Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
"if the K-m's image is better than K10D, I may just switch it. lighter is good, at least for me as I focus on landscape more."

Not to mention that K10D maxes out at 1600 ISO.
Yea.. well that also depends on how well are those 3200 ISO pic K-m can produce

09-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #107
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
From the Amazone listing:

"Focus
Autofocus system: TTL Phase Matching with 5 focussing points (SAFOX) with indication in finder
Operational range: (EV 1 – EV 19)
AF Single with focus lock or continuous AF (as a function of the exposure program)
Focussing point selectable between automatic or manual choice, spot focussing
AF-Assist with built-in flash
Metering
16 segment TTL open aperture metering coupled with AF and lens information, switchable between Multi segment, Centre weighted and Spot metering.
Operational range: EV 1 – EV 21"

How does this correspond to Radua's three AF modes?
Douglas,

There are 3 options for AF and neither AF.C or AF.S is the default one. Think of it in this terms: you can change manually from single focus to tracking or ...

Radu
09-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have lots of questions about the 1.4x TC:
- doesn't look like it's weathersealed, right? So if you attach a DA* 300 to it, you're no longer weather proof in the rain...
- does it make the old MF lenses partially AF like the old Pentax 1.4x TC did?
then there are the image quality and cost issues which we know answers for until next year...
09-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bikee4 Quote
Wow that's it? No higher spec body? I have to say that Pentax has poor timing and even poorer grasp of what it's BASE (us) wants out of them. It was time really dazzle the photo world and they didn't get it, as usual....oh well back to waiting.
I (and probably a lot of others) actually want that entry-level more than a higher-spec one, and from your reckoning, I'm part of that "us" you're referring to. I have a K200D, it's probably nothing much for you, but I know that the entry-level model will get people to buy into Pentax, which then creates money and interest on Hoya's part to eventually make that higher-spec model *you* want.

You know us Pentax users. You're one yourself. We're used to waiting.

Hoya got it, actually. The money and the market share is at the entry-level, and so far, this new Km will sell, I feel. No word about live view, though, so that might cost a couple of sales, but all told, I'm sure quite a number will pick this up.

There's probably a mock-up coming up at Photokina, and more announcements. We've got forum peers going to Photokina to ask. Let's just wait a bit more.

09-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #110
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Entry level models, and some high-end models too, from the competition (see Sony...) does not have top-LCD's. They use the back-LCD for exposure information.

Which means this camera is neutered. I knew it would be neutered and no top LCD is unforgivable. Even if it just displayed Av/Sv/ISO i'd be happy.
09-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #111
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax KM Film Camera Sample Photos and Specifications
09-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
Yea.. well that also depends on how well are those 3200 ISO pic K-m can produce
Well, like they say, at least the option's there. Better a crummy pic than no pic at all. Now I feel bad that they didn't do the same for the K200D.

Just kidding. As long as this model generates sales, I'm okay with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
Which means this camera is neutered. I knew it would be neutered and no top LCD is unforgivable. Even if it just displayed Av/Sv/ISO i'd be happy.
Cost-cutting measure, to be sure. It just means it's not for you.

Anyway, seeing the roadmap as it stands, I'm pretty sure there would be naysayers who'd pick up on the possibility that Pentax has no FF future thus far. Wait for Monday for the negativity to pick up.

Thus far, though, I'm happy with what they have (unofficially) shown thus far.

09-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #113
Veteran Member

Thanks for the laugh. I enjoyed that. It does break the tension.
09-19-2008, 09:18 AM   #114
ogl
Banned

I have no any doubts in success of K-M.
Good machine.
K200D kit started from USD750 in USA.
K-M kit from 499 USD.
09-19-2008, 09:22 AM   #115

I have to laugh a little bit every time I hear someone scream bloody murder over how awful it would be to lose that top LCD. I have to admit I love the one on my K20, but look at what this camera is going up against. The D40/D40x/D60 all don't have a top LCD, the rebel series doesn't have a top LCD and we all know that they sell wonderfully and people who have them tend to love them.

I really think that this won't hurt this camera one bit.

There is absolutely no use in complaining over something that pretty much no one has used yet.

If the camera turns out to suck then complain. But we don't know yet so we shouldn't try and pass judgement on something we can't possibly know.

This camera is obviously aimed at a specific segment of the market. If you don't feel that you fit into that segment then buy something else. The k20 is a great camera and I love it, and the k200 looks pretty nice for its market segment also. If you're gonna listen to the b**chers in the crowd then go buy another brand and be happy with it.
09-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #116

full agree with Vinzer there..
this could be just the thing to get Pentax moving..

sell plenty of K-m's to get more people into the Pentax system..
the more people = the more money
the more money = the more R&D
the more R&D = the better the products to be released..

the better the products released = the more reason we have to sit and moan that we dont have money to upgrade :-)

exciting times ahead next year, me thinks!!
09-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #117

I take a lot of photos using a tripod (sometimes while sitting/laying on the ground), and in those situations I grow to dislike the top LCD panel more and more. The first time I saw the second-gen DRebel model (with all info on the back panel) I thought how nice that would be for tripod work. It's not for everyone, but it's for me.
09-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
Nope, there is a third posibility that doesn't imply MF. At least that was on the test camera and I am 99% positive it will remain. Like I said before many people mistake this camera with a neutered and compressed K200D while in fact it isn't.

Radu

I'll throw in my guess (what I'm hoping for) is a hyperfocal mode, in Pentax-speak (at least on their compacts) this is "Pan Focus". I don't know that this should be the default though.

-Andrew
09-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bikee4 Quote
Wow that's it? No higher spec body? I have to say that Pentax has poor timing and even poorer grasp of what it's BASE (us) wants out of them. It was time really dazzle the photo world and they didn't get it, as usual....oh well back to waiting.
Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Perhaps Pentax wants a bigger base. And it has a bunch of really nice goodies for its existing fans--the DA15 Ltd, DA* 60-250, 1.4x SDM TC, DA* 55, and new P-TTL ringflash. And some of Pentax's BASE (us) are glad to see the existence of a small, lightweight body again.
09-19-2008, 09:41 AM   #120
Banned

haha, should have known the entry level would be a KM. classic Pentax. I'm not sure about that chrome strip, unless they are going to do a two-tone body, that would be sweet. I'm eager to find out more of the new KM, I might be purchasing that to replace my K110 as my digital street camera.

that 55 looks slick as hell. it says that the suggested price is 549 Euro. that 55 would by optic design be FF right? im soo thinking of snagging that up.

I find it equally interesting that it says the 60-250 has taken so long due to a complete body redisgn for the tripod collar as opposed to just slapping one on. I think Pentax made the right move there. I think people will love this lens.

I LOVE the ringflash, that is cool as hell.

it looks like Pentax is dumping the green strip on the budget lenses, sad really as it makes the lenses look more cheap, like an FA J lens.... not happy about that.

I DONT like the petal hood on the 15mm Ltd. looks stupid.

All in all, this looks very exciting. I think Pentax is making its mark. what do you nay-sayers think about the so far lack of a 'Pro' camera?

I think Pentax is again showing they are the (modern) King of lenses, reclaiming a rightful throne in my opinion.