Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2018, 09:51 AM   #1366
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Who needs it - 8 GB/s in camera and for what?

XQD is some kind of trick. The video bitrate of new cameras is not high. XQD cards are pure commercial move now.
SDHC and SDXC card could be enough.
UHS-III bus interface provides 312 MB/s or 624 MB/s, UHS-II - 156 MB/s or 312 MB/s. XQD provides from 125 till 500 MB/s.

90 Mb/s min. speed SDXC cards are enough for 8K video files at 60/120 fps, man...

We could buy SD card in any country in any electronic store and even in smallest shop. Any notebook has SD card reader too.

The problem is another - Pentax cameras is far from high limits of SDHC and SDXC card...))
I agree! Very well put!

09-16-2018, 10:23 AM   #1367
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You still haven't answered my two questions:

(1) Do XQD interfaces have "pins", like the old Compact Flash units did?

(2) What, other than 'prestige' would be gained by putting XQD units in Pentax cameras??
1, no they dont.

2, security, speed, reliability.

@ogl : there is no such thing as a CF card. there is: CFExpress, CFast, CFast 2.0.
One really has to differ between those, because of the different standards, and for the "CFExpress"(which is something completely else compared to a CFast) you should see that its more like a better XQD card which is also compatible to the XQD-standard.
(What means that: A device capable of r/w CFExpress will be able to r/w XQD. But a mere XQD slot, will have a hard time reading CFExpress. Nonetheless, i think it will be very much like VHS(XQD) vs Betamax(CFExpress)... XQD will win in the end and already has defined a V2.0 Standard, which makes it equally capable as the CFExpress. But looking that far. IMHO may really be a bit too far.)

QuoteQuote:
again:
no there are no pins on XQD/CFExpress cards or its reading devices. none.
it has 3 separeted "contact surfaces" separated by a much stronger and thicker material then the "ribs" on an SD card(which are very likely to fall off one day and at some point in time may kill your SD-slot by the way)
Those 3 contact surfaces sit securely in a very rugged case, protected by the hull of the card which protrudes OVER those contacts so they are protected.
Admitted: My desire maybe could be considered as setting unnecessary goals too high, because first Autofocus and burst speed should see major improvements...
BUT: even if we see "ONLY" UHS-II SD-cards in the upcoming gear,... honestly i will be also satisfied since Sony shortly introduced its new "TOUGH" SD-cards.

Only plz consider this:
If you say, you are OK with SD and pentax is slow and you are willing to live with it, no one will build even UHS-II dual SD-slots into your next PENTAX camera .. no one.
You will get again: 1 slot (because you already bought a KP or at least most likely said, "hey its the bees knees") with UHS-I bus... and slow shooting rates. which in the end may be OK for you but it would be bad for the brand and the system as a whole because we would loose more and more customers, to other brands.

@reh321:
As I see you have lot of reputation on the forum and are a long time member, i am begging you on my knees to consider what i wrote here,
I think you have a lot of responsibility when you spread words about such important issues.

Nonetheless:
I am totally convinced, that as a loyal customer, one has a right to demand improvement from the company he bought so much gear from and fed it with several thousands, and more several-thousands of dollars.

again: a Dual-Multi Slot design, should mean no problem to all the SD-card lovers... i really dont understand why you wanna go against a compromise and say only your point of view is the truth.
Attached Images

09-16-2018, 10:37 AM - 3 Likes   #1368
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
If you say, you are OK with SD and pentax is slow and you are willing to live with it, no one will build even UHS-II dual SD-slots into your next PENTAX camera .. no one.
You will get again: 1 slot (because you already bought a KP or at least most likely said, "hey its the bees knees") with UHS-I bus... and slow shooting rates. which in the end may be OK for you but it would be bad for the brand and the system as a whole because we would loose more and more customers, to other brands.
That is a strawman. We'd like Pentax to support at least UHS-I SDR 104 speeds.

again: a Dual-Multi Slot design, should mean no problem to all the SD-card lovers... i really dont understand why you wanna go against a compromise and say only your point of view is the truth.
A mixed slot design is an inferior solution to a dual UHS-I SDR 104 or UHS-II slot design.
09-16-2018, 11:09 AM - 2 Likes   #1369
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
And it needs a dedicated controller license payoff.

Frankly, I don't see a single argument for it, in current Ricoh-Pentax situation and market.

