Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2018, 04:43 AM   #541
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What is possibility that Canon and Nikon end their current lens mount? Just asking

09-02-2018, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #542
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
What is possibility that Canon and Nikon end their current lens mount? Just asking
In the short term, zero. It's still their bread and butter. If sales of legacy mount equipment looked like they were trending to almost nothing then they might consider it.
09-02-2018, 04:51 AM   #543
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Panic? Is it a joke? We quietly talk about tendency of new wide-front attack of MILCs and what is the strategy of Ricoh in such situation.
Nothing to do or to do the same they did or try to change something to be in general trend.

We don't know now...But I think we could understand it analysing the photo gears news from Ricoh. But no news at all....
Except, DFA*50/1.4 is on sale and DA*11-18 is postponed.

MILC market is stable with high growing for last year.
Yes, panic - I'm talking about the ever present mirrorless propaganda and not about this particular discussion. Although you should re-read your post

You don't want to know, because it doesn't fit the "high growing" claim. Yet I've told you - production increased, shipments decreased.
And even if there was growth in 2017, in 2016 there was a decline; same for 2014 and 2013.

As I said, no reason to panic. Even expecting a boost due to Canon and Nikon launching their FF mirrorless systems, the DSLR market should still remain strong - and Pentax will be in no immediate danger.

---------- Post added 02-09-18 at 02:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
But the question is: Will Ricoh make a camera that has a back LCD display as large as a smartphone for reviewing photos? Why such tiny 3.2" back LCD?
For a very practical reason: there is no room for such a display.
Unless they'd either make a very large camera, or would ruin the interface by eliminating hardware controls.
09-02-2018, 04:53 AM - 2 Likes   #544
Veteran Member

The release of:
- 85mm f1.4L IS
- 70-200mm f4L IS
-70-200mm f2.8L IS

and also the upcoming release of:
- 400mm f2.8L III
- 600mm f4L III

indicates that DSLR is here to stay a bit longer than what people predict on the internet.

09-02-2018, 04:56 AM   #545
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
For a very practical reason: there is no room for such a display.Unless they'd either make a very large camera, or would ruin the interface by eliminating hardware controls.
Would be a large touch screen display with software buttons on the side. Didn't Leica manage to do that?

---------- Post added 02-09-18 at 13:58 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
indicates that DSLR is here to stay a bit longer than what people predict on the internet.
humm, yes, strange, even third parties (Tamron, Sigma) still releasing new lenses for Canon EF and Nikon F mounts. Maybe they are not yet so sure that DSLR will disappear.
09-02-2018, 05:11 AM   #546
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Mirrorless isn't "new" as Pal often tells us, but it certainly is a place where camera companies have sunk a lot of resources and as such, it has a lot more new models coming out. And we know that new sells. If Nikon ever releases a D750/D610 sequel for a nice price, that could sell way more than the Z6/7 models will -- particularly considering where they are priced and specified. Nikon doesn't seem to be inclined to do that, but to me, the "slowing" of SLR sales has more to do with brands not figuring out where to go with new SLR cameras, not necessarily that they wouldn't sell if they made them.

In point of fact, I don't really understand Nikon or Canon's new releases entirely, because I evaluate these things based on lenses, not on bodies. A 35mm f1.8 lens for 850 dollars (when the F mount Sigma 35 f1.4 is only 900)? A 28-70 f2 lens that weighs three and a half pounds? A 58mm f0.95 lens that is going to be manual focus only? It feels like Canon and Nikon have decided to be different from Sony in the mirrorless realm and they think this means creating special lenses. Unfortunately, those lenses come at a cost -- both weight and price.

We have gotten to the point with regard to specifications that they are a bit silly. Everyone seems to want to build a camera that can shoot 20 frames per second. But what is the point? How many folks really want/need that time of frame rate? Even 10 frames per second is probably over kill for most people. 4K video feels like another thing that everyone needs, except I see very little 4K video shot by average folks and what I see on the internet is down sampled enough that I can't tell the difference between it and standard HD video.

