Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
The K-M looks the sexiest digital camera EVER: that little chrome border is pure style!
I guess there's no accounting for taste. My first thought was how fugly that cheezy chrome strip looked.

09-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildboar Quote
I take a lot of photos using a tripod (sometimes while sitting/laying on the ground), and in those situations I grow to dislike the top LCD panel more and more. The first time I saw the second-gen DRebel model (with all info on the back panel) I thought how nice that would be for tripod work. It's not for everyone, but it's for me.
Just press the info button, it will show you the exposure info and more. I know it's not quite as practical. They should make it "sticky" as an option so you could use the back panel in situations you describe.
09-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #123
Veteran Member

And pentax is being slaughtered by offering "me too" products. They can't compete with the D60 and Rebel line, it's plain to see. I have been asking for a smaller camera for 2 years but "please don't under spec it".

Instead fo being the one camera with a top LCD in the market, it's just another one without.

And AA batteries, i mean they go through all this hassle to build a small/light camera then weigh it down with bricks.

QuoteOriginally posted by mk07138 Quote
I have to laugh a little bit every time I hear someone scream bloody murder over how awful it would be to lose that top LCD. I have to admit I love the one on my K20, but look at what this camera is going up against. The D40/D40x/D60 all don't have a top LCD, the rebel series doesn't have a top LCD and we all know that they sell wonderfully and people who have them tend to love them.

I really think that this won't hurt this camera one bit.

There is absolutely no use in complaining over something that pretty much no one has used yet.

If the camera turns out to suck then complain. But we don't know yet so we shouldn't try and pass judgement on something we can't possibly know.

This camera is obviously aimed at a specific segment of the market. If you don't feel that you fit into that segment then buy something else. The k20 is a great camera and I love it, and the k200 looks pretty nice for its market segment also. If you're gonna listen to the b**chers in the crowd then go buy another brand and be happy with it.
09-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Douglas,

There are 3 options for AF and neither AF.C or AF.S is the default one. Think of it in this terms: you can change manually from single focus to tracking or ...

Radu
An auto switch between AF-S and AF-C? The camera could detect when it needs AF-C. That would be in-line with a camera for beginer design philosophy, everything as automatic as possible, but with great results.

09-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #125
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
And pentax is being slaughtered by offering "me too" products. They can't compete with the D60 and Rebel line, it's plain to see. I have been asking for a smaller camera for 2 years but "please don't under spec it".

Instead fo being the one camera with a top LCD in the market, it's just another one without.

And AA batteries, i mean they go through all this hassle to build a small/light camera then weigh it down with bricks.
A top LCD is a waste of space on a small and light camera. I don't think it will be powered by AA batteries BTW, it seems very unlikely for the same reasons a top LCD is not wanted. I don't see the camera as underspeced compared to the 1000D/D60.
09-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I don't see the camera as underspeced compared to the 1000D/D60.
So where does that leave serious amatures looking for a better speced body but not wanting to cart a brick with them wherever they go.

Why does small = dumbed down?

We have several gourmet, compact, light lenses ranging from $400 to $850 and still no body to match the lens line up.

Why all the great little primes then having to attach them to a huge K20D to get a full spec body?

It's perplexing.
09-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #127
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That "ringflash" is only for macro work AFAIK...I thought it was an odd addition actually...

09-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Probably acceptable, as a cost and weight-saving measure, given the competition and what likely customers are used to.

I wish Pentax would allow either--have an insert that fits in the AA compartment that can hold a single Li-Ion battery. And make one available for my DS2 as well.
09-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #129

You guys really think that it will have better IQ than the K10D, weather sealed body...?
I think that you guys are on crack once again. It is not because there is a real leak that you can start believing all of those who were flooding this forum with made up info.

Just think about it logically in marketing terms: why would pentax come up with a camera just as good as the K200D but smaller and cheaper just months after the release of the K200D?

And so far, there is no info on the sensor that is going to be in that thing, so how could you know about IQ??
THIS is what I would really like to know: What sensor in this thing? If it's the same Sony 10Mp sensor, then this thing is not interesting at all... other than in terms of bringing market share to Pentax.
09-19-2008, 10:01 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Because its not easy to fit all that you need in a small body... Check the Panasonic Micro 4/3 camera. Even that isn't as small as you think
09-19-2008, 10:03 AM   #131
Banned

they dropped the 'D'

I don't even use the top LCD of my K110, I use the viewfinder display. looks cool, and separates me from other budget cameras, but its just about useless for me.

anyone notice they dropped the 'D'? thank god, we are finally going to stop highlighting 'digital' good for you Pentax! I know this has been discussed recently.

they even kept the same type of slanted M, from the original KM, nice touch.
09-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #132
Veteran Member

I am glad to see some accessories since it shows the line is here to stay. Confirmation on the new lenses is great, although I am not so thrilled the DA15 is only f/4. I would have paid for another stop. But a lot depends on the IQ. If it's super good then f/4 is fine, certainly for the sorts of applications one would use a wide lens for.

I can't believe they introduced yet another standard zoom lens. And just to reduce the weight? I'd be using this body with Limited primes.

The K-M is a much better name than just sticking more zeroes in the product number. I am glad Pentax took my advice on that.

I have said since the K200D was released that a cheaper body was necessary, and a smaller and lighter one is always welcome. So long as it has all the features we are used to the lack of an LCD is not a deal-breaker. It does make the K200D look even less desirable in the product line.

K-M with double zoom kit for list under EUR600? That's going to sell very well.
09-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
Because its not easy to fit all that you need in a small body... Check the Panasonic Micro 4/3 camera. Even that isn't as small as you think
Pretty damn small if you ask me. Check it out in a woman's hands here.
09-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #134
Veteran Member

Because the 200D is a dead in the water body, it's too big and too heavy for entry level buyers and not enough camera for most serious buyers so they just get a 20D.

QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote
You guys really think that it will have better IQ than the K10D, weather sealed body...?
I think that you guys are on crack once again. It is not because there is a real leak that you can start believing all of those who were flooding this forum with made up info.

Just think about it logically in marketing terms: why would pentax come up with a camera just as good as the K200D but smaller and cheaper just months after the release of the K200D?
09-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #135
Banned

QuoteQuote:
K-M with double zoom kit for list under EUR600? That's going to sell very well.
I 100% agree. this WILL bring MANY more people into pentax. those who might have purchased a bridge camera from another company might now look at pentax as a viable upgrade from a P&S or as a starter camera. why? cause its cheap, and they will quickly realize how good there 'cheap' camera is stacked up against canon and nikons entry level options. and with those limited lenses... hang it up.

I still want a camera with interchangeable finders....

QuoteQuote:
Pretty damn small if you ask me. Check it out in a woman's hands here.
yes the G-1 is a tiny little bugger, look at the photo of the woman holding and pointing at the lens, its tiny! reminds me a bit of the old Pentax Auto 110. I think (especially with the different colors) this thing will sell like crazy. and they will have monster lens sales as all the teenage girls loose or break theirs and constantly need them replaced!