09-16-2018, 11:14 AM - 4 Likes   #1370
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
security, speed, reliability
I am not an engineer by training, but I did function as one in industry, working shoulder to shoulder with real degreed hardware engineers under U,S. DOD protocols. My views are largely shaped by those experiences. XQD has not been out very long; it has limited real-world "testing" {use by real people}. Because of that, right now I question your security and reliability reasons. Right now I will say that the various SD cards have proven themselves to be very reliable ..... they fail so seldomly that you would have a hard time justifying a reliability rating of less than 99% and the XQD is so new that you would have a hard time justifying a rating higher than that for them. Likewise, XQD cards haven't been in use long enough to justify saying that any extra security provided by them means anything to anyone. Your speed reason is an entirely different matter; as multiple persons have already pointed out, write time to memory is a system issue .... and Pentax has not been able to provide the speed others get from the SD.

I remember the angst amongst Nikon users when Lexar seemed to be dropping memory production, and they seemed to be down to one source of XQD. Thus, while there may be perfectly good reasons for Pentax to use XQD, Pentax products have other weaknesses that I would rather see Pentax addressing right now.
09-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #1371
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1, no they dont.

@ogl : there is no such thing as a CF card. there is: CFExpress, CFast, CFast 2.0.
One really has to differ between those, because of the different standards, and for the "CFExpress"(which is something completely else compared to a CFast) you should see that its more like a better XQD card which is also compatible to the XQD-standard.
(What means that: A device capable of r/w CFExpress will be able to r/w XQD. But a mere XQD slot, will have a hard time reading CFExpress. Nonetheless, i think it will be very much like VHS(XQD) vs Betamax(CFExpress)... XQD will win in the end and already has defined a V2.0 Standard, which makes it equally capable as the CFExpress. But looking that far. IMHO may really be a bit too far.)

Admitted: My desire maybe could be considered as setting unnecessary goals too high, because first Autofocus and burst speed should see major improvements...
BUT: even if we see "ONLY" UHS-II SD-cards in the upcoming gear,... honestly i will be also satisfied since Sony shortly introduced its new "TOUGH" SD-cards.

Only plz consider this:

@reh321:
As I see you have lot of reputation on the forum and are a long time member, i am begging you on my knees to consider what i wrote here,
I think you have a lot of responsibility when you spread words about such important issues.

Nonetheless:
I am totally convinced, that as a loyal customer, one has a right to demand improvement from the company he bought so much gear from and fed it with several thousands, and more several-thousands of dollars.

You are making your appeals to the wrong audience. We as a group have very little if any sway on what goes on internally with decision making at Ricoh/Pentax. We are just passengers on the Ricoh/Pentax slow moving train. If you want consideration of what you suggest and evangelize about send a message to Ricoh/Pentax.
09-16-2018, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #1372
ogl
Banned

1, no they dont.

it's demagogy. everybody understand that I mean CompactFlash card for DSLR. the difference between types makes no matter, because Pentax never used it.

09-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #1373
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
(...) I mean CompactFlash card for DSLR. (...) Pentax never used it.
They did in the very beginning (*ist D).
09-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #1374
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The XQD card has been on offer by Sony since 2012. Its successor (CFexpress) was announced, but not yet produced I understand, in 2016.

PS – only another 9 sleeps until Photokina 2018.
09-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #1375
Pentaxian

There are now two threads running parallel to this one - about the possibility Pentax will use Samsung sensors .... something like that could certainly explain what we are seeing. Even if Pentax is not willing to announce such a camera, they may be willing to admit an upcoming announcement.

Wild rumour: Samsung to provide APS-C sensors to Ricoh Imaging (and Fujifilm) - PentaxForums.com

Samsung FF sensor's rumors - PentaxForums.com
09-16-2018, 02:05 PM - 3 Likes   #1376
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
PS – only another 9 sleeps until Photokina 2018.
And until this thread bites the dust?
09-16-2018, 02:09 PM - 2 Likes   #1377
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
And until this thread bites the dust?
Uggh ... the sooner, the better! I keep coming back here just in case something useful is posted. How did this thread devolve down to memory cards?
09-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #1378
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Uggh ... the sooner, the better! I keep coming back here just in case something useful is posted. How did this thread devolve down to memory cards?
It periodically devolves down to what someone hopes will be on the K-3 replacement when/if it is announced.
09-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #1379
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Every morning, I check this section's index, because I figure any real news will come from Pentax in the Eastern Hemisphere while I am sleeping in the Western Hemisphere. I check the threads during the day, because a teaser could come in a comment any time ......... but hasn't.
09-16-2018, 02:27 PM   #1380
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There are now two threads running parallel to this one

Samsung..the next sensor source?....Sept 2017.

They are late to the party!
Closed Thread