Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2018, 11:33 PM - 1 Like   #751
Pentaxian

And I'd question for how long they will continue it, as Sonys sensor division is under fire with regards to camera sensors:

Sony states in their report:

"Significant decrease in sales of camera modules, a business which was downsized"

Good luck in explaining to your board that you shrink more in spite of already having fired people and at the same time deliberately do not sell to potential buyers.

09-05-2018, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #752
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I thought that they were different companies both under the overall umbrella (Zaibatsu,) of Sony? Sometimes the left hand goes for profit at the expense of the right hand.
Samsung sell TV screens to Sony, it probably happens more than we realise. Also, every review says "its the Sony 24mp chip" so they get lots of free advertising
09-06-2018, 12:08 AM   #753
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Actively not selling to large amounts of potential buyers for the hope of some intangible advantage is a sure way to invite other competitors into the game while loosing money yourself.
Yes, B2B deals are much more reliable cash flow than the whims of consumers.

I'd be upset as the sensors head if I was asked by my camera division 'colleague' to turn down future deals to help his current product campaign.

*My* team has objectives, KPIs, bonuses, performance reviews and career paths on the line, too.

Last edited by clackers; 09-06-2018 at 12:13 AM.
09-06-2018, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #754

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Hi all .

I have very trusted word today that Ricoh will definitely announce something at Photokina, or before, as opposed to no announcement of anything this year (some have been wondering, including myself).

Details have to wait, but its confirmed for sure. You know it's not going to be some lame point and shoot camera either. I was very happy to confirm that today. There is speculation on what is to be announced since April, but, I'm not so sure that's going to be all....

So look forward to Photokina (or anytime till then) for Ricoh/Pentax who have been pretty quiet since April. To me, that's good news and I wanted to share it here first because I care about the lot of you and like this website a lot.

p.s. Loving the K70 and the 55-300mm PLM. LOVING IT. Writing and photographing diligently...!

-Carl
wise moves would be Mirrorless with KAF mounts
APS-C @ around 800$ with 16/24 megapixels
FF @less than 2 000 $ with 36+ megapixels
Second choice new mirrorless system may be in 4/3
Dream
Pentax K2 APS-C 24+ mega with touch tilting screen, gps and optional waist level viewfinder if technically possible , flash or even small fill in flash integrated to the body(do not take many flash photography nowdays)
may be a digital cam based on Auto110 just for publicity

09-06-2018, 03:32 AM   #755
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicopatch Quote
FF @less than 2 000 $ with 36+ megapixels
For me 24Mp would be fine. The next step for significant higher res. would be 100Mp, too much on FF sensor. 24Mp with 8 FPS, end of story.

---------- Post added 06-09-18 at 12:35 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicopatch Quote
Pentax K2 APS-C 24+ mega with touch tilting screen
Touch screen for camera is a good idea to begin with, but practically all camera touch screen suck more or less, the reason being that 3" or 3.2" displays used in cameras are too small compared to mobile phone display for effective touch screen (given average size of human fingers). XT3 touch screen sucks, same for the Sony's , 3"is too small for touch screen. if a camera was equipped with a touch screen , it would be an implementation like Leica SL, large touch LCD including configurable camera buttons on the display itself (that tech is easily accessible for Ricoh Imaging, it would just be willingness of RI product management to decide to do it).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-06-2018 at 03:37 AM.
09-06-2018, 04:13 AM   #756
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know we all know this, at some level at least, but I'm saying it because it's still a fresh for me, not some arsey debating point:

I've just been looking at a few hundred of the images produced by one of of my favourite photographers over the decades. In the early days he used to use a Nikon 35mm film camera, then for a couple of decades he used a Pentax 67. For the last 10 years he's used a Canon DSLR - and you know what? I'm not even going to say it - you do know what.
09-06-2018, 06:22 AM   #757
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
For me 24Mp would be fine. The next step for significant higher res. would be 100Mp, too much on FF sensor. 24Mp with 8 FPS, end of story.

---------- Post added 06-09-18 at 12:35 ----------

Touch screen for camera is a good idea to begin with, but practically all camera touch screen suck more or less, the reason being that 3" or 3.2" displays used in cameras are too small compared to mobile phone display for effective touch screen (given average size of human fingers). XT3 touch screen sucks, same for the Sony's , 3"is too small for touch screen. if a camera was equipped with a touch screen , it would be an implementation like Leica SL, large touch LCD including configurable camera buttons on the display itself (that tech is easily accessible for Ricoh Imaging, it would just be willingness of RI product management to decide to do it).
XT3 touch screen sucks
Have you already tested a camera that has been announced a couple of hours ago? Are you an X-trans photographer who receives cameras for testing before official release? I am quite skeptical.
all camera touch screen suck more or less
And now the othef fairy-tale about Pentaxians not caring about video.

