Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #826
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I'm with you but all of those were during or before the K-1 launched. Only the 50 f/1.4 has arrived on store shelves since then in around 2 years time... that's a long drought if you've been eyeballing what is on the roadmap since day one. loonnngggggggg time. Esp considering how they hyped the 50 f/1.4 for so long with 3d printing and under glass replicas. So, if they do the same for what is left on the roadmap, we're in for a long, slow ride.

Obviously, we don't see all that goes on in the company, but something(s) had to have happened internally because they had so much inertia in 2015 and 2016 and then came to a near halt since then. That concerns me.
The KP and K-1ii both have been released since the last Photokina.

09-08-2018, 03:25 PM   #827
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I think it would have been fair to expect that at the end of 2018 not only the 50mm was in stores. The 85mm, 35mm, a wide angel, a refresh for the 200 and 300mm, a cheaper long zoon should all have come to users of the full-frame K-mount system.

The K-1 came in stores in april 2016. The announcement of the K-1 and thus the full-frame system was at CP+ 2015. So next CP+, starting februari 28th 2019 the system is 4 years on it's way.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 09-08-2018 at 03:31 PM.
09-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #828
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Ricoh Imaging Deutschland GmbH

Exhibitorstand:
Hall 2.2 Stands: A041, A041l, A043l

Who will visit Photokina?
I'll be there.
09-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #829
mee
Pentaxian

True.. yet neither of those are D-FA lenses.. which I was specifically directing my comments towards.

09-08-2018, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #830
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There are 26 000 000 FF Pentax lenses out there and countless third party lenses. The need for new lenses is less than some think....
09-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #831
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

True.. yet neither of those are D-FA lenses.. which I was specifically directing my comments towards.
My theory is that Pentax believed those who said their main interest was in allowing their old prime lenses to "be themselves" .... only afterwards did they realize that people meant for them to actually produce a full set of modern lenses for this camera in a timely manner - and they simply are not well prepared to do that. No - I cannot prove that .... it is just a theory - but I'm not at all surprised at their slowness in developing new FF lenses. If I were going to be concerned about something, I would be much more concerned by this K-3 followup lack, but I'm willing to give them more time on that also.
09-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #832
mee
Pentaxian

My theory is that Pentax believed those who said their main interest was in allowing their old prime lenses to "be themselves" .... only afterwards did they realize that people meant for them to actually produce a full set of modern lenses for this camera in a timely manner - and they simply are not well prepared to do that. No - I cannot prove that .... it is just a theory - but I'm not at all surprised at their slowness in developing new FF lenses. If I were going to be concerned about something, I would be much more concerned by this K-3 followup lack, but I'm willing to give them more time on that also.
Muckmen from Nebular IV quadrant also ate the plans for the 85, 35, and 70-300mm while they were eating the plans for the K-3 III (it was so delicious they had to try the others too). So it will be awhile before Ricoh can redevelop them... since they didn't make copies of the plans.

09-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #833
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Muckmen from Nebular IV quadrant also ate the plans for the 85, 35, and 70-300mm while they were eating the plans for the K-3 III. So it will be awhile before Ricoh can develop them... since they didn't make copies of the plans.
That theory also fits the limited information we have, so no reason to be concerned about "lack of progress" thus far.

09-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #834
mee
Pentaxian

That theory also fits the limited information we have, so no reason to be concerned about "lack of progress" thus far.

True... and they wouldn't want to announce that (people might think they've gone off the deep end).. hence the silence from Japan.
09-08-2018, 04:48 PM - 2 Likes   #835
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It’s hard to deduce much, if anything, about specific intentions for Pentax within Ricoh’s recovery and growth strategy. While they’re now into their growth phase, having slashed the North American direct sales force, ditched Ricoh India and taken a massive write-down hit, there’s still some scepticism that their main revenue source, the printer business, can hold up until 2023, as they plan.

Stereo cameras for distance measurement and the Theta camera are notable in their “Edge” systems unit, but that’s related to business and industry systems peripherals, which don’t directly involve stand-alone cameras. The best chance for the Pentax brand is probably to move ahead with more products during the near term, as profitablility of the group rises, although much of that is already earmarked for mergers and acquisitions.

They could sell the brand to their nearest rival Fuji-Xerox, to complement that company’s mirrorless camera strategy, but without a discernable growth path for Pentax I’d doubt a sale to anyone is viable, and I reckon our expectations for Photokina 2018 have probably been dampened enough, already. Of course, we could be pleasantly surprised, too. Hope for the best, and expect the worst, as my father was fond of saying.
09-08-2018, 06:02 PM   #836
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

I took 46 photos last weekend, but I average around 500 a year, so days can go by when I don't actually use my camera. I do try to use it at least once a week, to keep the aperture control mechanism 'limber' - it is already showing signs of what I call "Dark Image Syndrome" - but even that is a "stretch" sometimes.
Wow, I took over 600 today, now I have to put together the Pano shots and trash the trashy shots that didn't work. Went through 1 battery and used the flash perhaps 10-15 times. I am excited to think they have anything new at Photokina.
09-08-2018, 06:17 PM   #837
Pentaxian

I would be much more concerned by this K-3 followup lack, but I'm willing to give them more time on that also.
Yes,i'm giving them more time too...they have exactly 26-29th Sept.

---------- Post added 09-09-18 at 12:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
as my father was fond of saying.
He collaborated with your Uncle too!
09-08-2018, 06:51 PM   #838
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes,i'm giving them more time too...they have exactly 26-29th Sept.
and if they don't announce something by Sept 29???
09-08-2018, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #839
mee
Pentaxian

and if they don't announce something by Sept 29???
Then wait to see what happens between Feb 28 - Mar 3?
09-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #840
Pentaxian

Would be pretty cool if some third party manufacturers suddenly showed some support) but dreamers can dream..
Closed Thread