Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2018, 05:24 PM - 1 Like   #1321
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This is it. When someone says that they got 1000 images on a single battery charge in "one day of shooting," it feels to me very different from my style of shooting. I go on vacation with my family for 7 or 8 days and return with a few hundred photos. There are many times that frame something and just wait and the moment doesn't happen or I set up on a tripod and take a 20 second exposure of a waterfall.

I can't imagine shooting 1000 images in one day, but that sort of situation you are going to be using the EVF less and just holding the shutter button down. At least that's what I suppose you do. I've never actually taken anywhere near that number of photos in a week, much less a day.
Depending on the event you are shooting it’s not hard to get 1000 shots in day. I’ve racked up around 700 one time shooting a local air show. When those fighter jets are flying overhead at insane speeds you do a lot of bursts and “spray and pray”. Out of the burst of 5 - 10 shots there will be that magic one with the planes all lined up or with the plane at the perfect angle. It’s not like I can ask the plane to stop while I frame the image. So, yeah, keep one and toss the other 4 - 9 shots, even if they are in focus.

I visited my family in Kazakhstan for 2.5 weeks. Between my phone, my Canon P&S, and my Olympus M10 I captured around 1100 images. That boiled down to 735 keepers. I had to charge my batteries plenty of times because I would leave the cameras “on” for many minutes before they went into sleep mode. I wanted to be prepared for whatever moment crossed me.

So, take the CIPA shot count with a grain of salt. It may serve as a kind of relative comparison but your mileage will vary greatly depending on how you shoot.

09-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #1322
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't. I would run into people, trip over roots, etc if I followed squirrels, bugs, etc, looking into a viewfinder. I raise it to my eye only when I'm ready to take a shot, because even with the best viewfinder, I can see better without it.
Do you turn the camera on and off during each photo cycle or do you just tap the shutter button to bring the electronics back online? I rarely shut my camera down while I am out hunting shots.
09-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #1323
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Does it fly off the shelves?
Oddly, no. I buy it.
09-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #1324
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Depending on the event you are shooting it’s not hard to get 1000 shots in day.
Indeed. Fast moving, non-repetitive action events can easily see one doing kilo-shots/day.

09-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #1325
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Wildlife photography is even worse. You spend minutes or hours waiting for the decisive moment. Or following a swimming, walking or flying subject. Not looking through the finder is not an option.
But that is how I do it - I can see them faster / better without any viewfinder. Using viewfinder is not option for me; not using viewfinder is not option for you,

And all of this is irrelevant to this thread , which talks about what Ricoh will do in the next two weeks .... whatever our preferences might be.
09-14-2018, 06:39 PM - 2 Likes   #1326
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Indeed. Fast moving, non-repetitive action events can easily see one doing kilo-shots/day.
More than that - I've hit 4000+ covering sports events over the course of a day (5-6hrs). The K-3 with battery grip lasts a long time. I carry a third battery, and have only had to use it once. Battery life (for my photo style) has been fantastic. I do use AF and SR, but don't chimp or review photos during the event. Your milage may vary, but for me, battery life is great.
09-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #1327
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Do you turn the camera on and off during each photo cycle or do you just tap the shutter button to bring the electronics back online? I rarely shut my camera down while I am out hunting shots.
I turn camera off any time I don't anticipate using it in next few minutes.

And all of this is irrelevant to this thread , which talks about what Ricoh will do in the next two weeks .... whatever our preferences might be.

09-14-2018, 07:05 PM   #1328
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since when.......maybe 20 pages back????
09-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #1329
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Since when.......maybe 20 pages back????
Just look 2 pages back for comments such as {talking about Ricoh program for Photokina}
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Yes, it's good. There is a lot of emphasis on the Ricoh GR. GR update with KP guts is very plausible, doesn't require lots of engineering, essentially refactoring on existing IP, and that would offer a compact travel option beside the K1.
09-14-2018, 07:27 PM   #1330
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just look 2 pages back for comments such as {talking about Ricoh program for Photokina}
I told everyone whats going to happen back in post #1207 but everyone has chose to ignore that post.
If everyone would simply stop ignoring that post we could move on to more meaningless discussions.
09-15-2018, 04:00 AM - 4 Likes   #1331
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I have been waiting since the fall of 2016 for the K-3II replacement. Even at this point, I'm still not desperate. I'm still willing to wait until fall of next year for it. I have my 2 K-50 bodies & 5 lenses that I try to use daily. I also have a D7200 & a few zoom lenses for when I want to catch a bit more action like BIF, nieces/nephews running around, or just things that can't stay put. I don't need to get a camera just yet. I can still wait around.

