Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2018, 11:46 PM   #226
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
It is more than that. It is Pentax camera division, the engineers, factories, patents and traditions. Under Ricoh, Pentax has been more focused than ever...
Ricoh had photo division too and they simply merged divisions and make restructing. Pentax is just a brand now. All belongs to Ricoh.

Traditions is very dim area after sales of Pentax's photo division to Hoya and then to Ricoh. With dismissal of personnel.

08-30-2018, 12:45 AM   #227
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Ricoh had photo division too and they simply merged divisions and make restructing. Pentax is just a brand now. All belongs to Ricoh.
That's true. Legally

But the DNA lives on...
08-30-2018, 12:50 AM   #228

Photos: Gallery
Has to be a K3-ii replacement, right?
08-30-2018, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #229
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
What makes you think the KP is disappearing?
big sales recently at CRK au, lets see if they get them back in again. I reckon there is new things coming

---------- Post added 30-08-18 at 05:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Free Danish pastry and coffee as well as a limited supply of mugs and T-shirts for Photokina participants.
nah, I still think the thermos would be good value

---------- Post added 30-08-18 at 05:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
"KP is disappearing fast".
big sales recently, lets see if they get it back in again

08-30-2018, 12:56 AM   #230
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the matter of the K-3 line replacement, while I'd expect the announcement to be more likely at CP+ than Photokina, Ricoh must beware of the prolonged development time that (according to them) caused the K-1 to use USBii and a sensor that had poor video capabilities - I know that some of it is about paying less and producing cheaper products but you can't live forever with a reputation for being a generation or so behind the tech in areas people are familiar with. The unique features of Pentax cameras are too easily written off as gimmicks by tse who don't use them, whereas what are perceived by many outside Pentax world as core competencies (AF, video) are given an inflated value. But, for example, there's little point in investing heavily in AF-C if the sensor you're using can't keep up.
08-30-2018, 12:58 AM   #231
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
That's true. Legally

But the DNA lives on...
That more or less depends on which staff were carried over?
08-30-2018, 01:08 AM - 2 Likes   #232
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
That more or less depends on which staff were carried over?
Well, no - I don't imagine a little closed community of Pentax pixies literally breeding a new generation in a factory somewhere in Japan (or Vietnam, or the Philippines) - but when I read what they say about their design philosophy on the special site, that's pure Pentax.

08-30-2018, 01:17 AM   #233

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I don't think we can judge the existence of Pentax spirit just by the facts alone. Being owned by Ricoh alone doesn't mean much. I work in a division of a company that was bought up some 20 years ago, but the autonomy our division has is very high. We feel more like vassals than an integrated unit.

Even with merger of Ricoh and Pentax divisions, it is unknown if they are truly integrated or which values persisted.
08-30-2018, 01:33 AM   #234
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tranzistors Quote
...Even with merger of Ricoh and Pentax divisions, it is unknown if they are truly integrated or which values persisted.
I've been 'merged' twice while doing the same job. Both times with much larger companies. I still proudly consider myself as representing my first employer, as much as employees from the 2nd and 3rd companies consider me and my co-workers as outsiders from that company...

I suspect that there are ex AOC employees in Ricoh proudly furthering the Pentax brand.
08-30-2018, 01:51 AM   #235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am still hoping for my Pentax thermos
08-30-2018, 01:55 AM   #236
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
absolutely

what is it that exactly that they have confirmed?
08-30-2018, 02:16 AM   #237
Veteran Member

If they will make quality thermos I will consider. If they add new DA *16-50/2.8 or brighter I will buy!
08-30-2018, 02:18 AM   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
If they add new DA *16-50/2.8 or brighter I will buy!
yes definitely me too, and a thermos as well
08-30-2018, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #239
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Well, it would be a good thing for the astro guys. An FA250-600/5.6 shape and size thermos should last you all night!

Now, if they release a new GR I might have difficulties resisting it. My current GR is a wonderful camera but there is room for improvement - not a lot of room, but some. Besides, it's the only camera I have that has paid for itself (and then some) so I have an excuse to get an upgrade
08-30-2018, 02:28 AM   #240
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just think that people had better not whip themselves up to expecting too much. There are new cameras coming, but I just think this is too soon for their release. The only product I'm hoping to see by the end of the year is the 11-18.

I suppose we could see a consumer, variable aperture zoom for the K-1 too -- 70-300 type lens. That seems like the sort of lens that will drop one of these days with minimal fanfare.
Closed Thread