Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
some K5 owners upgraded to a smartphone
Say what?

09-09-2018, 06:34 AM   #857
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Getting the focus on other cameras models being advertised takes your attention away from knowing best how to use what you have. After two years (today) owning the K1, I've still discovering some nice things that I wished I knew before, and I'm one of the users who try to understand how things work. It is sad to have users who will tell "My K1 doesn't do that, I'm looking at the other brand" when in fact the K1 does what they want and even more. Eventually, you show them that it works but they are still not convinced. That's miserable.

---------- Post added 09-09-18 at 15:39 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Say what?
I meant , some users downgraded from a K5 to a smartphone.
09-09-2018, 07:03 AM - 2 Likes   #858
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't follow what Pentax (or other manufacturers for that matter) on what they offer or may be offering solely for my own potential purchases. I'll likely keep shooting with my K-1 beyond the Mark II or Mark III, or the eventual foray into mirrorless. I watch because the sustainability of the brand is also rooted in what newcomers to photography and/or those who want to upgrade have available to them as options. They are future Pentax lens buyers and new models buyers, too. Any brand has to hold its own against the competition despite its vaulted history. Just ask Nikon.
09-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #859
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
We seem to have a bunch of folks here who think camera manufactures sole purpose is to keep them engaged and interested in buying stuff.

That is precisely camera manufacturers sole purpose. If they don't have customers interested and buying their products, they don't have a company.

09-09-2018, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #860
Pentaxian

What would happen if we all were transported back to 2004? Would we all say pentax is doomed and I can't take a decent picture and pentax better release the k100d so they can quickly release the k10d so that they can quickly release the k200d and k20d so they can get to the k5 etc?
It's a flow through time. If we in late 2018 go back to 2004 our expectations are clearly out of whack. That's easy to see. I think Ricoh's expectations are pretty close to where they realistically should be for late 2018. Anyone who thinks realistical expectations for 2019+ should be now will be upset just as if they went back to 2004. I wasn't rooted in 2018 expectations then and was thrilled with my k100d.
I am glad I defer to pentax for my expectations because I believe they can do a much more realistic appraisal for what they should be than I can.
09-09-2018, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #861
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If Tamron alone suddenly supported K mount it would be a dream. We'd get an affordable UWA zoom that accepts ring filters, a decent 100-400mm lightweight zoom, a larger 150-600mm, a 70-210mm f/4, and a trio of sharp, sealed f/1.8 primes. All lens options currently missing from the D-FA lineup.
I'd very much like a lighter UWA zoom for sure. I'd rather have a f4 UWA zoom and a fast prime for stars when I need it, than lug my 15-30 with me on hikes, however, as I'm out of options I just do that anyway. And I hate the 150mm filters, I'm constantly scared ill drop it)
09-09-2018, 08:16 AM   #862
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
What would happen if we all were transported back to 2004? Would we all say pentax is doomed and I can't take a decent picture and pentax better release the k100d so they can quickly release the k10d so that they can quickly release the k200d and k20d so they can get to the k5 etc?
It's a flow through time. If we in late 2018 go back to 2004 our expectations are clearly out of whack. That's easy to see. I think Ricoh's expectations are pretty close to where they realistically should be for late 2018. Anyone who thinks realistical expectations for 2019+ should be now will be upset just as if they went back to 2004. I wasn't rooted in 2018 expectations then and was thrilled with my k100d.
I am glad I defer to pentax for my expectations because I believe they can do a much more realistic appraisal for what they should be than I can.

Yet we live in 2018 not 2004 today. As a brand, every company has to adapt theirs to changes in a shifting market. But I'm not sure anyone here is claiming Pentax is doomed. Where is it?

Most of the grievances I'm reading on the FF side aren't in the camera bodies presented but the speed (or lack thereof) of lens launches for the bodies they put on the market. On the APS-C side, the K-3 II is quite dated (considering it is simply a 2015 reheat of the 2013 released K-3), so I can understand the frustration of some who are still waiting for the successor to arrive. It is well past due and I can sympathize with them.

