Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't... believe... I read the whole thing.

Last edited by code4code5; 08-06-2009 at 09:13 PM.
09-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #227

QuoteOriginally posted by cousinsane Quote
When you say "a lot of pros still shoot film"
Are you talking about medium format and large format?
Frankly, I'd be very surprised if a lot of pros are still shooting 35mm films
Mostly medium and large format, but there is also quite a few people that still use 35mm film... They also shoot mostly with rangefinders, but some still use SLRs.
09-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #228
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
it's mixed with K200D from Amazon.
Why do you say that ...why couldn't many of the specs be the same - after all the design genetics would suggest that they would be?
09-20-2008, 09:52 AM   #229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
I like that Pentax continues to produce well on its strong suit which is excellent lenses.

I've been hoping for exactly this release (low end body - high end glass) but part 2 of my wish is that Samsung and Pentax officially stop cloning each other and let each focus on their own strengths (Pentax glass; Samsung electronics). What would be better, to top off this announcement, with an accompanying press release by Samsung that they are releasing a GX-30 and a FF body.

relatively speaking they've got lots of money and can afford the financial hit that comes with being a new entry into the market. If they jump in with both feet they could make quite a splash and add considerable strength to the Pentax/Samsung branding.
I'm also been wondering if there will now be a Samsung version of the Km?
And generally speaking, when there are twin versions of cameras from Pentax and Samsung: how many bodies does Samsung sell relative Pentax? I assume Pentax do this because they profit from Samsungs know-how in electronic, and Samsung profit from Pentax camera design know-how, but how many copies less does Pentax sell due to Samsung? Any figures anyone?

And what will Samsung kall their Km, if there will be one?

09-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cyg Quote
Well, in line with the K-m (ie 1000), the K200D replacement will be named the K-c, the K20D Super/Plus will turn up as the K-x, and the top-end model will naturally become the K-i...

It's pretty straightforward, really. ;-)

On the issue of naming, I'm curious to see what Nikon will come up next in the entry-enthusiast segment, now that they have used all multiples of ten between 40 and 90...
But I thought roman numbers are always capital letters? Lower case letters was not invented until after the roman empire fell. So I'm not so sure K-m equals K-1000.
09-20-2008, 10:32 AM   #231
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
And what will Samsung kall their Km, if there will be one?
G-m...?
09-20-2008, 11:17 AM   #232
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Why do you say that ...why couldn't many of the specs be the same - after all the design genetics would suggest that they would be?
Amazon routinely does that sort of thing to make placeholders for new products.

But I thought roman numbers are always capital letters? Lower case letters was not invented until after the roman empire fell. So I'm not so sure K-m equals K-1000.
Yeah, but it doesn't need to literally be in ancient Latin. It's pretty clear that in at least some sense the name implies 1000.

09-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #233
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Yeah, but it doesn't need to literally be in ancient Latin. It's pretty clear that in at least some sense the name implies 1000.
how so? I see no connection. its just a rebirth of the original KM name. let us not forget that the original K series released in 1975 DID NOT include the K1000. the budget model of the K series was the KM, and was marketed as such. the K1000 was always a separate camera from the other K series, essentially a Spotmatic SP1000 with a K mount. it has sense become 'the' Pentax budget camera, but that title in the K series was in fact held by the KM.
09-20-2008, 12:29 PM   #234
Inactive Account

- Read louder:
"Pentax miles"!

I would have like that such an wordplay to be the beginning of a friendly (smiling) campaign, too bad it's probably a translation error.
09-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #235
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
I can't... believe... I read the whole thing.
hahahahaha!!!! Great illustration of the sentiment!
09-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #236
Veteran Member

Do you think the weather sealing is good enough for the water-displacement method???? I wouldn't bet on it, but if you try it, please let us know how it works out.
Anybody got a broken K10 to sell for parts?
09-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #237
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clawhammer Quote
rparmer, I wasn't trying to offend, I was just curious as to how you came about the measurements.
Hey, no offense though I did think you were a bit OTT. Everything cool here!
09-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by silverflower Quote
- Read louder:
"Pentax miles"!

I would have like that such an wordplay to be the beginning of a friendly (smiling) campaign, too bad it's probably a translation error.
It was explained further up the thread as a bad translation of km (kilometer, usual SI unit for distance for you angloamericans) into miles.

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
how so? I see no connection. its just a rebirth of the original KM name. let us not forget that the original K series released in 1975 DID NOT include the K1000. the budget model of the K series was the KM, and was marketed as such. the K1000 was always a separate camera from the other K series, essentially a Spotmatic SP1000 with a K mount. it has sense become 'the' Pentax budget camera, but that title in the K series was in fact held by the KM.
I think séamuis has a point here. Either that or m=mini. "K1000D" had no other credibility than being a common guess by many.
séamuis, would you care to guess the next name for a top model digital Pentax from this interpretation? What was the top model of the analog K serie bodies? KX? So in 6 months we might get a top model named Pentax K-x??? Wishful thinking....
09-20-2008, 05:05 PM   #239

Interesting

And I thought the K-m was new and improved!!!

Though I do like the neck strap swivels, not too fussed on the Ricoh kit lens, unless they plan on having them permanently attached.

PK
09-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #240
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
Oh come on. You seriously think the double meaning never crossed their minds?

I think it must have, both now and in 1975.