Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #1126
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I Agree
When a new camera comes out and you check it against the K-3 (II) with the dpr comparison tool I just go... nope still the best. As mainly a ISO 100 guy with semi frequent pixelshift usage there's nothing yet that compares favourable.

09-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #1127
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
When a new camera comes out and you check it against the K-3 (II) with the dpr comparison tool I just go... nope still the best. As mainly a ISO 100 guy with semi frequent pixelshift usage there's nothing yet that compares favourable.
Sure the K3II is far from being obsolete.
09-12-2018, 10:32 AM - 3 Likes   #1128
Pentaxian

Well, only 14 more days to Photokina.

While we're at it, we're also about 5 months & a few days away from CP+. That would be the next hopeful event. Hahaha!
09-12-2018, 10:37 AM - 2 Likes   #1129
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Its all perspective

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
We will see very soon, since it starts on the 26th. It could only be a small thing and not any major product. A GRIII is also a small thing.....measured in sales.
To me a GR announcement is a big thing. But again, its all perspective.

---------- Post added 09-12-2018 at 10:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
The K3 was and is a fine camera. And yes, it is all about perspective. Personally, I have been waiting for years now for Pentax to come up with a more refined and reliable Autofocus module so I would not have these frequent missed oportunities with my DA560. I know the AF system through and through by know, and only with seconds of pampering will I ever be sure of spot on focus. That time is just not always there with birding. Other people may have different reasons for finding the K3 dated and long overdue for replacement. Others may happily shoot the K3 for another 5 years before feeling it is time for a replacement.
One thing is for sure though: a camera not released sells poorly, especially when there is no replacement available....

Chris
In that Pentax needs to continue to improve its AF module. That said, I do notice a difference in tracking improvements and accuracy between the K3 and K3II. But I think what I'm reading from you is, that you'd like to have near high level Canon/Nikon tracking/accuracy. AF modules, must not be cheap or easy to improve.

09-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #1130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
That said, I do notice a difference in tracking improvements and accuracy between the K3 and K3II.
I saw none and I realised this after I bought K-3 II as soon it was released, without testing it. I skipped K3 and in the press release of K-3 II Ricoh said that af is improved. It was the only reason I bought K-3 II over K3 as an upgrade from K-5 II. After 4 months of testing K-3 II and my friend's K3, I realised that I paid more money for features that I didn't cared about, such as pixel shift.
09-12-2018, 11:33 AM   #1131
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Makes sense to me All that is important is gettin' the job done
09-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #1132
Veteran Member

Hi all .

I have very trusted word today that Ricoh will definitely announce something at Photokina, or before, as opposed to no announcement of anything this year (some have been wondering, including myself).

Details have to wait, but its confirmed for sure. You know it's not going to be some lame point and shoot camera either. I was very happy to confirm that today. There is speculation on what is to be announced since April, but, I'm not so sure that's going to be all....

So look forward to Photokina (or anytime till then) for Ricoh/Pentax who have been pretty quiet since April. To me, that's good news and I wanted to share it here first because I care about the lot of you and like this website a lot.

p.s. Loving the K70 and the 55-300mm PLM. LOVING IT. Writing and photographing diligently...!

-Carl
With Nikon and Canon getting on the mirrorless bandwagon, I'm going to wager Pentax is following suite.

09-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #1133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
IMO, these two sentences reveal the background of the majority of your comments. In fact, "photography and camera equipment" is an open-ended topic, anyone can present it in a positive way or negative way depending on what argument is being brought forward and what not.
I don't understand what you're trying to tell me here, could you rephrase it?
09-12-2018, 12:17 PM   #1134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The K-3 is still one of the finest APS DSLRs out there.
hmm well KP fine for me but K3 Line has to continue! yess
09-12-2018, 12:40 PM   #1135
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
In my case it is absolutely true. The money I was saving for a new camera has been spent already, and it wasn't on a Pentax. I hope for their sake I'm the only one, but I doubt I am.
Have faith Mark!
09-12-2018, 12:48 PM - 7 Likes   #1136
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Ransom Quote
I don't understand what you're trying to tell me here, could you rephrase it?
If you have a pre-conceived positive idea of a camera brand, you are going to get the most out of it, and you tell yourself that Pentax is not good you are never going to make the most out of any Pentax setup. It all starts in the mind, only a very small part is true if true at all. Some people are going to have talent and take amazing photographs with poor equipment, much less equipment than what Pentax has in catalog. Other people will know all the specifications, will have read all the reviews, will own the camera from the award winning camera brand, but their photographs will not trigger a single emotion, mostly boring without any interest. My point was, in all of your comments, sadness transpire, this is not going to get you any happy photo shooting, no matter how many times you switch brands, never, ever.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-12-2018 at 12:54 PM.
09-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #1137
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Truth bomb :)

If you have a pre-conceived positive idea of a camera brand, you are going to get the most out of it, and you tell yourself that Pentax is not good you are never going to make the most out of any Pentax setup. It all starts in the mind, only a very small part is true if true at all. Some people are going to have talent and take amazing photographs with poor equipment, much less equipment than what Pentax has in catalog. Other people will know all the specifications, will have read all the reviews, will own the camera from the award winning camera brand, but their photographs will not trigger a single emotion, mostly boring without any interest. My point was, in all of your comments, sadness transpire, this is not going to get you any happy photo shooting, no matter how many times you switch brands, never, ever.
Double thumbs up here.
09-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #1138
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...pre-conceived positive idea ... . It all starts in the mind... . much less equipment than what Pentax has in catalog... . Some people are going to have talent ....
Man, wise words here. (Regarding positive mindset / I didn't follow the discussion with Mark here TLDR.) I may add the words ambition and motivation to the "talent" part. Some people aren't so talented than others but can still push out amazing stuff.

Last edited by sbh; 09-13-2018 at 01:15 AM.
09-12-2018, 03:40 PM - 1 Like   #1139
Veteran Member

Regarding this part of your comment "but their photographs will not trigger a single emotion, mostly boring without any interest", let me ask you something: who can say about my images or about your images that are either boring or excelent? I'm asking because I went to Paris and I stopped to see Mona Lisa painting at Louvre museum. That painting didn't trigger a single emotion to me. It was a boring painting, at most. Sure, technicaly may be without any flaws, but still, it remains boring to me.

I don't take photographs to trigger emotions for strangers on internet and social media. I take photographs that trigger emotions for me, for the ones related to me and for the ones involved in the shooting session. I have images that may be boring for every person from the entire univers, but to me and to the ones related to me those images trigger a lot of emotions because they have a story behind.

Your message is nice and motivating, but it is suited mostly to unexperienced photographers, to the ones that loves gadgets more than taking pictures and to the ones that makes compromises for different reasons.

I may have all the love for a brand, but if the camera that I love can't deliver when my nephew score his first goal because my camera decided that the player from the other team is more interesting because his shirt has more contrast, or that I couldn't get in the frame the small bird that I waited the entire day because my af was distracted by the background, then maybe choosing another brand may be the best solution. People sometimes get too much attached to a brand...
09-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #1140
mee
Veteran Member

To me a GR announcement is a big thing. But again, its all perspective.

---------- Post added 09-12-2018 at 10:41 AM ----------

In that Pentax needs to continue to improve its AF module. That said, I do notice a difference in tracking improvements and accuracy between the K3 and K3II. But I think what I'm reading from you is, that you'd like to have near high level Canon/Nikon tracking/accuracy. AF modules, must not be cheap or easy to improve.
For those who have been waiting with bated breath for YEARS for a K-3 II replacement, the GR is not a big thing. It is a no-thing.
Closed Thread