Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2018, 03:02 AM   #1171
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Karl Taylor is good,
At wasting peoples time, post something informative rather than ranting know it all stuff.(i know he is your hero but his opinion means zero,like yours or mine)

09-13-2018, 04:37 AM - 1 Like   #1172
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The K-3 is still one of the finest APS DSLRs out there.
Well since there are only 3 DSLR makers and a direct competition means basically other high-end APSC DSLRs, to be "one of the best" can also mean 3rd, i.e. the worst. Not to mention the K-3 wasn´t an improvement in all aspects (for example it was an actual downgrade as regards the sensor, it´s dynamic range and low light ISO).

Nobody argues that the K-3 II is a great camera capable of producing stunning pictures, but the same can be said about the K-5 IIs or the older K-5. It is not about a camera suddenly loosing the capability of taking pictures, it´s about innovation and progress (and of course revenues). The thing is, the competition has moved on, while Pentax is staying still. The K-3 II was introduced in 2015, when there was e.g. Nikon D7200 (itself a stunning camera) or Canon 70D. Since that time Canon came up with D80 and Nikon with D7500 and D500, and the D80 is rumoured to get a successor soon (at Photokina?). So during the time the competition introduces 2 new cameras Pentaxians still have to make do with a 2015 model. And this model is already discontinued.

What is more, it is not only the users who suffer, but also Ricoh suffers since it looses possible revenues (in 2 ways: not having a new product for sale, and also by loosing customers that couldnt wait and switched to other brands). Yes, we can still use the K-3 for great pictures, but this is not the way to survive in the competing market.
09-13-2018, 05:02 AM   #1173
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's not as if the D7500 wasn't any downgrade either. Talk about a crippled ca, rather.
09-13-2018, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #1174
Veteran Member

Speaking of photokina, i have won a day ticket (thank you Pentax Germany) but my plans change, and it is impossible for me to go. Bottom line is i'm giving it away.

If any of you is interested, send me a PM (if you are 100% certain you will go)

09-13-2018, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #1175
Veteran Member

Please refer to Karl Taylor. Karl Taylor is good, he is a professional, you like him, you said it yourself. Karl is talking about you in that video. Is this ridiculous DSLR photography misconception holding you back too? - Photography Rants ? - YouTube . Please watch his video (feel free to watch it as many times as needed to that it sticks in your head) and read your comment again.
You still didn't get it... What Karl Taylor said regarding the medium format camera that he is using? Is business efficiency. What I said each and every time? I said that you can take any kind of images with the gear released these days, but if you want a proper camera for action, a proper camera that your clients expect from you to use (Karl Taylor has clients that want the results taken with medium format cameras and they pay the price), then you buy a proper camera. You don't work 2 or 3 times more to get the job done each and every time just because you have the knowledge and the experience that helps you to get the job done.

Karl Taylor took a very good product shot using a basic camera and Ikea lamps. He took that shot just for making a point that you can take great images if you know what you are doing. It was somehow the same message you wanted to promote and I told you I don't argue that, especially when we are talking about guys who think that buying K1 II will make them better photographers than they were before, when they were using K1.

But when you do know what you are doing and when you are in control, not the camera, you invest in proper gear for the type of photography you approach. Karl Taylor opted for Hasselbald and Broncolor lights because he new that it will give him better results with less work than a D850 and Godox lights. Kenspo opted to shoot with a camera from a different brand not because he doesn't love Pentax or he can't get great images with K1. He changed the boat because he found another camera from another manufacturer that can do the same job, but faster.

That being said, I don't have to be a high end photographer to use proper tools for what I like to shoot.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 09-13-2018 at 06:54 AM.
09-13-2018, 06:13 AM   #1176
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
It's not as if the D7500 wasn't any downgrade either. Talk about a crippled ca, rather.
Nikon introduced D500 as a new, higher-positioned flagship APSC, so they needed to differenciate the D7500 a little. The worse for Pentax, since the D7xxx line competes with K-3 and the D500 is one level higher (you cannot deny that K-3 II lags behind the D500 in almost all aspects). So Ricoh competes with 3 years old K-3 II (which itself was only a slight improvement over K-3 from 2013), whereas the competition has introduced newer cameras (one or even two).

