Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2018, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #1066
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
From the interview with Ricoh/Pentax from CP+ 2018, march, published here on Pentax forums:"....we are now starting to develop a new DSL which can be positioned as a successor to the K3 series...."
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
So what you are saying is they only STARTED when he mentioned it in the interview? I listened to the interview and also read what Adam wrote in his report, "Given that the Pentax K-3 (APS-C flagship) line was launched over 4 years ago, we also asked about plans for a successor to the K-3 II. Ricoh confirmed that such a model is now being developed, and that the KP is in fact not going to be positioned as the most advanced APS-C model. We can only speculate about a concrete release date.". So it is my contention that we really don't know exactly what the gentleman meant by "Now Starting".
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Indeed. Could have been a year prior, 6 months prior, or the day before the interview.
The video interview was clear, as Chris Mak says, but we probably should be careful in taking his words too literally, as it was also clear to me that he was a hesitant English speaker, and “develop” could refer to a concept, a detail design or a pre-production design review. I hope it’s the latter, but I wouldn’t bet too much on that hope, given the pace at which things seem to be moving within the Pentax division.

09-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #1067
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
So which should carry more weight - the man's actual words, or Adam's interpretation of them?
Whichever it is, I think Ricoh will keep us guessing until they reveal their next camera.
09-11-2018, 10:12 PM - 2 Likes   #1068

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
So which should carry more weight - the man's actual words, or Adam's interpretation of them?
You should also note culture difference.
In European and American corporation culture when we say "we almost have it, just some final tests are needed" it means CEO has decided to do it, engineers might not even know it yet, in Asian culture when they say "we've just started" means already know everything, just final tests are needed.
Of course that is joke, but culture differences are really big and you should also consider it.
09-11-2018, 11:33 PM   #1069
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The video interview was clear, as Chris Mak says, but we probably should be careful in taking his words too literally, as it was also clear to me that he was a hesitant English speaker, and “develop” could refer to a concept, a detail design or a pre-production design review. I hope it’s the latter, but I wouldn’t bet too much on that hope, given the pace at which things seem to be moving within the Pentax division.
Right. What we should be especially careful about is interpreting his words according to our wishes.

As I said to Chris on the other forum, what we're hearing is actually a translation - Mr. Arai's; and he's not a professional translator. The exact wording, in our interpretation, might not be an accurate reflection of reality.

OTOH we know they were "researching" the camera since at least the beginning of 2017, whatever that means.

09-12-2018, 12:15 AM   #1070
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
OTOH we know they were "researching" the camera since at least the beginning of 2017, whatever that means.
Now add +3 years concept-to-market time to 01/2017.
09-12-2018, 12:19 AM   #1071
Pentaxian

What makes you say 01/2017?
09-12-2018, 01:08 AM   #1072
Pentaxian

You wrote "beginning of 2017".

09-12-2018, 01:47 AM   #1073
Pentaxian

Just gimme that 11-18mm 2.8, and I'm good.
09-12-2018, 01:49 AM - 3 Likes   #1074
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Whichever it is, I think Ricoh will keep us guessing until they reveal their next camera.
And when that day comes, it will be too little, too late
09-12-2018, 01:56 AM   #1075
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
Nah - I refuse to believe that!
09-12-2018, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #1076
Pentaxian

Whatever happened to the future is bright? Well never trust a person who is paid to be enthusiastic about a product
09-12-2018, 02:36 AM - 1 Like   #1077
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think we need to be honest about a K3 II sequel. The issue is that it needs to have improvements in specifications that have not been strong points of Pentax to this point. Tracking auto focus, video, and frame rates all come to mind. I think when people brought up a K3 II sequel they had sort of a concept that Pentax could just slap an accelerator chip on a K3 II, choose a new sensor from Sony, maybe add a tilt screen to the back and tweak the software to make auto focus better and they would be done. But it isn't that easy and they are probably needing a new processing engine to make things work.

The R and D isn't wasted and will likely be used on several platforms -- the K1 II sequel, the 645Z sequel as well, but clearly it is taking time to have things come together with a package that they think will sell in the current marketplace.
09-12-2018, 02:41 AM   #1078
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Asahiman on dpreview:

So we will see (not on Photokina probably) two successors to the K-1.
Naaa, I think that "2 classes" could be related to lenses. If it's related to cameras we will see another FF with less specs than K-1, not other two new cameras.
09-12-2018, 03:14 AM   #1079
Veteran Member

Anyway, to save me trawling all through this thread and going back to the original title .....

What exactly have Ricoh confirmed ?

---------- Post added 09-12-2018 at 11:16 AM ----------

Well that didn't take long did it.
09-12-2018, 03:18 AM - 1 Like   #1080
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Naaa, I think that "2 classes" could be related to lenses. If it's related to cameras we will see another FF with less specs than K-1, not other two new cameras.
A true successor to the K-1 (instead of just a minor update) The K-1 is already at a pretty low price point. It leaves little room for a cheaper model. Two camera's with one at the K-1 price point and one more like $3000+ aiming for the D850. Only possible when Ricoh gets a handle on autofocus. It must be as good as the D850's. The camera at the K-1 (II) price point around $2000 will have to compete with the likes of Sony A7 III and Nikon Z6 en Nikon D750. So a 24mp sensor and a lot faster. 8fps at least and the same excellent AF. They can share the same body, which would make development a lot cheaper.
Closed Thread