Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2018, 12:11 AM   #1396
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The XQD card write speed is up to 1gb/s so a big step up from SDXC. But, the XQD card is also 50% larger and 80% fatter, so that will take up quite a bit more real estate in a DSLR.
I'd much prefer 2x SD cards to an SD card and another format.
The XQD transfer speed starts from 1gb/s (or 125MB/s); XQD 2 is capable of 1GB/s (just to clarify b vs B). XQD cards on the market offer write speeds varying from 80 to 400MB/s. The fastest SDs, "only" 300MB/s (and about maxes out the capabilities of UHS-II).
The UHS-III standard is capable of "only" 624MB/s, behind XQD 2. But, how much do we actually need until speed is no longer an issue?
As I said previously, Pentax could triple its current transfer speed by fully using UHS-I SDR 104. Supporting UHS-II speeds - not necessarily the fastest - would provide further boost. IMO this is more realistic to demand and expect, than going XQD.

Good point about size, however XQD is smaller than the CF; maybe they could make 2 of them fit without increasing the body size.

09-17-2018, 12:33 AM   #1397
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speaking from observation and theory rather than any particular knowledge or understanding of the tech, I think the Canon issue is important - they seem to want self-sufficiency in their camera components as far as realistically possible, and they won't want to go down the blind alley of having an exclusive storage system - which leads me to suspect that they will always want a type of card that is available world wide from a number of competing manufacturers - closer to the film model, or comparable to retaining the ability to use AA batteries via a grip - thinking of photographers out in the field.As long as Canon uses 'universal' cards,they will be available, and SD is both adequate and available and affordable.

Last edited by ffking; 09-17-2018 at 02:25 AM.
09-17-2018, 01:07 AM - 2 Likes   #1398
Veteran Member

Does this XQD debate really matter whereas UHS is not fully supported?
09-17-2018, 02:20 AM   #1399
Pentaxian

No.

According to the users of this forum neither card write speeds nor deeper buffer made it even into the top 15 of most wanted feature upgrades.

Pixelshift and GPS did rank higher.

So much for relevancy.

09-17-2018, 02:21 AM   #1400
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Does this XQD debate really matter whereas UHS is not fully supported?
Ecactly, what is the newsworthiness of strong personal opinions based on personal preferences based on obscure future angst?
Whatever
09-17-2018, 03:01 AM - 1 Like   #1401
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This talk of future proofing is silly. Neither format is going to go away, but at the same time, as long as Pentax supports a recent enough generation of SD card, it should be more than adequate. It isn't as though something is going to happen in 2 years that will add 50 megapixels to your camera.

As I said before, the issue with the K-1 is that Pentax nowhere near supports the current fastest SD card write speeds. And yes, buffer size and clearing needs to be addressed, even if it wasn't a top concern on a poll. It is the one thing that detracts from the K-1's usefulness in things like wedding photography.
09-17-2018, 03:33 AM   #1402
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
However, Camera makers have to futureproof their products.
Will they sell a XQD to SD and SD to XQD adapters for forward and backward compatibility ?

09-17-2018, 04:32 AM   #1403
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Will they sell a XQD to SD and SD to XQD adapters for forward and backward compatibility ?
Of course they will, just use your imagination!
09-17-2018, 05:11 AM - 2 Likes   #1404
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Fullsize SD cards are 32 mm x 24 mm x 2.1 mm.

XQD cards are much larger at 38.5 mm × 29.8 mm × 3.8 mm -- nearly 3X the volume.

In theory, an SD card could fit inside an XQD-sized shell although there would not be much room for the required electronics to interface between PCI-e and UHS.

Obviously the reverse is impossible.
09-17-2018, 06:32 AM   #1405
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
Hi all .

I have very trusted word today that Ricoh will definitely announce something at Photokina, or before, as opposed to no announcement of anything this year (some have been wondering, including myself).

Details have to wait, but its confirmed for sure. You know it's not going to be some lame point and shoot camera either. I was very happy to confirm that today. There is speculation on what is to be announced since April, but, I'm not so sure that's going to be all....

So look forward to Photokina (or anytime till then) for Ricoh/Pentax who have been pretty quiet since April. To me, that's good news and I wanted to share it here first because I care about the lot of you and like this website a lot.

p.s. Loving the K70 and the 55-300mm PLM. LOVING IT. Writing and photographing diligently...!

-Carl
Another sleep for me - another working day in Japan - has gone by with no news to back up this assertion. For both the sake of your reputation and Pentax, I hope something happens in the next week or so.
09-17-2018, 06:45 AM   #1406
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
For both the sake of your reputation and Pentax, I hope something happens in the next week or so.
The way you have been defending him through this thread I would think the same about yours as well

I do actually hope they announce something to keep me on board but after 10 years with Pentax I seem to be forever getting this feeling of DejaVu
09-17-2018, 06:53 AM   #1407
Pentaxian

The interest of customers should not be how many products are released how often. On the contrary, the interest of the customer is the buy gear that lasts long with big improvement step between each of the models. Just look at Sony, if I was Sony customer, I'd not be happy that my full frame camera get obsolete every other year. So, if I understand well, customers want frequent camera upgrades with little improvement or big improvement that they don't buy anyway. However, the danger of being a company and creating a need in the user base that isn't addressed by own products is to see customers go buy to competition. If the K1 isn't followed by products addressing the needs created by the K1 (speed and compactness), this is very dangerous for Pentax, basically, release a full frame camera with some holes in the lens portfolio and have a number of customers getting a full frame of the brand that offer the lenses that Pentax is missing. The K1 has awakened needs in the Pentax users and some of them bought a full frame from another brand, that's not good.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 09-17-2018 at 07:04 AM.
09-17-2018, 06:58 AM   #1408
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The interest of customers should not be how many products are released how often. On the contrary, the interest of the customer is the buy gear that lasts long with big improvement step between each of the models. Just look at Sony, if I was Sony customer, I'd not be happy that my full frame camera get obsolete every other year.
The market might disagree with you.
09-17-2018, 07:04 AM - 6 Likes   #1409
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Another sleep for me - another working day in Japan - has gone by with no news to back up this assertion. For both the sake of your reputation and Pentax, I hope something happens in the next week or so.
I can happily report that today was most definitely not a working day but a national holiday in Japan!

Anyway, why is everyone so eager to pass judgement on Photokina before it even happens?
09-17-2018, 07:05 AM - 2 Likes   #1410
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I do actually hope they announce something to keep me on board but after 10 years with Pentax I seem to be forever getting this feeling of DejaVu
Do you need a new camera? If yes, what kind of camera at what price? If no (you don't need a new camera), why ask for Ricoh to release new stuff that you won't buy?
Closed Thread