Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2008, 03:33 PM   #196
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
anyone notice they dropped the 'D'? thank god, we are finally going to stop highlighting 'digital' good for you Pentax! I know this has been discussed recently.

they even kept the same type of slanted M, from the original KM, nice touch.
I sure noticed that. If this is to be the end of the unnecessary "D", we have to make up new speculative names on the presumed top model.

09-19-2008, 03:45 PM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I 100% agree. this WILL bring MANY more people into pentax. those who might have purchased a bridge camera from another company might now look at pentax as a viable upgrade from a P&S or as a starter camera. why? cause its cheap, and they will quickly realize how good there 'cheap' camera is stacked up against canon and nikons entry level options. and with those limited lenses... hang it up.
So if this works out they made a camera that both work as a good intro-camera for new Pentax owners, and at the same time for no extra R&D money a small 2nd body or pancake body for the ordinary Pentaxians. Clever and cool.
09-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
i hope someone who can read german can translate the bit about the viewfinder.
QuoteOriginally posted by zntgrg Quote
it says that it's like a compact camera with the add of a real viewfinder, large and bright.
I am not happy with this translation. Let's give it another try...

Original German text: "Viele Fotografen steigen extra von der Kompaktkamera auf, um endlich wieder einen Sucher zu haben, da ist es selbstverständlich, dass dieser bei der PENTAX K-m groß, übersichtlich und hell ist."

Translation (not good but close): "Many photographs do a dedicated upgrade from a P&S camera to eventually again have a viewfinder. Therefore it is self-evident that this viewfinder at the Pentax K-m is large, clearly arranged and bright."
09-19-2008, 04:08 PM   #199
Inactive Account

Get Over It

QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
Stop saying "Get over it" and try to use some reason to argue.
Seriously, film is irrelevant. FF is irrelevant. APS-C has maybe 5, 10 years tops. Film is in a box labelled film, bell-bottom jeans, 8-tracks and hippie idealism. You seriously think Pentax cares about a guy who wants to buy an old film camera and is introducing a lens to satisfy him? You seriously think Pentax/Hoya cares if you have a bunch of old lenses and will develop a FF camera? No. How many clues do you need that they don't care one whit about FF? They will not go out and say, "We have no interest in FF" because they still sell some old FA lenses (what does the F stand for? Oh, ya, FILM) and their the production lines have been capitalized and are very profitable. They want to sell you new stuff from their NEW factories. If you want a lens for your old camera, go to eBay, not a "Pentax News and Rumours" thread and speculate about compatibility with ancient technology. What do you think D in DA stands for?
There. Good enough for ya? Your turn to justify why Pentax would care about developing a lens for an antiquated format that nobody buys anymore. Their new bodies work with old lenses. No one else does that to the same extent. Be happy with that. And don't try to justify film with the fact you have old lenses. Think. Business is about money. Pentax is a business. Pentax's business has always been about affordable and practical value. Production of any new lens is going to exclusively be for a digital camera. They can't compete with all the FF'ers with old lenses who will jump (hopefully) ship and dump their lenses on eBay because they don't understand that FF is not a panacea. A new lens for film, vs. tons of old film lense on eBay. Ya, The board would fire anybodies ass so fast if they suggested something like that it would make their head spin. (Swear word here.)
I await a logical reply that's based on practical business reality why film has any relevance at all. And, if you choose to argue that it does, specify what percentage of the market cares enough to pay for it. Also, specify what percentage of that market Pentax will get and how much technical support will be required to support that old technology. Also, specify definitively how many more 'keepers' an amateur photographer is going to get with this old technology and calculate how much more that will cost him per picture. As a bonus question, answer how many people who look at that photo will care. Hint: it's 2008.

09-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #200

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. The Guy Quote
You seriously think Pentax/Hoya cares if you have a bunch of old lenses and will develop a FF camera? No. How many clues do you need that they don't care one whit about FF? They will not go out and say, "We have no interest in FF" because they still sell some old FA lenses (what does the F stand for? Oh, ya, FILM) and their the production lines have been capitalized and are very profitable. They want to sell you new stuff from their NEW factories.
There. Good enough for ya? Your turn to justify why Pentax would care about developing a lens for an antiquated format that nobody buys anymore. Their new bodies work with old lenses. No one else does that to the same extent.
Actually Nikon's old glass also works... and they went FF, and people still buy some new lenses.
I think that Pentax does care about FF, because since the Pixel race is over, they need to find a new selling argument for ther bodies.
Now FF is hot, so Pentax will come up with a FF body. They are probably just waiting for Samsung to get their Sh*t together.
And I am sorry to dissapoint you but as of now, film is still a liveable support. A lot of pros still shoot film, especially when you are talking about artistic photography and black and white. Now wether you want to admit it or not, digital is just an alternative to film, or film is just an alternative to digital, depending on what you like to do. Of course, it is not in the industry's interest to tell you that, but as consumer's it is our duty to use our brain and not buy the BS they try to sell us...
09-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #201
Veteran Member

