdom in a way that can only harm the brand - as in why???