Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #271
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hopey Quote
According to my Pentax sales rep, catch in focus is included in the K20D.
Caveat is: it requires Pentax lenses AFAIK, and you have to put it in manual mode. It also works with manual focus lenses.
What would be nice is to have this in AF-C mode with any lens, including AF.

09-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #272
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by hopey Quote
According to my Pentax sales rep, catch in focus is included in the K20D. It allows the camera to automatically take a pic every time something crosses in front ot it at a previously set focus distance. Have you ever seen that kind of "new mammal discovered in Indonesia" news with a night photo of a little rat in the jungle? You set the camera and when the little bug appears... click!
I could imagine it as the "other" focus mode supposedly included in the K-m, specially thinking about the customer target the camera is aimed to. You don't even need to press the shutter to take an action shot. Just focus the camera and when that race car is at the predefined focus distance that camera takes the pic.
OK. Thank you. I didn't know about that K20D feature, at least with that name.
As for the Indonesian rat, I believe there are many of them, but I don't watch Television,
Rui
09-21-2008, 03:25 PM   #273
Veteran Member

Hi,

I remember this function "catch in focus" from some time ago and i think that started in the Pentax Z1.

I use this function a lot in my Pentax Z1 with manual focus lens.

A fantastic function that only some Pentaxian know

Regards,
Pedro Santos
09-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #274
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bt*ist Quote
Good move by Pentax. Come on, we're all Pentax owners so our bias will naturally be towards newer and better toys. But Pentax is what.. third? fourth? in the DSLR market, and they really need to get new people into the brand, not upsell existing customers. It makes sense for them to introduce a kick-ass low-end... and then, later, provide an upgrade path to make sure people don't get frustrated at the 'higher' end.

I'm intrigued at 3.5fps in the K-M and ISO3200 on top... isn't that faster/higher than the K20D as well as K10D? Pentax could be the first camera company out there to TRICKLE UP its camera specs!
I concur fully with this point of view - and, I am really happy to see the DA*55 f1.4 ...I will certainly be getting this lens. Still, I hope there may be something, under glass, once the show starts to tease us about what's coming at the top end.

Cheers, Mike.

09-21-2008, 11:14 PM   #275
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From Singapore