Everyone else is making some superb cameras. The future is more than likely going to shift to mirrorless. It's not like 10 years from now DSLR cameras will be non-existant either. They'll probably be around for at least another 20 years, but will probably become a bit more expensive as time goes by.

For those waiting, they have nothing to lose. We'll either get a very amazingly good K-3II replacement from Ricoh or we won't. Even if we don't, all is not lost. With Canon & Nikon entering the mirrorless race, competition will breed some very nice cameras. Panasonic is about to go FF mirrorless too. Even the m43 bodies are churning out some excellent images. I'm quite certain that Ricoh is not going to stay idle either.

If your camera & lenses are currently working fine, then no need to worry. Keep on shooting them & getting better at taking photos. If you need a camera to replace your current camera that has issues or just need a camera hold you off for a bit, there's the excellent & kind of cheap K-70 or you can always get a used body from this forum or on eBay. We'll get something sooner or later whether it comes from Ricoh or we jump ship to another brand that has something that suits us. We really can't lose at all. Good things come to those who wait.

But yeah. Patience also has its limits too. We can only wait for so long & the other camera makers are not helping the cause either. Hahahaha!
I shoot mirrorless with Leica (I have a CL, M8 &M9) along with my Pentax equipment (currently using a K-3 ii & K-1 II). Mirrorless as the future is more like "Back to the Future"....Electronic or Rangefinder viewfinders are fine, but you don't see exactly what the lens/sensor will see. I love the Pentax DSLR viewfinder because it gives you 98% of what the lens receives; to me more accurate than using an LCD 'live view' on a mirrorless. Are FF DSLR's bulky? Hell yes. Heavy? No heavier than my Leicas. Weather resistant? well my Pentax equipment is. In a word, there's room for both formats.
Ricoh can use the Ricoh badged line as their mirrorless and the Pentax as the stalwart DSLR/Medium Format line it excels at. Anecdotally, the Pentax forum is livelier than Nikon and Canon. Why? These consumer based brands come out with "new" equipment every year for the sake of offering "new". Pentax has been a brand knocked around by several large companies. I think Ricoh's gentle stewardship is bette run the long run.
09-15-2018, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #1332
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Translated

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Might get buried in the rest of this thread, but Ricoh Germany has published their Photokina event program on their site: Photokina Programm 2018 - RICOH IMAGING DEUTSCHLAND GmbH

Wim
Photokina Programm 2018 - RICOH IMAGING DEUTSCHLAND GmbH

More and more I get the feeling the "announcement" is the GR successor.
09-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #1333
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote

How do you feel it? No any hints. 90% of Ricoh's Photokina are photographers talks.
09-15-2018, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #1334
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote

Some of us got the same feeling some two weeks ago...
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
I just received the German newsletter:

PHOTOKINA 2018 - Freikarten gewinnen - Meet & Greet - GR Walks - Mehr GR erleben!

The emphasis is on the Ricoh GR: head picture, 4 dedicated articles plus 3 on street photography. There is also an article on Image Synch 2.0 and another one on the 'Theta 360 World Playzone'.
...or even three weeks ago:
Next 24 MP camera = the successor to Ricoh GR II.
Not to forget that asahi man said so on the other forum in early March, in a message subsequently deleted.
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
Asahi man just confirmed gr3 is incoming!
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
September....It's a pity...Summer time is lost
(...)
That was asahi man, not kenspo. He posted the following document:

Last edited by Mistral75; 09-15-2018 at 09:05 AM.
09-15-2018, 09:13 AM   #1335
ogl
Banned

Some of us got the same feeling some two weeks ago...

...or even three weeks ago:

Not to forget that asahi man said so on the other forum in early March, in a message subsequently deleted.
It's very interesting, but rather ephemeral information. No any serious leaks. I hope for GRIII, but no any word about new camera in Photokina's documents.
Closed Thread