Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2018, 12:24 AM   #721
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
On the adorama YouTube Chanel they are teasing about a big announcement at 7pm UK time. Probably another SonyCanNikon, but I will have a look anyway
It's likely the Canon EOS R announcement Cerebum

09-05-2018, 04:36 AM   #722
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
GR with the sensor of the KP, that is something that would be in line with what Ricoh Imaging have been doing. I may consider getting an XT-2 then.
What do you have against KP sensor??
09-05-2018, 04:42 AM   #723

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I still think that FF GR monochrome is a great idea but I maybe the only one who would buy such a thing.
Funnily enough, I've gotten used to the "colored raw -> monochrome in post"-workflow and the leeway it provides to the extent that I probably couldn't be arsed to use actual physical color filters for my camera. That's just me though.
09-05-2018, 04:42 AM   #724
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
What do you have against KP sensor??
Nothing. It's just that I'm not interested in a GR concept. I prefer to be able to swap lenses, the XT2 is now cheaper, has EVF, good AF and I can swap a couple of lenses. That's it.
Before I buy anything, I'll wait to see what Ricoh will offer, then I'll decide.

09-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #725
ogl
Banned

09-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #726
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is very old news......
Was a question - not a statement (hence it couldn't have been "news")
09-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #727
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Was a question - not a statement (hence it couldn't have been "news")
24 megapixel Full Frame K-11 coming? - PentaxForums.com

It will never come.

09-05-2018, 09:12 AM   #728
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It will never come.
No it won't come, 24Mp would have higher frame rate, Kenspo wouldn't have said he change brand due to K1 chocking after 10 frames..
That being said, it could be a re-release of the Ricoh GR with the accelerator chip inside (if Ricoh still have excess stock of accelerator chip they fit them wherever they can).
09-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #729
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by iudex Quote
I think the "decisive moment" in the camera market has come now. Mirrorless has been here for 10 years and they have been eating larger and larger market share. However it was still only "small players" (or not-first-league players) who decided to abandon DSLR and go fully mirrorless. I have always said in ML vs DSLR discussions that unless the big two (Canon and Nikon) release a serious mirorless cameras the DSLRs will be dominating. But now the moment came. Nikon introduced the first serious ML camera and Canon will do so in 2 days. It is obvious the DSLR will not die or vanish soon, there will be new Nikon and Canon DSLRs for some time. However turning the focus (and resources) to mirorleess will mean less R&D of DSLRs and lenses (this means no serious innovation); OTOH mirrorless will get a lot of attention and we can expect rapid improvement in ML technology.

And hwhere is Pentax/Ricoh place in this moment? I am very sad to say this but I believe Pentax cameras will slowly go to oblivion. Such a small company has not enough resources to make a new competitive mirrorless camera (that was when the K-01 came out and when there was no big competition) and the base of DSLR customers will - in best case - remain the same, but more probably will be getting smaller and smaller, until one day the managers say it is not economically sane to produce DSLRs any more and quit the whole camera business. I hope I am wrong and Pentax will release some interesting mirrorless, but with DSLRs it is destined to get even less market share.

And I think their Photokina release will be symptomatical for their future: even a new DSLR (which is the most many here are hoping for) will get attention only from Pentax fans, the rest of the world will talk solely about the new Canon FF mirrorless (Panasonic FF mirorless). Not mentioning the case when the announcement will be anything smaller (like new lens/-es).
You realize you just made Ricoh's case, don't you?
09-05-2018, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #730
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iudex Quote
I think the "decisive moment" in the camera market has come now. Mirrorless has been here for 10 years and they have been eating larger and larger market share. However it was still only "small players" (or not-first-league players) who decided to abandon DSLR and go fully mirrorless. I have always said in ML vs DSLR discussions that unless the big two (Canon and Nikon) release a serious mirorless cameras the DSLRs will be dominating. But now the moment came. Nikon introduced the first serious ML camera and Canon will do so in 2 days. It is obvious the DSLR will not die or vanish soon, there will be new Nikon and Canon DSLRs for some time. However turning the focus (and resources) to mirorleess will mean less R&D of DSLRs and lenses (this means no serious innovation); OTOH mirrorless will get a lot of attention and we can expect rapid improvement in ML technology.

And hwhere is Pentax/Ricoh place in this moment? I am very sad to say this but I believe Pentax cameras will slowly go to oblivion. Such a small company has not enough resources to make a new competitive mirrorless camera (that was when the K-01 came out and when there was no big competition) and the base of DSLR customers will - in best case - remain the same, but more probably will be getting smaller and smaller, until one day the managers say it is not economically sane to produce DSLRs any more and quit the whole camera business. I hope I am wrong and Pentax will release some interesting mirrorless, but with DSLRs it is destined to get even less market share.

And I think their Photokina release will be symptomatical for their future: even a new DSLR (which is the most many here are hoping for) will get attention only from Pentax fans, the rest of the world will talk solely about the new Canon FF mirrorless (Panasonic FF mirorless). Not mentioning the case when the announcement will be anything smaller (like new lens/-es).
Part of the question is how the market responds to all of this. From a thread about the new Canon EOS-R
Canon EOS R Mirrorless Launch Line-up Leaked - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com
I'm learning that the new Nikon and Canon cameras have mediocre AF.C. Most people aren't interested in photographing bicycle riders, but certain pros are interested in photographing football and basketball players. If these relatively influential pros stick with DSLR for a few years, rather than switching to Sony, the whole discussion becomes more complex.
09-05-2018, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #731
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
You realize you just made Ricoh's case, don't you?
Part of Pentax's respnse will depend on what Sony is willing to sell to them - and I'm fairly sure we'll never hear that story.
09-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #732
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Part of Pentax's respnse will depend on what Sony is willing to sell to them - and I'm fairly sure we'll never hear that story.
And that depends on what risk Pentax appears to offer Sony’s camera business...

There’s a balance between sales of chips and lost sales of cameras...

-Eric
09-05-2018, 04:19 PM   #733
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote

-Eric
I thought that they were different companies both under the overall umbrella (Zaibatsu,) of Sony? Sometimes the left hand goes for profit at the expense of the right hand.
09-05-2018, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #734
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote

-Eric
Sony's camera and sensor divisions are separate now.
09-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #735
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Sony's camera and sensor divisions are separate now.
I wonder about the actual policy separation, though. Unless they were devolved to totally separate ownership and/or governance, I’d have thought there’s be some interaction between them at that level, not to mention the technical and managements levels. Even then, Japanese companies have a history of working within what’s acknowledged to be the national interest, unlike many Western organisations.
Closed Thread