Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2018, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #1156
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I take photographs that trigger emotions for me
That is not difficult, anyone does this.

Your message is nice and motivating, but it is suited mostly to unexperienced photographers, to the ones that loves gadgets more than taking pictures and to the ones that makes compromises for different reasons.
I may have all the love for a brand, but if the camera that I love can't deliver when my nephew score his first goal because my camera decided that the player from the other team is more interesting because his shirt has more contrast,
Since you are referring to auto-focus, auto-focus of medium format cameras is even worse than the worse Pentax DSLR model in that regard. Do you think that users of medium format camera select a medium format camera because they are inexperienced?

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-12-2018 at 11:13 PM.
09-12-2018, 10:52 PM - 4 Likes   #1157
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's possibly the biggest overstatement I have read here. Respect
09-12-2018, 11:46 PM   #1158
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I can speak for myself, thank you. And even if this is true, it doesn't dismiss or discount what I've said. Quite frankly, I wouldn't be here if I wasn't interested in Pentax equipment. Once again you're focusing on the person and not the person's view (in order to try to dismiss my views).
And if could speak for yourself only and not telling people what they should think, thank you.
09-13-2018, 12:09 AM   #1159
Veteran Member

Then why photographers are more than thrilled to offer constructive criticism each time they see a image that they don't like? These days you can't post a image on Facebook without seeing at least one constructive criticism from people who think that they can improve an image by sitting on their computer and offer constructive criticism without knowing the conditions in which that image was taken.

I saw the reasons why Kenspo jumped to other brand. There were a few who knew better than him what he should have done. Why don't you offer your motivating message to Kenspo and telling him that he can do anything he wants with K1. He will probably tell you: yes, I can, but there are other cameras that can do the same thing, but faster and with less effort. And given that he is making a living from photography, he still loves Pentax, but he choosed a better camera for him.

Since you are referring to auto-focus, auto-focus of medium format cameras is even worse than the worse Pentax DSLR model in that regard. Do you think that users of medium format camera select a medium format camera because they are inexperienced?
Is this what you understood? I said that your message is a good one, but only for some categories of photographers. As long as I know that for certain type of photography my camera is not up to task, I change the camera or the brand. Or I should keep shooting with that camera only because I love some aspects of the camera and because I love the brand?

As for photographers selecting a medium format camera, how many photographers shooting with medium format cameras have you seen at sport events? Do you think that by telling to a guy who is shooting comercial stuff with a medium format camera that if he thinks positive and if he set his mind properly he can shoot fast action or bif with his camera with real success? He will tell you what I've told you. Nice motivating message, but let me grab my D5 or my 1Dx while I keep thinking positively about my medium format camera.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 09-13-2018 at 12:16 AM.
09-13-2018, 12:20 AM   #1160
Pentaxian

how many photographers shooting with medium format cameras have you seen at sport events?
Indeed, not many. Why should medium format exist then? Just go on Phase One and Fuji forums and terminate them like Pentax

---------- Post added 13-09-18 at 09:29 ----------

Do you think that by telling to a guy who is shooting comercial stuff with a medium format camera that if he thinks positive and if he set his mind properly he can shoot fast action or bif with his camera with real success?
Yes, definitely, everything contributes in the final result. Photography is an art, it's open-ended, there are many way to do it, it calls for feelings, intuition. Like every discipline, the human is factored in, and that is even more the case as you go up in mastery levels.
09-13-2018, 12:37 AM   #1161
Veteran Member

Yes, definitely, everything contributes in the final result. Photography is an art, it's open-ended, there are many way to do it, it calls for feelings, intuition. Like every discipline, the human is factored in, and that is even more the case as you go up in mastery levels.
Then why aren't you a know sport action photographer making magic with K1 so that you can be an example and an inspiration to all forum members and also to all photographers who think that they need fast shooting cameras for fast action? Again, I understood your message and it's a good one, especially for photographers who don't take time to learn their cameras and learn the technique that can help them understand their cameras. But it seems that you are not wiling to accept that gear is also a important factor, especially for the experienced or proffesional photographers.
09-13-2018, 12:44 AM   #1162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have heard very similar notions on music production forums. It isn't the tools it's the artist (that matters). After years and years of making due with freeware and low cost products, and being frustrated with the outcome, I discovered this type of thinking to be... nonsense. Once I got into commercial products, my art improved several times over easily. Because the commercial products were designed with features that aided commercial production. Sure, if you don't know how to use the gear, it doesn't matter what you use... ones output will likely still be poor (relatively speaking).
I used to tell people. only half tongue in cheek , that whenever there was an ongoing argument that couldn't be resolved, it meant that both sides were wrong ()

Here, I think that te analogy with music sheds some light on the situation - an observation originally made by Ansel Adams, though in another context. As you probably know, he likened the negative to the score and the print to the performance.