09-09-2018, 08:19 AM   #863
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
Any brand has to hold its own against the competition despite its vaulted history. Just ask Nikon.
And in your opinion Pentax isn't doing that?
Because all that would be would be an opinion, which leads to the next question, what is your expertise that qualifies you to hold such an opinion?

Last edited by normhead; 09-09-2018 at 08:25 AM.
09-09-2018, 08:24 AM   #864
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
And in your opinion Pentax isn't doing that?
Because all that would be would be an opinion, which leads to the next question, what is your expertise that qualifies you toehold such an opinion?
This is a public forum where one of the express reasons for it's existence is to communicate with other people and, as a result, share opinions. This includes opinions we don't agree with. Unless you are counting your opinions as something beyond mere opinion.
09-09-2018, 08:33 AM - 2 Likes   #865
Pentaxian

This is a public forum where one of the express reasons for it's existence is to communicate with other people and, as a result, share opinions. Unless you are counting your opinions as something beyond mere opinion.
And if you express an opinion on a public forum, people have the right to question how you know what you know. We have the right to try and distinguish between opinions formed through some analysis we don't know about, or is just some guy talking off the top of his head.

The fact that it's public forum in no way means people don't have the right to try and evaluate any opinion you might offer.

But just for future reference me...

I know It's public forum.
I like it when people share opinions.
I like it when people offer an explanation as to why they think what they do.
All is fair on a public forum.

It helps me construct an ignore list. It's a public forum, but I get to decide who I read.. I'd hate to just put this guy on the ignore list (as you are) if he isn't just another one of those who is consistently negative in his thought for no apparent reason.

I gave him a chance to explain. But I'm guessing he'll be ignored.

I tend to enjoy people who tell me how much they enjoy their gear even if it's not Pentax gear, and ignore those who just want to complain.

Last edited by normhead; 09-09-2018 at 08:43 AM.
09-09-2018, 09:12 AM - 4 Likes   #866
Pentaxian

I can understand the frustration of some who are still waiting for the successor to arrive. It is well past due and I can sympathize with them.
That was what my point addresses. Things come out when they come out. Those who expect it to come out sooner than it does are frustrated. When it is due is subjective so it really can't be past due. All one can say is I/we expect it and it's not here yet. That's fine but that's on oneself. Get frustrated but not at pentax but with one's own expectations not agreeing with reality.
09-09-2018, 09:28 AM   #867
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is precisely camera manufacturers sole purpose. If they don't have customers interested and buying their products, they don't have a company.
Dang and I thought all along that their sole purpose was to make great cameras? Show you what I know!
09-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #868
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That was what my point addresses. Things come out when they come out. Those who expect it to come out sooner than it does are frustrated. When it is due is subjective so it really can't be past due. All one can say is I/we expect it and it's not here yet. That's fine but that's on oneself. Get frustrated but not at pentax but with one's own expectations not agreeing with reality.
Well said!
09-09-2018, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #869
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think that a K-3 II replacement is overdue for several reasons:
  • The K-3 II is discontinued.
  • The KP is acknowledged by Pentax to not be the replacement.
  • The KP is better in certain areas than the K-3 II.
09-09-2018, 09:33 AM - 2 Likes   #870
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I'd very much like a lighter UWA zoom for sure. I'd rather have a f4 UWA zoom and a fast prime for stars when I need it, than lug my 15-30 with me on hikes, however, as I'm out of options I just do that anyway. And I hate the 150mm filters, I'm constantly scared ill drop it)
That is an easy one to solve: Laowa 12mm F2.8. Very small and takes 95mm screw in filters.

---------- Post added 9th Sep 2018 at 18:36 ----------

+1

Can't be argued with (IF your old enough to accept responsibility for your life. Otherwise the world is full of dumb people, except one: you. ).
Closed Thread