Specs of K-M camera from clubsnap singapore forum

10.2 Megapixels “ effective
23.5x15.7mm Interline Interlace CCD with primary colour filter
Colour depth: 3 x 12 Bit in RAW, 3 x 8 Bit in JPEG (internal 3 x 22 bit)
Resolution:
- JPEG: (JPEG Baseline in quality steps of Optimal, Better, Good)
10 MP (3,872 x 2,592), 6 MP (3,008 x 2,000), 2 MP (1,824 x 1,216)
- RAW: 10 MP (3,872 x 2,592)
Sensitivity: Automatic, Manual selectable (ISO 100, 200, 400, 800, 1,600,3,200)
Lens
PENTAX KAF2 bayonet
Compatible with PENTAX KAF2-, KAF- and KA- lens mounts. Support for KAF2 Power Zoom functions
(K-mount lenses “ with adapters “ M42 and medium format lenses are mechanically compatible. Due to the high resolution of camera and lack of electronic contacts on the lenses no general statement can be made regarding full compatibility of functions.)
Viewfinder
Built-in, non-interchangeable Pentamirror finder
Viewing area 96% with finder magnification of 0.85x (with 50mm f/1.4 lens at infinity, -1m“1)
Bright non-interchangeable Natural Bright II focusing screen
Viewfinder indications below image area
Dioptre correction -2.5 dpt. “ +1.5 dpt.
Monitor
2.7 low-temperature polysilicon TFT Monitor with 230,000 dots, brightness adjustment and wide viewing angle (approx. 160°)
Image previewing with image preview switch (stop down button)
Image view after recording: Single image, double image, Histogram, recording data and Hot Spot Warning, 16x enlargement, Thumbnail index (4, 9 or 16), slide show, image rotation
Preview
Depth-of-field preview button for focus depth preview, digital preview
Image Formats
RAW (PEF, DNG), RAW + JPEG
JPEG (Exif 2.21), DCF
JPEG compression: JPEG Baseline in quality steps of Optimal, Better, Good
Memory
SD Card, SDHC Card
Focus
Autofocus system: TTL Phase Matching with 5 focussing points (SAFOX) with indication in finder
Operational range: (EV 1 EV 19)
AF Single with focus lock or continuous AF (as a function of the exposure program)
Focussing point selectable between automatic or manual choice, spot focussing
AF-Assist with built-in flash
Metering
16 segment TTL open aperture metering coupled with AF and lens information, switchable between Multi segment, Centre weighted and Spot metering.
Operational range: EV 1 EV 21
Electronically controlled vertical-run focal plane shutter
Shutter speeds: Automatic: 1/4,000 30sec. (stepless), Manual: 1/4,000 30sec. (in 0.5 EV steps) and Bulb
Flash sync: 1/180sec.
Green Mode, Programmed automatic (Hyperprogram), Sensitivity Priority, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, ISO Automatic, Manual, long exposure
Picture Modes (automatic or manual): Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Sport, Night portrait, Flash Off
Scene Modes: Night scene, Surf & Snow, Food, Sunset, Kids, Pets, Candle light, Museum
Exposure compensation: +/- 2EV (1/3 or 1/2 steps)
Auto bracketing: +/-0.5 EV, +/-1.0 EV, +/-1.5 EV in 0.5 EV steps, or +/-0.3 EV, +/-0.7 EV, +/-1.0 EV, in 0.3 EV steps
Exposure memory button
Flash
Built-in P-TTL automatic flash with automatic operation in poor lighting conditions
Manual on / manual off
Preflash for reduction of the Red Eye effect
Flash compensation (±2 EV)
GN 13 at ISO 100
Hotshoe on camera top for use of system flashes
High-Speed Wireless Synchronisation with appropriate PENTAX flashes
Coverage 28mm (equivalent in 35mm film format)
Power requirements
4x AA batteries (Lithium, Alkaline, Ni-MH)
Battery capacity: approx. 1,650 images or approx. 1000 images (50% with flash) or approx. 750 min. playback
AC adapter (optionally available)
Connections
USB 2.0 (High Speed)
AV (compatible with NTSC and PAL)
AC adapter (optionally available adapter)
Recording parameters
White Balance: Automatic or manual. Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Neon (W, N, D), Flash, manual balance, 3 selectable settings for Kelvin and Mired Value with fine adjust
Digital filters: BW, Sepia, Colour (18 options), Soft filter and Slim Filter, HDR (3 options)
Drive Modes: Single, Series (Hi/Low): 2.8fps. to 4 images in JPEG (Hi), 1.1fps to capacity of memory card (Low). 4 images in RAW (DNG). Auto Bracketing, Self-timer with 2sec. delay (mirror up lock) and 12sec. delay, IR Remote Control, series.
Special features
PENTAX developed opto/mechanical Shake Reduction (integrated in camera body). Adds approx. 4 stops to hand-held shots (for long exposures a tripod should be used).
3 step Dust Removal system:
1. Special coating of Low Pass Filter,
2. Vibration system to remove dust,
3. Adhesive strip to capture dust
Dust Alert: remaining persistent dust on the sensor is clearly located and the position is indicated on the monitor
Compatible with ultrasonic lenses
Camera internal file designation switchable between standard files or date
Extended exposure functions via eight Scenes Mode programs
Switchable between digital preview on the monitor or optical depth-of-field preview in viewfinder
23 individually adaptable camera functions
Metal chassis with fibre-reinforced plastic housing
Weather-proofed body construction with 60 seals protecting against dust and spray
World time for 72 cities in 28 time zones
Menu languages: English, French, German, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Russian, Korean, Chinese, Thai, Japanese
Print Functions
PictBridge, DPOF (Digital Print Order Form), PRINT Image Matching III
09-21-2008, 11:24 PM   #276
Veteran Member

It's not listing it as SAFOX VIII anywhere... only simply SAFOX... hm.
09-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #277
Veteran Member

Because it's maybe an entry level camera like the D60. Remember the focus point of D40X, D60 against D80 and D300? Also maybe they are using the basic SAFOX.
09-22-2008, 12:07 AM   #278

I don't know if someone has posted the same info here (I have not read the full thread), but just in case, and thanks to Douglas, I posted the full specs of K-m in my blog, as leaked from Amazon.uk. I guess the official release is around the corner, but just in case, I will leave the specs there for quick reference.

The link is here.

09-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #279
Veteran Member

It's Official K2000

Pentax's 10.2 megapixel compact K2000 for first time reflexers - Engadget
09-22-2008, 01:31 AM   #280

Original Poster
DPreview has preview

Pentax K-m Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
09-22-2008, 05:13 AM   #281
Banned

wait, so is it only going to be called the Km in Europe? everywhere else the K2000? damn that would suck I don't want a K2000 I want a Km.
09-22-2008, 08:22 AM   #282
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
wait, so is it only going to be called the Km in Europe? everywhere else the K2000? damn that would suck I don't want a K2000 I want a Km.
A rose by any other name would take the same pictures.
09-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #283
Banned

I still want a Km.
09-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #284
Veteran Member

I still want a Km.
And I'd want a K2000. But we can't have either.
09-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #285
Veteran Member

I believe it will be called K2000 in the USA only. Everywhere in the World it will be K-m (notice the hyphen).

Maybe you and ftpaddict could buy a camera each and exchange them between yourselves