It occurs to me that part of this argument has to do with the photographer ( only serious ones in the days of film, and not all of the - now pretty much all RAW shooters and some jpeg shooters) being both composer and performer. Better equipment can have a big impact on the performance (both at the time of capture and at the post processing stage) but less impact on the visualisation of the image.

I don't think that the great photographers of the pre-auto-everything era were greatly hampered by their equipment, and the results don't show it if they felt they were. It might even have been an advantage to do more of the decision making yourself. The only areas where equipment have made a radical difference, to my mind, are areas such as sport and wildlife, where the human eye and hand are sometimes just not quick enough or the film too grainy or whatever - there really aren't many good wildlife pictures (by modern standards) pre-1980s - but there are plenty of great portraits, fashion shots, landscapes, reportage etc going way back, and I'm not convinced that a great many of them would have been any better with modern equipment. Many might have been considerably worse, as, for instance, you are tempted to leave the 'decisive moment' to your favourite of a 12 fps burst.

09-13-2018, 12:53 AM - 1 Like   #1163
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Then why aren't you a know sport action photographer making magic with K1 so that you can be an example and an inspiration to all forum members and also to all photographers who think that they need fast shooting cameras for fast action? Again, I understood your message and it's a good one, especially for photographers who don't take time to learn their cameras and learn the technique that can help them understand their cameras. But it seems that you are not wiling to accept that gear is also a important factor, especially for the experienced or proffesional photographers.
Wow! You guys! Gear is always a factor, but not as big as lot of people try to make it be. Also being pro in one field of photography does not make anyone ultimate pro of anything, just give D4 and best lens and there will be great shots kind person. Gear help but expertice in field of anything help even more. You have to know sport to be able to get best out of it. Know your public. Nature photography it is the same. Othervise there are just nice pictures of animals, with out more context, or no animals at all. Gear help you to get there. But to be great photographer it takes more. And this goes to almost everything.
09-13-2018, 01:21 AM   #1164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Wow! You guys! Gear is always a factor, but not as big as lot of people try to make it be. Also being pro in one field of photography does not make anyone ultimate pro of anything, just give D4 and best lens and there will be great shots kind person. Gear help but expertice in field of anything help even more. You have to know sport to be able to get best out of it. Know your public. Nature photography it is the same. Othervise there are just nice pictures of animals, with out more context, or no animals at all. Gear help you to get there. But to be great photographer it takes more. And this goes to almost everything.
Never argued with this "Gear help you to get there. But to be great photographer it takes more. And this goes to almost everything." I will never will argue this. All I said is that positive thinking and technique is not going to help you always to get a shot and experienced or pro photographers know this.
09-13-2018, 01:29 AM - 1 Like   #1165
Pentaxian

All I said is that positive thinking and technique is not going to help you always to get a shot and experienced or pro photographers know this.
Please refer to Karl Taylor. Karl Taylor is good, he is a professional, you like him, you said it yourself. Karl is talking about you in that video.
. Please watch his video (feel free to watch it as many times as needed to that it sticks in your head) and read your comment again.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-13-2018 at 01:37 AM.
09-13-2018, 01:32 AM   #1166
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Never argued with this "Gear help you to get there. But to be great photographer it takes more. And this goes to almost everything." I will never will argue this. All I said is that positive thinking and technique is not going to help you always to get a shot and experienced or pro photographers know this.
Hi Dan, I photographed the CORRIDA at Arles in Madrid and other venues with the old 645 and mostly 300mm f4 not at all easy but I loved it, I have thousands of pics, Ian
09-13-2018, 01:42 AM - 2 Likes   #1167
Veteran Member

I hope one day the title of the thread will matter.
09-13-2018, 01:46 AM   #1168
Pentaxian

so no new rumors?
09-13-2018, 01:57 AM - 1 Like   #1169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The K-3 is still one of the finest APS DSLRs out there.
Agred, but not in low light.
If there is a risk of low light, I will take K5IIs instead.
But now that I have K1 and recently bought a KP so. ....

---------- Post added 09-13-2018 at 11:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Well, only 14 more days to Photokina.

While we're at it, we're also about 5 months & a few days away from CP+. That would be the next hopeful event. Hahaha!
Or less than 8 months to the next Photkina.
09-13-2018, 02:29 AM   #1170
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can speak for myself, thank you. And even if this is true, it doesn't dismiss or discount what I've said. Quite frankly, I wouldn't be here if I wasn't interested in Pentax equipment. Once again you're focusing on the person and not the person's view (in order to try to dismiss my views).
My comment is purely factual, not a statement about your motives or anything else. Not sure why you would take offense at that.
Closed Thread