And most importantly, the focus of the whole photo industry is shifting towards mirrorless, where Ricoh not only has nothing to offer, but it even has no plans to (re)enter the segment at all.
09-13-2018, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #1177
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k1man Quote
Hi Dan, I photographed the CORRIDA at Arles in Madrid and other venues with the old 645 and mostly 300mm f4 not at all easy but I loved it, I have thousands of pics, Ian
I'm glad and I'm sure you have images that you are proud of. But if you will have to shoot the CORRIDA and other action photography for a living or for your personal use, you would still use Pentax 645 or you would invest in a action oriented camera? That's what I was talking about. If I know that I have a good technique, if I know that I have a lot of experience in shooting landscapes (just a random example), do I have to use a D5 because I love the camera and the brand or I go and buy a D850, or better, 2 Pentax K1 cameras with the same money, knowing that I can get the same or better results than using a D5?

How can I convince Biz Engineer or Rondec to buy a Canon 6D or a Nikon D5 for landscapes by offering them motivating messages like: think positive, you can get exceptional results with D5 if you are shooting landscape and if you concentrate in getting the most of that camera you will be amazed of the results, etc. knowing that there are better cameras for landscapes that can make their task easier by shooting with them, like K1 for example?

Because at this moment, Biz Engineer is pushing the discussion as if I'm a guy who buys cameras by looking at specs and also he try to present me as a guy who can't take a image unless I have a certain camera. Well, that's completly not true. I said all over this forum that I can take any kind of images with any kind of gear, but if I have to choose (and for God sake, there are lots of cameras to choose from thsese days), I will always pick the camera which is more suited for a certain type of photography rather than work harder to get the same job with a camera which may not be ideal for a particular shooting.

09-13-2018, 06:56 AM   #1178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
You still didn't get it... What Karl Taylor said regarding the medium format camera that he is using? Is business efficiency. What I said each and every time? I said that you can take any kind of images with the gear released these days, but if you want a proper camera for action, a proper camera that your clients expect from you to use (Karl Taylor has clients that want the results taken with medium format cameras and they pay the price), then you buy a proper camera. You don't work 2 or 3 times more to get the job done each and every time just because you have the knowledge and the experience that helps you to get the job done.Karl Taylor took a very good product shot using a basic camera and Ikea lamps. He took that shot just for making a point that you can take great images if you know what you are doing. It was somehow the same message you wanted to promote and I told you I don't argue that, especially when we are talking about guys who think that buying K1 II will make them better photographers than they were before, when they were using K1.But when you do know what you are doing and when you are in control, not the camera, you invest in proper gear for the type of photography you approach. Karl Taylor opted for Hasselbald and Broncolor lights because he new that it will give him better results with less work than a D850 and Godox lights. Kenspo opted to shoot with a camera from a different brand not because he doesn't love Pentax or he can't get great images with K1. He change the boat because he found another camera from another manufacturer that can do the same job, but faster.That being said, I don't have to be a high end photographer to use proper tools for what I like to shoot.
I don't read this. IMO you got lost into argumentation. You quoted my reply of Mark Ransom (he understood and provided a clear answer), getting off topic in various directions: Positive attitude about photography thing has nothing to do with taking photographs, technique and camera will do it; about sharing emotions via photographs is not valid because of why you don't care about creating emotions from image viewer's standpoint; and pulled out the thing about auto-focus tracking performance as if auto-focus was the must have in general; then you wipe again the reason for existence of medium format. BTW, Mark Ransom was not concerned about auto-focus tracking performance, his main concern was about viability of Pentax in the future. And now you are developing around auto-focus tracking and sport type of shooting. You talked about Karl Taylor as a reference in the past, and now you don't watch his video you say gear does matter, he says the opposite. Never mind.
09-13-2018, 07:36 AM   #1179
Veteran Member

I don't read this. IMO you got lost into argumentation. You quoted my reply of Mark Ransom (he understood and provided a clear answer), getting off topic in various directions: Positive attitude about photography thing has nothing to do with taking photographs, technique and camera will do it; about sharing emotions via photographs is not valid because of why you don't care about creating emotions from image viewer's standpoint; and pulled out the thing about auto-focus tracking performance as if auto-focus was the must have in general; then you wipe again the reason for existence of medium format. BTW, Mark Ransom was not concerned about auto-focus tracking performance, his main concern was about viability of Pentax in the future. And now you are developing around auto-focus tracking and sport type of shooting.
Then for God sake, why do you shoot with K1? Why don't you use a K-5 II with some old lenses? I gave you examples from action photography, but in the same time there can be examples from landscape photography. Why don't you use a 6D for example instead of K1? After all, both are full frame cameras, 6D is 600$ cheaper at B&H, you have f4 lenses which are cheaper and lighter than f2.8 lenses, etc. And it fits right on with your message.

