Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2018, 12:40 PM - 2 Likes   #496
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
I really wasn't speaking of production, I was speaking of design. The pace of new designs coming from Pentax lately has been worrying. The competitive landscape is still changing fast enough that they can't afford to stand still on all those lines.
They can design 100 lenses this year but if they can only produce three we’ll only get three. Design planning is driven by production planning.

09-01-2018, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #497
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Try to understand, with statements like this "They will cut production of APS-C cameras. Too many competitors and too many MILCs." which is totally irrational considering that the APS-C cameras are their best selling units. Why would Ricoh Pentax do that? To cut their own throat? Clearly, you, like me, don't have a clue what the are doing or going to do. So lets dispense with all the irrational speculation about what Ricoh Pentax is going to do and wait to see what they might do. How about that.
But that wouldn’t incite FUD.
09-01-2018, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #498
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Wich is why everyone is jumping in on this mirrorless fullframe in 2019.

---------- Post added 01-09-18 at 20:46 ----------

Even in 2010. For the K-5 it took months to fullfill all pre-orders. That was a very different time.

Sales in the last quarter where 40 million USD. That is for K-mount full frame and aps-c body's and lenses, action camera's, Theta, GRII and 645Z with lenses. The expectation is that this will be for the whole year the average sales number (10 % less then in the last full year). So 500.000 camera's units sale would make it 320 USD a unit for Ricoh-Imaging and leaving no sales for lenses, Theta or GR. Not possible.
Cite your source for that with live links to independent financial reports. Otherwise I’m calling BS.
09-01-2018, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #499
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
If we compare K-1 FF DSLR system with Sony, Nikon and Canon FF mirrorless systems, it would be rather serious leap and great shift.
If Panasonic joins this company, I'm afraid, the market share of Ricoh's DSLR become less than now...It's objective reality. The objective truth.

What will Ricoh do in such condition? It's interesting question.
You cannot simply call your opinion "the objective truth" and get away with that.

09-01-2018, 01:09 PM - 3 Likes   #500
mee
Veteran Member

Rather strange reaction to other people's views and discussion.
Try to be tolerance of other point of view without any sarcasm.
I don't understand your behaviour and ad hominem arguments.

I think some here are hypersensitive and have brash personalities. I don't always agree with what you say, but I feel no desire to somehow prove you 'wrong' like others do. What does that net anyone? Nothing. Because it is just a trivial conversation about camera rumors and the like. Kudos to you for staying polite.
09-01-2018, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #501
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Cite your source for that with live links to independent financial reports. Otherwise I’m calling BS.
You can call whatever you want and when you want that. You are an adult and far enough away from me that I won't suffer from the noise.

It is discussed in a thread overhere.
Q1 2019 Financial Reports - Pentax still not doomed. - PentaxForums.com

As all financial reports during the past years where discussed on this forum.
09-01-2018, 01:14 PM   #502
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If we compare K-1 FF DSLR system with Sony, Nikon and Canon FF mirrorless systems, it would be rather serious leap and great shift.
If Panasonic joins this company, I'm afraid, the market share of Ricoh's DSLR become less than now...It's objective reality. The objective truth.

What will Ricoh do in such condition? It's interesting question.
Objective BS maybe.

09-01-2018, 01:27 PM - 1 Like   #503
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But that wouldn’t incite FUD.
Hmmmm.....very true, what would we do without our daily dose of FUD??
09-01-2018, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #504

By the way, I like to have a new APS_C. K3_3.
With mirror and display like K1
09-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #505
Veteran Member

They can design 100 lenses this year but if they can only produce three we’ll only get three. Design planning is driven by production planning.
I would assume their design and production capacities are well balanced with each other without evidence to the contrary. And weren't you just arguing that production wasn't a problem?
09-01-2018, 01:47 PM   #506
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess it not that balanced as they have obvious holes in both FF and 645....
09-01-2018, 02:06 PM - 5 Likes   #507
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would assume their design and production capacities are well balanced with each other without evidence to the contrary. And weren't you just arguing that production wasn't a problem?
I wrote that, given their 1990’s production process and elderly machines they’re production scheduling is masterful. Reading that implies they are somewhat production constrained. That’s pure opinion based on reading such comments as the explanation for the DFA*50 delay, RIcoh announcing immediately on acquisition they had bought new evaporators (so they could apply HD nanocoatings) and PM discussions with members who are close to Pentax but who post infrequently.

Our expections are misaligned with Pentax scale and capacity and with their vision and strategy. We inherently apply CaNiSony expectations and assumptions, when Pentax is tiny by comparison. They don’t want to compete with the big boys. They’re doing something different.

So long as RIcoh allows it they can continue to run the business as they are for the foreseeable future. They’re doing the right things: designing awesome lenses; updating software and opening the API & SDK’s; building Theta. They’re vexingly tight lipped, and nature abhors a (information) vacuum, so we can be victimized by our own false projections and the intentionally disruptive statements of trolls and agents provacateurs. If we’re patient, and use what we have, Pentax will be fine. But if one by one we get frustrated and abandon them because they don’t meet our acquisitive expectations - TODAY - they’ll gradually wither and die.

Some people actually want to see that happen.

Last edited by monochrome; 09-02-2018 at 03:21 AM.
09-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #508
Pentaxian

The pace of new designs coming from Pentax lately has been worrying.
Life is too short to be wasting time constantly worrying. Don't worry, instead of worrying take action: sell you Pentax gear (K-7, *ist DS, K-01?) and go with another brand. And you rather follow your own gut feeling (or logic if your are logical), as opposed to find comfort by anonymous forum members because in case things don't happen as they predict your only recourse would be to bite your fingers... People here do not have insider information, and even if some people do have insider information they are no allowed to disclose. So, the information you get from PF is insignificant for you to make any reliable decision.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-01-2018 at 02:15 PM.
09-01-2018, 03:10 PM - 2 Likes   #509
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Life is too short to be wasting time constantly worrying. Don't worry, instead of worrying take action: sell you Pentax gear (K-7, *ist DS, K-01?) and go with another brand.
There seem to be enough people worrying about those other brands, in other places, to negate that as a strategy for happiness. Nikon, in particular, just now. Good to see that we’re not alone.
09-01-2018, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #510
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
There seem to be enough people worrying about those other brands, in other places, to negate that as a strategy for happiness. Nikon, in particular, just now. Good to see that we’re not alone.
Humans are Humans. This is the aspect we've lost as a civilized society... we're so polarized to think people who hold a particular view or prefer a particular brand are some how inferior as a being or have less value. Which can result in a lot of really foul and viscous interaction.

People using Pentax gear are no different underneath than people who wield, for instance, Canon gear. It is too bad we cannot celebrate our common interests more as photographers and photography enthusiasts than lumping each other into factions (such as 'Pentaxian' or 'Nikonian') and whittling each other down based on aspects that don't help each other and, frankly, don't really matter.
Closed Thread