Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
What exactly have Ricoh confirmed ?
Here, Here, I second that

09-12-2018, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #1082
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
The video interview was clear, as Chris Mak says, but we probably should be careful in taking his words too literally, as it was also clear to me that he was a hesitant English speaker, and “develop” could refer to a concept, a detail design or a pre-production design review. I hope it’s the latter, but I wouldn’t bet too much on that hope, given the pace at which things seem to be moving within the Pentax division.
More important than the exact meaning of the Ricoh/Pentax rep.'s words in the interview would be what is happening in the camera and lenses market as a whole. It is not just at Pentax that APSC is taking a back ride. Sony heavily prioritized the FE mount and Canon users are still waiting for a 7DmkIII, only to see a whole new Canon eos R system get a lot of love with a FF body and 4 new lenses. What should 7DmkII users actually expect after seeing their last update in 2014? Nikon released a D500, but will there even be a D500mkII, or will the Z FF cameras take over for those wanting a compact system?
APSC is no longer what it was 5 years ago, when the K3 impressed.
I simply don't take it as a given that Pentax will nurture APSC, when they obviously see much more potential in FF at the moment and are looking to the future. It's nice that the Pentax rep. said that they were "now starting to develop" a DSL to be positioned as a K3 successor, but when I hear Asahiman stating that the deveoping power is now going to FF, I am not that surprised. The same is going on at Sony, Canon and Nikon, and then the mirrorless FF platform in particular. Even 4/3 Panasonic is jumping aboard FF.
Without doubt Ricoh will not be blind to what is going on presently. No body will ever materialize if a companies management sees no potential. Ricoh sees potential in FF, but do they see potential in APSC?

Chris
09-12-2018, 03:54 AM   #1083
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
More important than the exact meaning of the Ricoh/Pentax rep.'s words in the interview would be what is happening in the camera and lenses market as a whole. It is not just at Pentax that APSC is taking a back ride. Sony heavily prioritized the FE mount and Canon users are still waiting for a 7DmkIII, only to see a whole new Canon eos R system get a lot of love with a FF body and 4 new lenses. What should 7DmkII users actually expect after seeing their last update in 2014? Nikon released a D500, but will there even be a D500mkII, or will the Z FF cameras take over for those wanting a compact system?
APSC is no longer what it was 5 years ago, when the K3 impressed.
I simply don't take it as a given that Pentax will nurture APSC, when they obviously see much more potential in FF at the moment and are looking to the future. It's nice that the Pentax rep. said that they were "now starting to develop" a DSL to be positioned as a K3 successor, but when I hear Asahiman stating that the deveoping power is now going to FF, I am not that surprised. The same is going on at Sony, Canon and Nikon, and then the mirrorless FF platform in particular. Even 4/3 Panasonic is jumping aboard FF.
Without doubt Ricoh will not be blind to what is going on presently. No body will ever materialize if a companies management sees no potential. Ricoh sees potential in FF, but do they see potential in APSC?

Chris
I agree. Don't forget that the D850 is actually a D500 when used in crop mode. I don't know if Pentax would ever made such a camera to compete with D850 (which means top notch AF, high FPS and buffer rate) on a 45+ Mpxl sensor and a $3500+ price tag but the switch to higher end more expensive cameras (equipment in general) aimed at enthusiast photographers and pros is obvious across the market. If I was shooting Nikon I would buy the D850 over the D500 because it combines the advantages of a great FF with characteristics of a great crop camera. It is more expensive but actually you buy two cameras in one body!
09-12-2018, 03:54 AM   #1084
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I simply don't take it as a given that Pentax will nurture APSC, when they obviously see much more potential in FF at the moment and are looking to the future.
The market shifted to higher priced products with prices about twice the prices of 5 -10 years ago, a higher price is easier to justify with full frame. Lot of people stick with aps-c keeping in mind the price they paid for it some years ago, and looking forward to newer model similarly priced to what they paid years ago, inflation being, that's not going to happen.

---------- Post added 12-09-18 at 13:00 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
it combines the advantages of a great FF with characteristics of a great crop camera. It is more expensive but actually you buy two cameras in one body!
Agreed, and it's very convenient to be able to switch to crop mode and get higher FPS, that was the case for the D810, that is the case for the K1, but not for the D850 FPS is the same for FF and crop.