I thought you understood the fact that I agreed with your message as a general one and it's a good message for photographers preocupated with specs rather than shooting, or for photographers that want the latest camera released just for making a statement, etc. But you're wasting my time by trying to make me or any other photographer who:
- choose a certain camera knowing that it can be better for what we want to shoot than other cameras
- want certain features on the upcoming cameras because we know that those features can give us less work (like eye af for example, which I really love)

guilty for wanting proper gear. If Kenspo said that he can't work with the slow buffer of K1 in some circumstances, people sugested him to shoot JPEG because the buffer will clear faster. For real? This is an advice that you will give to a Pro photographer? If others say that can't shoot action with K1 as good as they can with 1Dx or D5, some will say think positive and learn a proper technique. And then they will show you some random images with birds in flight. I can go out with K-7 tomorow, shoot 20.000 images and post here 100 BIF images trying to convince others that you can get great images if you know what you are doing. No one will know that maybe I've taken 500 images or 1000 images to get those 100 shots.

So, for the last time, I do agree with your general message, but up to a point.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 09-13-2018 at 07:49 AM.
09-13-2018, 07:38 AM   #1180
Pentaxian

To get back on topic: the following was posted five days ago by Carl Garrard a.k.a. Rush2112 on Pentax Forums (the OP of this thread) a.k.a. cgarrard over there:

'As far as Ricoh/Pentax, all I know is that from the date of my post on PF and subsequently on PC, they will be making an announcement. That as opposed to no announcement this year at all. Which, is something, even if light on details. I felt that was newsworthy considering some concern about Ricoh being "quiet" and, I was allowed to say that much, or it wouldn't have said to me. The source is excellent.'

Source: No Ricoh/Pentax announcement on media day?: Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
09-13-2018, 07:39 AM   #1181
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ok... so, people! We have over 1000 posts in this thread. What’s the conclusion here? What confirmation do we have or are waiting for?
09-13-2018, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #1182
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
To get back on topic: the following was posted five days ago by Carl Garrard a.k.a. Rush2112 on Pentax Forums (the OP of this thread) a.k.a. cgarrard over there:

'As far as Ricoh/Pentax, all I know is that from the date of my post on PF and subsequently on PC, they will be making an announcement. That as opposed to no announcement this year at all. Which, is something, even if light on details. I felt that was newsworthy considering some concern about Ricoh being "quiet" and, I was allowed to say that much, or it wouldn't have said to me. The source is excellent.'

Source: No Ricoh/Pentax announcement on media day?: Ricoh Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Ok... so, people! We have over 1000 posts in this thread. What’s the conclusion here? What confirmation do we have or are waiting for?
Nothing to work on. There is only one source talking about this, and that is the opener for this thread. So no other source came across with some information.

So basicly take a deep breath. ......and hold that until september 25th is gone.
09-13-2018, 07:48 AM   #1183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Nothing to work on. There is only one source talking about this, and that is the opener for this thread. So no other source came across with some information.

So basicly take a deep breath. ......and hold that until september 25th is gone.
or until an announcement is made before then.
09-13-2018, 07:54 AM   #1184
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
or until an announcement is made before then.
Well this thread started at august 28th. So we are now 16 days further......and only 12 days before Photokina press day. ......

Maybe they show the mock-up 3D-printed d-fa*85mm under glass.....
09-13-2018, 07:54 AM   #1185
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Conclusion? That Ricoh is gambling with the loyalty of its fan-base? Stretching their patience too much? Making some less patient Pentaxians leave?
Actually I never understood the attitude of Pentax/Ricoh management - being tight-liped as regards their future plans. As long as I remember it corretly from economy lectures, expectations are an important economical factor, they move the whole stock exchange business or can burry a company. And when the silence of the company confirms worries of customers that there is nothing interesting to expect, it can cause direct economical damage to the company (e.g. people switching to other brands because of seeing no future: "Is there goint to be something new at Photokina? Or do we have to wait untill CP+? Is there a reason to stay with Pentax?"). IMO what Pentax needs is being open with their future plans, so that people can have something to look forward to. Speculations like this whole thread do more damage than help.

---------- Post added 09-13-18 at 05:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Maybe they show the mock-up 3D-printed d-fa*85mm under glass.....
Well, next to the bunch of attention-grabbing novelties from Canon (FF mirrorless, brand new system and 4 new lenses), Nikon (FF ML) or Panasonic (FF ML announcement) such an announcement from Ricoh would be covered in dust and interest nobody. Imagine that: a FF mirrorless with 4 new lenses vs. a mock-up DSLR lens... Even a brand new DLSR will not attract a lot of attention (and that is the most we can expect).

Last edited by iudex; 09-13-2018 at 08:02 AM.
Closed Thread