Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2018, 11:54 AM - 1 Like   #1216
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
So much angst about new equipment or no new equipment to come. Everyone got a working camera and a favorite lens or two? If so, energy and funds might be better spent taking a trip somewhere close by, or far away, and snapping away. Inspiration and lighting are 3/4 of any good photo. The other 1/4 is maybe the gear itself. Other than professionals dependent on the gear for their livelihoods, wants may outdistance needs. GAS can overrun creativity leaving photographic roadkill in its wake.
Im currently looking into my holiday for next year. I travel in May, with my birthsday in it. Looking into going to Paraguay. ....... Still lots of thinking, but I like what I have seen so far.

09-13-2018, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #1217
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So much angst about new equipment or no new equipment to come. Everyone got a working camera and a favorite lens or two? If so, energy and funds might be better spent taking a trip somewhere close by, or far away, and snapping away. Inspiration and lighting are 3/4 of any good photo. The other 1/4 is maybe the gear itself. Other than professionals dependent on the gear for their livelihoods, wants may outdistance needs. GAS can overrun creativity leaving photographic roadkill in its wake.
I was just about to say, Less time B*$%^ing and moaning on the forums about speculated gear replacements and more time shooting with your current gear!

I love chasing rumors for fun; but that's just it... FUN!
Anyone here looking for concrete details is bound for disappointment.

I love your post - I just took a trip to Europe with my wife for our 2-year anniversary and it was my first time leaving the USA.... I'm hooked, especially on SWITZERLAND! Incredible county! (though expensive )
Already saving for the next trip!
...Even if it is 10 years from now!
09-13-2018, 12:11 PM - 2 Likes   #1218
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I think you are a bit unfair with me here. The bright future comment was regarding all the new primes they told me was coming. And they told me the same with the new APS-C..That they suddenly change something without telling me, makes me look foolish maybe, but nothing that can be hold against me. I have only shared what im told. And when it was more my own opinion, I always wrote that it was. But luckily for you, I'll keep my info for my self in the future. Problem solved
Sincerely it was not meant as a personal attack, so if it came across as such, I do apalogize.

It was great of you to show commitment and share with this forum, and it was of value beyond the sharing of any actual info.
But times are changing so fast at the moment, and competition is so fierce amongst the makers of camera and lenses, developments are going at a racing pace, looking at the new releases all around, and especially Fuji and Panasonic attacking MF and FF very aggresively. And the energy that Pentax may have had when you joined has seemingly and inevitably made way for a very different approach.
I had to sell a whole collection of top class and very expensive Olympus Zuiko SHG lenses when Olympus tossed 4/3 aside. I am no stranger to the possibility that Pentax will toss APSC aside.

Perhaps not, but who can blame them if they do? My perception is that they are deliberately keeping things very small and try to bring out some quality products on a miniature scale, in the hope of surviving with the least possible risk and with the smallest possible footprint. Let all the big boys fight it out. It's perhaps even a sane tactic, with little risk. The side effect however, is that Pentax users may not get the releases they want and expect, such as a competitive APSC body.

But I should not have painted this picture of your input though. My apologies for that!

Chris
09-13-2018, 12:22 PM - 2 Likes   #1219
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kenspo Quote
I think you are a bit unfair with me here. The bright future comment was regarding all the new primes they told me was coming. And they told me the same with the new APS-C..That they suddenly change something without telling me, makes me look foolish maybe, but nothing that can be hold against me. I have only shared what im told. And when it was more my own opinion, I always wrote that it was. But luckily for you, I'll keep my info for my self in the future. Problem solved
I thank you for what you did share - I know Pentax was not always pleased .... but, to be perfectly honest, either they weren't being perfectly honest with you, or they were making "mid-course corrections" that they 'forgot' to tell you about. I understand why you changed affiliations and I understand why you might be tired of us.

09-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #1220
Pentaxian

My take on this thread is that I'm wasting my time. All these news are making head spinnig. Gonna take some great lenses and my K-1 with me and head out to take photos..(unsubscribe), oh and there are couple days untill real news or not
09-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #1221
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi, so very true your statement, we all seem to be a bit obsessed with equipment now and not pics, ian
09-13-2018, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #1222
Pentaxian

We are speculating about nothing. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I dub this thread the Seinfeld thread. It

09-13-2018, 02:08 PM - 3 Likes   #1223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problems with this thread are multitude. First of all, there is no real information. It's like Tony's song from West Side Story, "Something's coming, something good..." But no one here actually knows what "it" is.

If I guessed, it would be simply a new GR and maybe a full frame lens or two, but I will be honest and say that those are just guesses.

The people who are throwing the most fire at Pentax aren't going to buy anything either. They have either moved on, are in the process of moving on, or just don't have the necessary funds to purchase any sort of top end gear that Pentax might release. I do tend to buy new gear -- not because it makes my photos better, but because I enjoy shooting with new lenses here and there or new camera bodies.

In the end, we all need to shoot a few more photos. If the gear we have doesn't work, we need to figure out how to improve our own skill or our gear to the point that it meets our needs. If that means moving on to a different brand, that's OK too, but don't kick sand in the faces of those you leave behind.

But there is something waiting around the corner and I think, it's gonna be good...

09-13-2018, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #1224
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Im currently looking into my holiday for next year. I travel in May, with my birthsday in it. Looking into going to Paraguay. ....... Still lots of thinking, but I like what I have seen so far.
Could well be fascinating. I spent three weeks there in the 1970s when it was still run by Uncle Alf Stroesner and there were retired Nazis under every bush (or so they said). Flew in on a Paraguayan military Dakota of some vintage even then, at hedge height. There was no rear door, just a net slung loosely over the opening. The pilots had a bottle of firewater down by the throttles. No wonder the fare was cheap but I never felt safer. Must have changed a lot since then. My camera was a Canon Canonet 28.
09-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #1225
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My speculation. Since day 1 of this thread I have been wondering if the "something" that Ricoh will announce will be that they are selling or spinning off Pentax altogether. No reason behind this, just a feeling.
09-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #1226
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well...

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Here is the Reality, Chris, no one here knows any more than anyone else. so everything is pure unsubstantiated conjecture. That's the reality right now. The absurdity of two different full frame DSLRs defy logic. Of course, I've seen very little logic at all in this thread.
"so everything is pure unsubstantiated conjecture"

Mine isn't .
09-13-2018, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #1227
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
"so everything is pure unsubstantiated conjecture"

Mine isn't .
Almost all 82 pages of it.
09-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #1228
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If I guessed, it would be simply a new GR and maybe a full frame lens
Thats a good guess!
09-13-2018, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #1229

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
My speculation. Since day 1 of this thread I have been wondering if the "something" that Ricoh will announce will be that they are selling or spinning off Pentax altogether. No reason behind this, just a feeling.
Photokina, Ricoh has Confirmed - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com
09-13-2018, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #1230
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The first post is a rumor.

Ricoh will announce they sold PENTAX to Sony. Sony will announce they are halting all development on the K-mount but will come out with a line of PENTAX branded MILC and lenses starting with a consumer grade FF MILC. No K-mount adapter is planned for the new series.
What business case would justify such an acquisition by Sony?

* MILC would cause many Pentax users to 'abandon ship'.

* Sony has a better distribution network than Pentax does.

Sony isn't taking advantage of the biggest treasures Pentax has ...... K-mount and loyal users.
Closed Thread