Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2018, 09:22 AM - 1 Like   #1951
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Worse: why did they even bother developing a DA converter as they knew FF was coming anyway...
If I remember right the TC was actually developed and shelved under Hoya before Ricoh bought them. At that time there was no possibility of a FF camera. When Ricoh bought Pentax the 1.4x TC was one of the projects they green lighted and it moved forward but it was designed before any thought of FF.

In hindsight a FF capable design would have been a better idea but at that time they were APS-C only.

09-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #1952
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What is wrong with having three dials???
I would like a bigger display.
09-27-2018, 09:32 AM   #1953
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by erikro Quote
I rarely look at the top display.
All the information I need is either on the rear screen or in the viewfinder.
I have ISO setup on the third dial.
09-27-2018, 09:33 AM   #1954
Pentaxian

I'd be happy with no display if that is needed to get three dials.
How is Pentax going to make everyone happy???

Last edited by reh321; 09-27-2018 at 09:40 AM.
09-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #1955
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would like three dials. Never looked at the silly top display, I never could understand the purpose of it when all that info is better shown on the rear display. Why waste valuable real estate on a dim display that is hard to read and duplicates the rear display? Just my opinion.
09-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #1956
Pentaxian

Main thing is that people are getting nervous because of lack of "APS Flagship" - retail stock is getting very very low, so there is a real desire for a reassurance that there really is something beyond the next hill.
Exactly.....
But that's one of the joys of Pentax. Wondering if they are really ever going to do something again. I Just ordered a 20 tear old 2x TC, Pentax says wine is coming but, do I really want to wait. At least there's something.

A few days again I shot with the DA*60-250 with the 1.4 TC on my K-1. I have no clue whether it was the lens r the TC that caused the vignetting.
09-27-2018, 10:18 AM   #1957
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Exactly.....
But that's one of the joys of Pentax. Wondering if they are really ever going to do something again. I Just ordered a 20 tear old 2x TC, Pentax says wine is coming but, do I really want to wait. At least there's something.

A few days again I shot with the DA*60-250 with the 1.4 TC on my K-1. I have no clue whether it was the lens r the TC that caused the vignetting.
TC's are always an adventure. When I thought I might be given a K-1, I got an AdaptAll TC for my AdaptAll 60-300mm, and suddenly I had purple fringing on a lens that had never provided any fringing before.

09-27-2018, 10:32 AM   #1958
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be happy with no display if that is needed to get three dials.
How is Pentax going to make everyone happy???
Easy, Pentax is going to do what they want to do and not exceed to every whim individual users want and we either buy it and use it or not buy it and complain about it. Its pretty simple.
09-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #1959
Pentaxian

TC's are always an adventure. When I thought I might be given a K-1, I got an AdaptAll TC for my AdaptAll 60-300mm, and suddenly I had purple fringing on a lens that had never provided any fringing before.
I have no lenses that have never caused purple fringing. What lens were you shooting with? TCs are for A*, FA* DA*, or high end DA lenses. Most of the time, it's the original lens that's the problem, not the TC. A TC will magnify PF that's already there. I have no knowledge of purple fringing with a TC on a lens that never had PF without the TC. But I've also only ever used Pentax TCs.

But I regularly shot with TCs either the HD DA 1.4 TC or the F 1.7x AF Adapter (and sometimes both TCs stacked) on my DA*200, DA*60-250, DFA 100 macro, Tamron 80 macro and Tamron 300 without issue. On my F 70-210, visible PF becomes worse. My solution, don't use a TC on the 70-210.

A good lens with a good TC isn't an adventure. Everything has to be top notch or all bets are off. After all a 1.7x TC magnifies the image 1.7 times. Any weakness in less than top notch lenses will be magnified 1.7 times.
09-27-2018, 10:41 AM   #1960
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The DA 1.4 TC is awesome and doesn't seem to give any issue with IQ at all, but is not FF compatible. Too bad, I wish it were.
09-27-2018, 10:49 AM   #1961
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
The DA 1.4 TC is awesome and doesn't seem to give any issue with IQ at all, but is not FF compatible. Too bad, I wish it were.
Ya, it's a disappointment to pay what paid for it and then have Pentax come out with an expensive body that won't use it.

Although, if you're cropping a bit, it doesn't cost you anything.

K-1 and DA*200 and 1.4 TC, razor sharp even pixel peeping.

But in all fairness, I do understand that people who use cheap TCs on less than stellar lenses will probably have issues. If you start with the best lenses available, you won't have issues.

TCs are a way to make the most out of lenses that out resolve your sensor by a sizeable margin.
Closed Thread