Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2018, 11:41 PM   #766
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
'Modules' references, IMO to a lot of possibilities BUT camera sensor only (phones, automotive, industrial etc).
I do not see a difference to what I wrote. Maybe you explain a little more?

09-07-2018, 02:24 AM - 3 Likes   #767
Veteran Member

Although I dont have anything against MILC or EVF (and I much would've loved to see a Pentax MILC with K-Mount and EVF), I now think it's more clever to stay away from the MILC race which started only now IMHO, with so many new players.

I think these companies have a lot of cash to burn and they will burn it nicely with their new offerings. Pentax, OTOH, has a nice niche with their SLR offerings, APSC, FF, 645. They should rather stay focused on pulling out lenses and further evolve the K-1, K-3 and 645. GR under Ricoh label doesnt hurt either. The brand is a niche player and should stay there. There are sufficient customers who love to be in that niche. Even the platypus hasnt died out.
09-07-2018, 03:31 AM   #768
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Hi all .

I have very trusted word today that Ricoh will definitely announce something at Photokina, or before, as opposed to no announcement of anything this year (some have been wondering, including myself).

Details have to wait, but its confirmed for sure. You know it's not going to be some lame point and shoot camera either. I was very happy to confirm that today. There is speculation on what is to be announced since April, but, I'm not so sure that's going to be all....

So look forward to Photokina (or anytime till then) for Ricoh/Pentax who have been pretty quiet since April. To me, that's good news and I wanted to share it here first because I care about the lot of you and like this website a lot.

p.s. Loving the K70 and the 55-300mm PLM. LOVING IT. Writing and photographing diligently...!

-Carl
As 2019 is a year of celebration for Asahi-Pentax I wouldn't expect anything big this year (and I haven't learnt anything different). This is a year where Ricoh could announce succesors to its succesful Theta line (and maybe a new GRIII?). I don't know if they will confirm any new camera development for 2019 (about lenses we know what to expect), but I think 2019 will be the year of new releases of new and anniversary equipment!
09-07-2018, 03:48 AM   #769
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
As 2019 is a year of celebration for Asahi-Pentax I wouldn't expect anything big this year (and I haven't learnt anything different). This is a year where Ricoh could announce succesors to its succesful Theta line (and maybe a new GRIII?). I don't know if they will confirm any new camera development for 2019 (about lenses we know what to expect), but I think 2019 will be the year of new releases of new and anniversary equipment!
That's sort of my take too - I agree.

09-07-2018, 03:55 AM   #770
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Theta is not Pentax camera. About Pentax camera: If Ricoh Imaging would release an new apsc flagship either end of 2018 or early 2019, it would be a good sign that they stay on track. If they don't do such camera, and instead do a refresh the GR (K1 mark II style mini update), then it's not a good sign, if so means no new tech dev. for the last 3 years. I hope they come up with something that show they aren't running downhill.
09-07-2018, 04:03 AM   #771
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Theta is not Pentax camera. About Pentax camera: If Ricoh Imaging would release an new apsc flagship either end of 2018 or early 2019, it would be a good sign that they stay on track. If they don't do such camera, and instead do a refresh the GR (K1 mark II style mini update), then it's not a good sign, if so means no new tech dev. for the last 3 years. I hope they come up with something that show they aren't running downhill.
I think what redpit was saying, and I agree, is that they might chose to keep the Pentax powder dry until CP+, as part of the anniversary year, but announce Ricoh products at Photokina (with maybe some already shown Pentax stuff like the 11-18 just to keep people interested.)
09-07-2018, 04:17 AM   #772
Veteran Member

If Ricoh really wants to celebrate the Asahi anniversary, they should do it with a big update. I would see a K-3 III rather as something usual, so Photokina would be the place to announce that. For a 100th, I would expect a "FF" 645. That'd be awesome. However, is there any indication at all they will celebrate something? It's Ricoh (which is not 100 yrs), Asahi is long gone and Pentax "only" a brand for them... Did Ricoh celebrate their own 80th? With the K-1?

09-07-2018, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #773
Pentaxian

99 years ago there was nothing called Pentax, just Asahi Optical Company, which doesn't exist anymore. If Ricoh chooses to celebrate a 100th anniversary next year, they'll be celebrating the 'forefather' of Pentax, a company that also doesn't exist anymore, so what would they be celebrating then?
09-07-2018, 05:53 AM   #774
Pentaxian

IMO, new product release won't be tied to a 100 years anniversary, company needs cash to survive, if the gear is ready earlier and the market is there, no reason to wait, or the wait would be an excuse for the gear not being ready to market.
09-07-2018, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #775
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
99 years ago there was nothing called Pentax, just Asahi Optical Company, which doesn't exist anymore. If Ricoh chooses to celebrate a 100th anniversary next year, they'll be celebrating the 'forefather' of Pentax, a company that also doesn't exist anymore, so what would they be celebrating then?
When they took over Pentax Imaging Systems, they "acquired" Pentax' history from its roots.

OTOH I agree with biz-engineer, they would not delay ready to market products just because of the 100 years anniversary. They can always prepare a special edition (gunmetal or something) for that.
09-07-2018, 05:56 AM - 2 Likes   #776
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, they would be celebrating a major milestone on the road that led to what they do today. Asahi was a center of innovation. They might want to associate themselves with that innovation.
09-07-2018, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #777
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If perceived as something to market, promote brand visibility, drum up sales excitement etc., I'm sure they could come up with a justification for claiming a 100 year anniversary.

09-07-2018, 06:03 AM   #778
Pentaxian

The Pentax name dates from 1957 when the first pentaprism slr was introduced. So Pentax is not a 100 Years old quite yet. It's roots yes. In 1980 when Asahi Optical was 60 years old the LX was introduced. So next year we should see a new mirrorless mount called C on the first new style photokina.
09-07-2018, 06:08 AM - 2 Likes   #779
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lol
They don't worry about inconvenient truths, its just a good marketing ploy , like Mini, MG and Rolls Royce celebrating their Englishness, despite being German or chinese
09-07-2018, 06:10 AM - 1 Like   #780
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
IMO, new product release won't be tied to a 100 years anniversary, company needs cash to survive, if the gear is ready earlier and the market is there, no reason to wait, or the wait would be an excuse for the gear not being ready to market.
They wouldn't delay a product that was ready for market, they would simply make their plans so it was ready at the proper time. This would have happened a long time ago.
Closed Thread