Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2008, 07:09 AM   #61

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Amazon.co.uk: Pentax K-m + 18-55 + 50-200mm DAL Digital SLR & Lens Kit: Electronics & Photo

Amazon "leaks" K-m specs!

09-19-2008, 07:10 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Take it anywhere camera...hmmm...interesting thought. Because I have been considering a Canon G9 (or the newly announced G10) for that purpose but depending on the size of this, it might make more sense.
09-19-2008, 07:12 AM   #63
Veteran Member

this will be the best camera in the value segment by far
sealed, SR, small,

this ain't a high-end body but i'm interested
however i'm not seeing anything about this special focusing method
09-19-2008, 07:13 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just was looking at the roadmap...sad that I am not seeing much in the way of fast glass in the longer ranges. Plenty of fast primes in the 16-50mm range, but what about some faster glass in the 70-400mm range? Lot of f/4 glass, but would really prefer f/2.8. Guess Tamron and Sigma will have to fill this void.

09-19-2008, 07:13 AM   #65
cyg

Also, would the "new" DAL 18-55 be similar to the old DA 18-55 kit lens or to the newer (and supposedly better) "II" version introduced earlier this year?

The new roadmap makes it look like we could have a low-end double kit (DAL 18-55 and 50-200) and a slightly better one (DA 18-55 II and 55-300)...

Just speculating.
09-19-2008, 07:20 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think they want a wider base...

QuoteOriginally posted by bikee4 Quote
Wow that's it? No higher spec body? I have to say that Pentax has poor timing and even poorer grasp of what it's BASE (us) wants out of them. It was time really dazzle the photo world and they didn't get it, as usual....oh well back to waiting.
Street sub-$700.00 dslr with 2 lenses and shake reduction - pretty neat. I hope they sell a freaking billion of them.

Then they can make some really nice high-end stuff.

Cheers,
Cameron

Last edited by Cambo; 09-19-2008 at 07:26 AM.
09-19-2008, 07:30 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems Pentax have retained the 4 X AA batteries ....I am happy about that - I think it is in keeping with the target market and use for which this camera is intended. However, there have been some negative comments about this. Not sure what sort of battery life previous AA powered models got, but this one seems to do well with the AA batteries.

09-19-2008, 07:31 AM   #68

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
we waited for leaks for so long and now everyone is leaking information
09-19-2008, 07:37 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
"K-M is the smallest Pentax DSLR and smallest DSLR in the world with in-camera SR."

This could make for some great marketing if the specs hold true to this being the smallest camera available. People like small.
Note, that they say it's the smallest DSLR with in-camera SR. This means that Pentax K-m is larger than Olympus E-420.

BTW, what is the point to make sealed cheap body when cheapos DA L kit lenses will leak water and dust through all holes?
09-19-2008, 07:41 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From the Amazone listing:

"Focus
Autofocus system: TTL Phase Matching with 5 focussing points (SAFOX) with indication in finder
Operational range: (EV 1 – EV 19)
AF Single with focus lock or continuous AF (as a function of the exposure program)
Focussing point selectable between automatic or manual choice, spot focussing
AF-Assist with built-in flash
Metering
16 segment TTL open aperture metering coupled with AF and lens information, switchable between Multi segment, Centre weighted and Spot metering.
Operational range: EV 1 – EV 21"

How does this correspond to Radua's three AF modes?

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Nope, there is a third posibility that doesn't imply MF. At least that was on the test camera and I am 99% positive it will remain. Like I said before many people mistake this camera with a neutered and compressed K200D while in fact it isn't.

Radu
09-19-2008, 07:44 AM   #71
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Note, that they say it's the smallest DSLR with in-camera SR. This means that Pentax K-m is larger than Olympus E-420.

BTW, what is the point to make sealed cheap body when cheapos DA L kit lenses will leak water and dust through all holes?
Forom Amazon published specs
Seems that this too has "Weather-proofed body construction with 60 seals protecting against dust and spray"
"Power requirements
4x AA batteries (Lithium, Alkaline, Ni-MH)
Battery capacity: approx. 1,650 images or approx. 1000 images (50% with flash) or approx. 750 min. playback"
"Focus
Autofocus system: TTL Phase Matching with 5 focussing points (SAFOX) with indication in finder
Operational range: (EV 1 – EV 19)"

Nothing about weight and dimensions.
09-19-2008, 07:45 AM   #72

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by montecarlo Quote
Seems that this too has "Weather-proofed body construction with 60 seals protecting against dust and spray"
"Power requirements
Battery capacity: approx. 1,650 images or approx. 1000 images (50% with flash) or approx. 750 min. playback"
"Focus

If it is smaller or same size as *istDS I will be very happy ... But not for £499
09-19-2008, 07:46 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Anyone got a copy of that road map that I can open?

Gagging for a closer look at the 15mm F4 limited
09-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #74
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
From the Amazone listing:

"Focus
Operational range: (EV 1 – EV 19)
AF Single with focus lock or continuous AF (as a function of the exposure program)
Focussing point selectable between automatic or manual choice, spot focussing
AF-Assist with built-in flash
Metering
16 segment TTL open aperture metering coupled with AF and lens information, switchable between Multi segment, Centre weighted and Spot metering.
Operational range: EV 1 – EV 21"

How does this correspond to Radua's three AF modes?

"AF Single with focus lock or continuous AF (as a function of the exposure program)" + manual focussing.

Have a look at switch on the side of K-m. There is silver(MF) and green(AF). I think If you switch to AF, you can choose AF-C or AF-S in the menu.
09-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #75
ibk
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montecarlo Quote
"Power requirements
"Focus

The Amazon specs of K-m are mixed with specs of K200D.
Don't entirely trust it!