In the end, all of the brands are throwing stuff up against the wall, hoping that their releases catch fire and help them maintain or even grow market share, but many of them feel a bit desperate to me and lacking coherence. In many ways, Ricoh's slow (too slow) pattern of releases with actual improvements is probably what is needed here. For them to run out and try to catch the mirrorless train could be disastrous for them. Many of the brands trying to catch that train may end up being run over by it before all is said and done.
It sounds sexy though, press will eat it up and talk about it for months to come. Reviewers love to talk about specs, and people love hearing that their camera (or future camera) is special. Both Canon and nikon have tons of normal lenses that can be used with their adapters, I'm sure that's the main reason they are going for loud announcements for their native line ups.
09-02-2018, 05:30 AM   #547
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it were my company, I would be looking at what constructive criticisms my brand receives in the marketplace—then prioritize them and address them. So rather than wondering about which camera body or style is coming next, I'd be hoping/wishing for improved continuous autofocus. From what I've read here and around the Web it's debatable . . . and that's the problem. Ricoh needs to improve Pentax autofocus significantly so that it is no longer debatable.

Continuous autofocus isn't my top priority; in fact, I've never used it. For many photographers, however, it is and thus they go to another brand. Remove the debate through product improvement and marketing, and sales should improve.

Wash, rinse, and repeat for video.

09-02-2018, 05:33 AM   #548

A firmware update with auto stacking . Choose the number of shots, say 5, and the camera will automatically take at f2.8, f5.6, f11, f16 and f22. Would be even more useful with a power zoom lens where the camera could divide the zoom range by the number if shots using either a fixed aperture or varied between a range.

09-02-2018, 05:59 AM   #549
ogl
Banned

When? In 10 years?
09-02-2018, 06:02 AM   #550
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
If it were my company, I would be looking at what constructive criticisms my brand receives in the marketplace—then prioritize them and address them. So rather than wondering about which camera body or style is coming next, I'd be hoping/wishing for improved continuous autofocus. From what I've read here and around the Web it's debatable . . . and that's the problem. Ricoh needs to improve Pentax autofocus significantly so that it is no longer debatable.Continuous autofocus isn't my top priority; in fact, I've never used it. For many photographers, however, it is and thus they go to another brand. Remove the debate through product improvement and marketing, and sales should improve.Wash, rinse, and repeat for video.
If Pentax would have read market place feedback , they would have never invented pixel-shift .
09-02-2018, 06:05 AM   #551
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If Pentax would have read market place feedback , they would have never invented pixel-shift .
Being responsive and being innovative are not mutually exclusive.
09-02-2018, 08:20 AM   #552
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
GR is pocketable.
Indeed, and IMO it should stay that way.
09-02-2018, 08:48 AM - 2 Likes   #553
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
In 3-5 years time no manufacturer will release another SLR again. For more than 15 years the switch to mirrorless is obvious, now it is happening.
Maybe... but I have heard the "now it is happening" for almost 10 years now. It still hasn't.

Time will show. In the meantime I'll stick to my SLRs
09-02-2018, 08:55 AM - 1 Like   #554
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The very same discussion was held in the 1960s when SLR cameras started to outnumber rangefinder systems, aka mirrorless cameras in today's speak. SLRs won big time. AF mounts replaced classic mounts in the 80s and 90s. Change is happening. If you are happy with your current camera or want to keep it for many more years, do so. No manufacturer has funds to throw away and there is a market for the new camera systems. The majority of lenses will be much smaller than classic design and the camera do offer new features.
I don't see any evidence that lenses are getting smaller. They're getting bigger and more expensive, especially when they have to cover the registration distance that isn't built into the camera anymore.

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp:
In 3-5 years time no manufacturer will release another SLR again. For more than 15 years the switch to mirrorless is obvious, now it is happening.
Their loss.
09-02-2018, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #555
Pentaxian

No, that's wrong of course.
As wrong as to say that film is dead, and even falser just for the fact that mirrorless brings no image quality improvement.

SLR will continue because there'snothing a mirrorless can do an SLR cannot do.
To the opposite, there are a few things ML will NEVER be able to do :
- be analog to the photograph's view
- be more energy efficient
- be more longlasting (sensor durability, technical obsolecence)
- allow lens use without power.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 09-02-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Closed Thread