Seriously, film is irrelevant. FF is irrelevant. APS-C has maybe 5, 10 years tops. Film is in a box labelled film, bell-bottom jeans, 8-tracks and hippie idealism. You seriously think Pentax cares about a guy who wants to buy an old film camera and is introducing a lens to satisfy him? You seriously think Pentax/Hoya cares if you have a bunch of old lenses and will develop a FF camera? No. How many clues do you need that they don't care one whit about FF? They will not go out and say, "We have no interest in FF" because they still sell some old FA lenses (what does the F stand for? Oh, ya, FILM) and their the production lines have been capitalized and are very profitable. They want to sell you new stuff from their NEW factories. If you want a lens for your old camera, go to eBay, not a "Pentax News and Rumours" thread and speculate about compatibility with ancient technology. What do you think D in DA stands for?
There. Good enough for ya? Your turn to justify why Pentax would care about developing a lens for an antiquated format that nobody buys anymore. Their new bodies work with old lenses. No one else does that to the same extent. Be happy with that. And don't try to justify film with the fact you have old lenses. Think. Business is about money. Pentax is a business. Pentax's business has always been about affordable and practical value. Production of any new lens is going to exclusively be for a digital camera. They can't compete with all the FF'ers with old lenses who will jump (hopefully) ship and dump their lenses on eBay because they don't understand that FF is not a panacea. A new lens for film, vs. tons of old film lense on eBay. Ya, The board would fire anybodies ass so fast if they suggested something like that it would make their head spin. (Swear word here.)
I await a logical reply that's based on practical business reality why film has any relevance at all. And, if you choose to argue that it does, specify what percentage of the market cares enough to pay for it. Also, specify what percentage of that market Pentax will get and how much technical support will be required to support that old technology. Also, specify definitively how many more 'keepers' an amateur photographer is going to get with this old technology and calculate how much more that will cost him per picture. As a bonus question, answer how many people who look at that photo will care. Hint: it's 2008.
you sucked the fun out of this thread
09-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #202

Film is dead. Get over it
Yeh, well,

Elvis is dead too, but people still enjoy it

so you get over it, and stop telling people what they can or cannot like/do/enjoy.!

09-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #203
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
Just out of curiosity, how do you get those figures? A simple WxLxH isn't very accurate, because these cameras are not perfect rectangles. To get an accurate volume, it seems you'd either have to do the water-displacement method, or have a 3d computer model you can evaluate.
That's hilarious. Obviously simply multiplying the dimensions is not accurate, but then again specifying a single value for a dimension is not accurate either. Yet I have never heard anyone take Pentax to task for that!

However, given that all of the cameras have a similar form factor a volume comparison is at least equally inaccurate for each model. No, I did not do a water-displacement volume measure for a camera body that has not even been released yet.
09-19-2008, 05:19 PM   #204
Veteran Member

The King and gender issues

QuoteOriginally posted by davebris33 Quote
Elvis is dead too, but people still enjoy it
It?

09-19-2008, 05:22 PM   #205

PS I don't shoot film in an everyday sense, and had never shot film ever until last year, but I do shoot it at university (35mm and medium/large format) where it's taught so that you shoot slowly, learn properly and understand zoning and correct exposure and darkroom techniques...There is nothing I do in lightroom and photoshop that does not have a direct analogue to the dark room or the film camera... and now I understand PS and lightroom so much more for those reasons alone...So dead? No!

Also, can you show me a large format camera (and I am talking plate camera here) for shooting distortion free architecture shots that is not film based? That is needed as much as ever!
09-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #206

lol

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
It?

I meant listening to him, but admittedly, it did come out a bit wrong..
09-19-2008, 05:31 PM   #207

When you say "a lot of pros still shoot film"
Are you talking about medium format and large format?
Frankly, I'd be very surprised if a lot of pros are still shooting 35mm films

QuoteOriginally posted by deudeu Quote
Actually Nikon's old glass also works... and they went FF, and people still buy some new lenses.
I think that Pentax does care about FF, because since the Pixel race is over, they need to find a new selling argument for ther bodies.
Now FF is hot, so Pentax will come up with a FF body. They are probably just waiting for Samsung to get their Sh*t together.
And I am sorry to dissapoint you but as of now, film is still a liveable support. A lot of pros still shoot film, especially when you are talking about artistic photography and black and white. Now wether you want to admit it or not, digital is just an alternative to film, or film is just an alternative to digital, depending on what you like to do. Of course, it is not in the industry's interest to tell you that, but as consumer's it is our duty to use our brain and not buy the BS they try to sell us...
09-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #208
Veteran Member

rparmer, I wasn't trying to offend, I was just curious as to how you came about the measurements.

As for film, 35mm will probably fade away, but large-format 4x5 will probably be around for a while. Just as there are different mediums for painting (water colors, oils, etc), there can be different mediums for photography. So while this has no relevance to a FF DSLR, I'm still never giving up velvia for my 4x5
09-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #209
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
till 1650 images with Lithium AA /Ni Mh - it's the BEST.
09-19-2008, 06:40 PM   #210
cyg

Naming scheme

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
I sure noticed that. If this is to be the end of the unnecessary "D", we have to make up new speculative names on the presumed top model.
Well, in line with the K-m (ie 1000), the K200D replacement will be named the K-c, the K20D Super/Plus will turn up as the K-x, and the top-end model will naturally become the K-i...

It's pretty straightforward, really. ;-)

On the issue of naming, I'm curious to see what Nikon will come up next in the entry-enthusiast segment, now that they have used all multiples of ten between 40 and 90...