09-06-2018, 06:40 AM   #758
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
It's not entirely clear to me that even if Sony operated like a full on US company that it would be in their best interests to not release their best sensors to competitors:
The reason I asked about laws is that in the US, Sony's vertical integration would be a problem - yes, I know that Canon is also integrated that way, but they don't have external customers, and in the US, the feds would protect external customers from the type of preferential treatment you're talking about.
09-06-2018, 07:07 AM   #759
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The reason I asked about laws is that in the US, Sony's vertical integration would be a problem - yes, I know that Canon is also integrated that way, but they don't have external customers, and in the US, the feds would protect external customers from the type of preferential treatment you're talking about
Yuh - I'm not actually familiar with the the details of US legislation, so perhaps I shouldn't have used the USA as an example - but my point really was that, whatever the regulatory framework, I don't actually think it would be in Sony's commercial interests to not supply competitors in the camera business or or overcharge them for their sensors.
09-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #760
Pentaxian

*If* Sony stopped selling sensors, it would help their camera business short-term. It would cripple their sensor business permanently from all the lost sales.

There would be a huge opening for another company to start supplying sensors to Pentax, Nikon, etc.

Remember that Sony sells sensors to other industries beyond typical consumer cameras. Sony's mobile phone division sells Xperia phones, while the sensor division sells sensors that get used in many brands of phones. Sony also sells sensors for automotive, industrial, and surveillance cameras. Cutting all that off would cripple the sales volume that helped Sony make good sensors.
09-06-2018, 08:59 AM   #761
Pentaxian

the image transfer app lets your phone work as a waist level viewfinder/touchscreen... could work a lot better, but it is improving.
09-06-2018, 01:02 PM   #762
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
And I'd question for how long they will continue it, as Sonys sensor division is under fire with regards to camera sensors:

Sony states in their report:

"Significant decrease in sales of camera modules, a business which was downsized"

Good luck in explaining to your board that you shrink more in spite of already having fired people and at the same time deliberately do not sell to potential buyers.
'Modules' references, IMO to a lot of possibilities BUT camera sensor only (phones, automotive, industrial etc).
09-06-2018, 01:34 PM   #763
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by iudex Quote
Have you already tested a camera that has been announced a couple of hours ago? Are you an X-trans photographer who receives cameras for testing before official release? I am quite skeptical.
And now the othef fairy-tale about Pentaxians not caring about video.
Mostly I have also found older camera touch screen being more or less a gimmic. Nice, but could be better (Oly EM5II) even my I phone drives me crazy some times, and not just for taking pictures vise. I'd rater have just little aid from there. Rest, manual buttons, please, simplyer the better.

I don't care also about video so much, but I use it almost every day with my K-1 for my work. And it is actually quite good, despite all the negative talk. Ofcourse IF you are videographer, then it would be different thing. And most video guys that I know they go what they just think works best...canon, GH5, RED, you know, some guys Sony. So no fairytales, it is all up to what floats to your boat.

I for example use Oly or my K-1
09-06-2018, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #764
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to say that I really hate touch screens. I simply can't use them effectively when there is any moisture on my fingers. If someone calls me when I'm working out, I literally can't answer my cell phone (another reason not to exercise). I can't use my phone when the temperature is over 85 because I get perspiration on my hands. Some of you all are lucky and don't sweat, but I do and it effectively makes touch screens pretty useless for me in many situations.

Strangely, buttons work just fine in all of these same situations...
09-06-2018, 07:17 PM - 3 Likes   #765
Pentaxian

A MILC released under the Ricoh GXR name would be the best thing to do.

This way:
1. It does not anger the Pentax mobs who will smell that their lenses will become obsolete (even though many are really MF anyway )
2. Any failure will be Ricoh GXR not Pentax XXX
3. Any success can be carried over as a Pentax success
4. Best way to get a new line of cameras/lenses out and kill the scared cow while officially denying it (if the new line is a success)

But...
Being Pentax, it may well be an announcement that they are launching a new Hello Kitty styled KP.
Closed Thread