Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2008, 10:11 AM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Street sub-$700.00 dslr with 2 lenses and shake reduction - pretty neat. I hope they sell a freaking billion of them.

Then they can make some really nice high-end stuff.
Now here's somebody who understands the market! No FF or high spec body for you guys until Pentax can get some market share at the low-end, and some shelf space at Best Buy. It's a simple matter of economics.

09-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #137

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Because the 200D is a dead in the water body, it's too big and too heavy for entry level buyers and not enough camera for most serious buyers so they just get a 20D.
The specs are on par with what the other brands are offering... So is the price. But from all of the reviews I have seen, the K200D is better than the XSi, D40x...
Sure it is a bit bigger but honestly, does 100g make that much difference?
09-19-2008, 10:17 AM   #138
Banned

QuoteQuote:
pretty neat. I hope they sell a freaking billion of them.
a billion people running around with KM's! woa, what will they say when they see my old film KM?
09-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
Now here's somebody who understands the market! No FF or high spec body for you guys until Pentax can get some market share at the low-end, and some shelf space at Best Buy. It's a simple matter of economics.
Which just goes to show what a cluster@uck the 200D and 20D were. 20D is fine but overpriced by 30% and the 200D meant that pentax had no entry level camera. Insane.

09-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #140
RaduA

And pentax is being slaughtered by offering "me too" products. They can't compete with the D60 and Rebel line, it's plain to see. I have been asking for a smaller camera for 2 years but "please don't under spec it".

Instead fo being the one camera with a top LCD in the market, it's just another one without.

And AA batteries, i mean they go through all this hassle to build a small/light camera then weigh it down with bricks.
Alfisti,

With all due respect but you're judging a "first time DSLR camera" by an advanced amateur standard. I know you probably wanted a "Limited body" with many bells and whistles (and so would I but not before this one). Pentax will sell hundreds of thousands of this small puppies and fund many new projects, bring a lot of new users into K mount system and earn a lot from a surge in pancake sales. Believe me couple of days of this camera + DA21 combo selled me the concept!
About your 2 specifics: the top LCD simply has no space and won't bring much to a begginer anyway IMHO. About batteries this camera has in menu the possibility to choose from 3 forms or an auto mode. IMO NiMH besides giving it ENORMOUS authonomy will balance very well any lens heavier than the kit. And with lithiums I guess over 2000 pictures are doable easy.

Radu
09-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #141
Veteran Member

I'd call the specs better than those cameras but that's kinda the problem, there was no entry level camera to appeal to the soccer mum set.

QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote
The specs are on par with what the other brands are offering... So is the price. But from all of the reviews I have seen, the K200D is better than the XSi, D40x...
Sure it is a bit bigger but honestly, does 100g make that much difference?
09-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #142
Veteran Member

yeah i know, i just don't want to admit it

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Alfisti,

With all due respect but you're judging a "first time DSLR camera" by an advanced amateur standard. I know you probably wanted a "Limited body" with many bells and whistles (and so would I but not before this one). Pentax will sell hundreds of thousands of this small puppies and fund many new projects, bring a lot of new users into K mount system and earn a lot from a surge in pancake sales. Radu

09-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #143
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"yes the G-1 is a tiny little bugger, look at the photo of the woman holding and pointing at the lens, its tiny! reminds me a bit of the old Pentax Auto 110. I think (especially with the different colors) this thing will sell like crazy. and they will have monster lens sales as all the teenage girls loose or break theirs and constantly need them replaced!"

I would LOVE a Pentax like this little guy. First time I saw the pictures of it actually. REALLY REALLY great for those times when you don't want to or can't lug around the bigger dSLR. I might buy one of the Panasonic ones just for fun!
09-19-2008, 10:40 AM   #144
RaduA

yeah i know, i just don't want to admit it
Now, please say after me: "I want that DA* 55!" It will ease the pain a bit .

Regards,
Radu
09-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Now, please say after me: "I want that DA* 55!" It will ease the pain a bit .

Regards,
Radu

Nah, way, way over priced and i have the $200 50/1.4 already. Not to mentiont he 77 which I find a far better length for me anyway.

The 15/4 though, could be a real winner. Let's say one carries a 17-70 as a walk around but you know you're visiting churches etc, you just throw the 15/4 in ya bag! So long as the distortion is better corrected, the 21 falls apart here.
09-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
and they will have monster lens sales as all the teenage girls loose or break theirs and constantly need them replaced!
This just made me LOL
09-19-2008, 10:51 AM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a good move on Pentax's part - BUT, it sure looks different than my 30 year old KM!!
09-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #148
Veteran Member

I have to admit the K-m intrigues me a lot more than I would have thought a low end body could. If it specs out like I think it should then it just might be the ticket to get an SLR back into my wife's hands. She's intimidated by the size and complexity of my K10 & K20 but she is an old Minolta X-370 shooter; so I think all it will take for her to put the Nikon P2 down is a Pentax that feels comfortable in her hands.
09-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #149
Veteran Member

so....what now? whats the next big event that will have the forums going crazy ...lol
09-19-2008, 11:16 AM   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which just goes to show what a cluster@uck the 200D and 20D were. 20D is fine but overpriced by 30% and the 200D meant that pentax had no entry level camera. Insane.
Hey, I like both of those camera bodies quite a bit, but from a marketing standpoint I have to agree with you. Hopefully the Km turns out to be a step in the right direction.