09-12-2018, 04:17 AM   #1085
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
we will see another FF with less specs than K-1,
Yes, Ive head that rumour too/ K- 0.5
09-12-2018, 05:00 AM   #1086
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
If I was shooting Nikon I would buy the D850 over the D500 because it combines the advantages of a great FF with characteristics of a great crop camera.
From what I hear this is exactly what happened. These narrow-minded snapshot cameras for relatively high price now have a hard life against the image quality flagships.

The D500 does seem to sell quite poorly after the advent of the D850.

Also Sony's low res snapshot toy A9 seems to be lying like lead on the shelves.

For both cameras there is an oversupply of used ones with little demand and used prices are already low (1000 EUR for D500 - was 2330 EUR new, 2600 EUR for A9 - was 5300 EUR new).
09-12-2018, 05:00 AM   #1087
Pentaxian

Anyway, to save me trawling all through this thread and going back to the original title .....

What exactly have Ricoh confirmed ?.
Post #1 in this thread starts
QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Hi all .

I have very trusted word today that Ricoh will definitely announce something at Photokina, or before, as opposed to no announcement of anything this year (some have been wondering, including myself).

Details have to wait, but its confirmed for sure. You know it's not going to be some lame point and shoot camera either. I was very happy to confirm that today.
So we should get some real news in the next week or two.

09-12-2018, 05:04 AM   #1088
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
You could just as easily use the DA*300/4 instead of the Tamron 300/2.8 and save a lot of weight and cost.
Mark, with all due respect, no I couldn't, sometimes you just don't know about these things if you aren't doing it yourself, it's not an intellectual exercise.

Why do I use 2.8 lenses?
A 300 2.8 matched with the 1.7x AF Adapter gives me 510mm ƒ4.5.

Look up with a 500 ƒ4 or the Sigma 500 ƒ4.5 costs and the weight of them, and you'll understand why that is a completely ridiculous suggestion,
09-12-2018, 05:14 AM   #1089
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
And when that day comes, it will be too little, too late
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Nah - I refuse to believe that!
In my case it is absolutely true. The money I was saving for a new camera has been spent already, and it wasn't on a Pentax. I hope for their sake I'm the only one, but I doubt I am.
09-12-2018, 05:16 AM   #1090
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
And when that day comes, it will be too little, too late
You shouldn't fire up naysayers like that, they don't understand sarcasm.
09-12-2018, 05:22 AM   #1091
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
In my case it is absolutely true. The money I was saving for a new camera has been spent already, and it wasn't on a Pentax. I hope for their sake I'm the only one, but I doubt I am.
I'm still waiting and saving for something. Despite Dark Image Syndrome first photo each day, my K-30 is still getting the job done, so I'm under no compulsion to do something
09-12-2018, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #1092
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Mark, with all due respect, no I couldn't, sometimes you just don't know about these things if you aren't doing it yourself, it's not an intellectual exercise.

Why do I use 2.8 lenses?
A 300 2.8 matched with the 1.7x AF Adapter gives me 510mm ƒ4.5.

Look up with a 500 ƒ4 or the Sigma 500 ƒ4.5 costs and the weight of them, and you'll understand why that is a completely ridiculous suggestion,
I honestly don't understand why 510/5.7 on FF is unacceptable when 340/4.5 on APS-C is OK, but you're correct that I'm not doing it myself. My apologies.
09-12-2018, 05:39 AM   #1093
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Whatever happened to the future is bright? Well never trust a person who is paid to be enthusiastic about a product
I still think they have a future but thing moves too slowly for pros. The bright future was related to the new primes..but they didn't move as fast as first said there either.
09-12-2018, 05:40 AM   #1094

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
It looks no worse on a KP than any other camera.

The idea that cameras are released in a series from cheap/bad to flagship/good is odd to me. A sports flagship isn't a landscape flagship isn't a street flagship. (simplified take) The 11-18 isn't a sports lens. the KP is arguably the best landscape APSC pentax has produced? Why mount the 11-18 on a sports/wildlife flagship, it makes no sense.
kp landscapes; meaouwwwww. Oh and cats.
09-12-2018, 05:41 AM   #1095
Veteran Member

AWell that didn't take long did it.
I think you take this a bit more negative then the meaning from me was. I just mean that they are moving to slowly compared to others. There will be a couple of WOW's at Photokina. But Ricoh is not one of them..If they havent kept something secret for everyone
Closed Thread