Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
Pentaxian

EISA 2018 No Pentax, No Surprise?!

https://www.eisa.eu/awards/photography/

Thoughts ��?

Last edited by wed7; 08-19-2018 at 05:47 AM.
08-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Page not found error
08-18-2018, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I think this article has very good thoughts on this:
https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-h1-wins-eisa-award-2018-for-best-mirro...ey-make-sense/

In one sentence: these awards are selling for a lot of money for the manufatureres to advertise them with it.
08-18-2018, 08:50 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

https://www.eisa.eu/awards/photography/
Is the correct, complete link. If I click the one you provided, I get a 404 page. Please correct it.

As for the awards, it's the Expert Imaging and Sound Association. Sounds like they're biased towards video to me. Pentax is focused on photography, not video, so no surprises here. The D-FA* 50 came probably too late for them to review it. I bet the 85 will be as good. I don't think awards hit the mark every time. As with most things in life, time will tell which gear holds up to its hype. I just wish these organizations would publish what pools of gear they reviewed for their awards and what criteria they used. That way one could get a better picture of the whole matter. Otherwise it just sounds like advertising and it's just a matter of who pays up.

08-18-2018, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
I think this article has very good thoughts on this:
https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-x-h1-wins-eisa-award-2018-for-best-mirro...ey-make-sense/

In one sentence: these awards are selling for a lot of money for the manufatureres to advertise them with it.
Exactly my thoughts. Money is a bias, and that's why we look for independent reviews on the net. That's also what drives the controversy behind dprewiew.

08-18-2018, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentaxforums 2015/2016

Pentaxforums 2016/2017

Same old same old .... really, who cares.
08-18-2018, 09:21 AM   #7
retired nerd
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by torashi Quote
Photography | Awards Categories | EISA – Expert Imaging and Sound Association
Is the correct, complete link. If I click the one you provided, I get a 404 page. Please correct it.

As for the awards, it's the Expert Imaging and Sound Association. Sounds like they're biased towards video to me. Pentax is focused on photography, not video, so no surprises here. The D-FA* 50 came probably too late for them to review it. I bet the 85 will be as good. I don't think awards hit the mark every time. As with most things in life, time will tell which gear holds up to its hype. I just wish these organizations would publish what pools of gear they reviewed for their awards and what criteria they used. That way one could get a better picture of the whole matter. Otherwise it just sounds like advertising and it's just a matter of who pays up.
We typically have several threads going simultaneously about the fact that Pentax is weak in video. Not a news flash, and I don't care - in fact, I'd rather not have a camera that also does video, because every so often I miss a good shot because I accidentally set my camera for 'video' mode.
08-18-2018, 09:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

By looking at its history by searching "Pentax" on their search option, there haven't been many awards for Pentax since 1983. That just shows how unimportant awards are. Pentax has been in business all this time and has come up with a lot of excellent products over that time.
The A1 super, 645N and 645D, K10D stand out. As for lenses just a few zooms.
They focus more on cameras rather than lenses, by the sheer number of camera category vs. lens categories, knowing that for a single camera there are just so many options regarding lenses. They have just ONE prime lens award, which is absurd. No UWA, WA, Normal, Short Tele, Telephoto and Ultra-Telephoto categories? And then they should be divided into formats, APS-C, FF, Crop MF, MF. At least they make some distinction between point-and-shoot and interchangeable system or mirrorless and SLR cameras…

08-18-2018, 09:57 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

As I understand it, these are like the 'Product of the Year' awards. Pay the huge fee, get a meaningless 'award', plus the right to put the 'Product of the Year' logo on your product, just like a couple of hundred other Products of the Year...gullible consumers buy...$$$
08-18-2018, 10:18 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Seems to me that you guys are forgeting that In the past Pentax got some EISA awards.. Does it mean that Ricoh payed them for that?? or the camera was in fact good? If this year Pentax didn't get any recognition it's simply because the products that they relesed weren't that good compared with what the other people release, simple, and that is not far away from the truth.. What during this year was noticeable?
08-18-2018, 11:04 AM - 1 Like   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
Seems to me that you guys are forgeting that In the past Pentax got some EISA awards.. Does it mean that Ricoh payed them for that?? or the camera was in fact good? If this year Pentax didn't get any recognition it's simply because the products that they relesed weren't that good compared with what the other people release, simple, and that is not far away from the truth.. What during this year was noticeable?
As I understand it, companies don't pay to win EISA awards. However, if they win and wish to show the EISA award as part of their marketing, they pay quite handsomely for that.

It's therefore conceivable that if an awards organisation knows that a particular manufacturer is or isn't going spend money on that sort of thing, they may well give greater or lesser priority respectively to that manufacturer's products. I'm not saying that's definitely case - only that it's a distinct possibility. After all, these awards organisations are profit-driven businesses, we should be under no illusion.

On that basis, there are all sorts of permutations as to why Pentax products won awards in previous years, but not this time.

Having said that, this hasn't been a big news year for Pentax, so I see no reason why it should have won an award. Perhaps next year, for the DFA50/1.4?
08-18-2018, 12:12 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Having said that, this hasn't been a big news year for Pentax, so I see no reason why it should have won an award. Perhaps next year, for the DFA50/1.4?
That's my point.. this past year was a no big news at all for Pentax so how come people expect something to be awarded if there is nothing?? .. next year maybe with the 50mm yes.. or who knows if something new might come out within this next year that is truly good.. but as for last year, nothing, zero, nada.. and that is the sad true.
08-18-2018, 12:21 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kooks Quote
but as for last year, nothing, zero, nada.. and that is the sad true.
I don't understand what's sad about it The cycle of new product development within Pentax is such that there'll be some years where there are award-worthy products, other years where there aren't, and I don't see why the latter is a problem. Even so, I really don't care about the awards, who wins and who doesn't from year to year. I'd just like Ricoh Imaging to keep developing and releasing high quality, relevant Pentax products. So far, it hasn't disappointed me

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-18-2018 at 02:03 PM.
08-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never cared so much about awards because the criteria for winning the awards is unclear.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 08-18-2018 at 01:59 PM.
08-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #15

I guess the DFA 50mm 1.4 lens could win a prize... (and or the Tokina Opera...which is a copy of PENTAXs lens design)
Of course only given the fact, that no dpreview-minions sit in the jury...