Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2018, 07:06 AM   #1411
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The interest of customers should not be how many products are released how often. On the contrary, the interest of the customer is the buy gear that lasts long with big improvement step between each of the models. Just look at Sony, if I was Sony customer, I'd not be happy that my full frame camera get obsolete every other year. Not to mention all the complains about the Pentax K-1 mark II being too less of an upgrade. So, if I understand well, customers want frequent camera upgrades with little improvement or big improvement that they don't buy anyway. However, the danger of being a company and creating a need in the user base that isn't addressed by own products is to see customers go buy to competition. If the K1 isn't followed by products addressing the needs created by the K1 (speed and compactness), this is very dangerous for Pentax, basically, release a full frame camera with some holes in the lens portfolio and have a number of customers getting a full frame of the brand that offer the lenses that Pentax is missing.
I totally agree with you. I am still using the K-30 I purchased forty months ago. I have said I expect a KP to be my next camera, so people here ask me when I'll purchase that. Honestly, I'm in no hurry - if Pentax came out with something I liked better but in the same price range, I might get it instead. But that is me - there are people here who are nervous that Pentax doesn't seem to have anything to follow the K-3ii, and K-3ii stocks are fading to nothing, to levels we normally see only after the followup has already been announced .... and I agree with them that this would be a good time for a followup to be announced.

09-17-2018, 07:10 AM   #1412
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I can happily report that today was most definitely not a working day but a national holiday in Japan!

Anyway, why is everyone so eager to pass judgement on Photokina before it even happens?
Typically, products to be shown off at a show are announced before the show; I don't remember many cases of announcing products during a show.
09-17-2018, 07:12 AM   #1413
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
The market might disagree with you.
There is no person named "the market" , "the market" (or a segment of it) is the sum of individual customers, if the majority of customers of a segment don't ask to buy a new camera it's better than the brand serving this market segment does not release anything. On the other hand, if the large part of the segment has a new demand for for X and Y reason, then Ricoh should address the demand. Too many times read people asking for something on the forums and then don't buy it. I'm afraid that camera companies have nothing to do with fulfilling desires of fresh forum discussion materials for the sake of discussions, camera companies need money, spending R&D and commercializing a new product to get increased volume of online gossip and nothing else is pretty much useless for a camera business.

---------- Post added 17-09-18 at 16:16 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
there are people here who are nervous that Pentax doesn't seem to have anything to follow the K-3ii, and K-3ii stocks are fading to nothing
I would share that concern, it's a problem if some people want to buy a K3-II and there is no stock. There is still a bit of stock here and there.
09-17-2018, 07:25 AM   #1414
JPT
Pentaxian

Typically, products to be shown off at a show are announced before the show; I don't remember many cases of announcing products during a show.
OK. So they have this week if they are going to announce something. If they are going to just show reference products, they usually put an item up on their website immediately before, but that means they won't be listed for sale immediately. And they have an unfortunate habit of getting delayed too. It's not clear to me what the OP was saying would happen.

09-17-2018, 07:42 AM   #1415
Pentaxian

Ricoh Imaging make most of their announcements on Thursdays, some on Tuesdays and the latest one was on a Friday.

Photokina 2018 will take place from Wednesday, 26 September to Saturday, 29 September.

Tuesday, 25 September is pretty crowded with many press conferences.

So...
09-17-2018, 08:15 AM   #1416
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
OK. So they have this week if they are going to announce something. If they are going to just show reference products, they usually put an item up on their website immediately before, but that means they won't be listed for sale immediately. And they have an unfortunate habit of getting delayed too. It's not clear to me what the OP was saying would happen.
I don't think the OP had, or even has, a precise understanding of what will happen. He heard from a usually reliable source that Photokina will be a good time for Pentax.
09-17-2018, 08:32 AM   #1417

I think the OP said Ricoh would be making an announcement. That doesn't mean it has anything to do with Pentax. Could be a new GR or Theta or action/sports cam. Although Kenspo kind of hinted it would be Pentax related, but may not cause that much excitement. At least that's my interpretation.

09-17-2018, 08:39 AM - 4 Likes   #1418
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lets keep the message clear....

Another sleep for me - another working day in Japan - has gone by with no news to back up this assertion. For both the sake of your reputation and Pentax, I hope something happens in the next week or so.
My entire reputation rests on the word of a reliable source telling me they will have an announcement this PK? I think not.

Lets get this clear before this mentality spirals.

1. The source is solid, the best I can think of.
2. The source voluntarily told me in a conversation they will have an announcement.
3. I was not told I could not relay that on the internet.

Now if you poo poo Pentax for that, I am okay with it. But not about my reputation. Killing the messenger does no good.

-Carl
09-17-2018, 08:51 AM - 3 Likes   #1419
Pentaxian

Let's be clear here

QuoteOriginally posted by Rush2112 Quote
My entire reputation rests on the word of a reliable source telling me they will have an announcement this PK? I think not.

Lets get this clear before this mentality spirals.

1. The source is solid, the best I can think of.
2. The source voluntarily told me in a conversation they will have an announcement.
3. I was not told I could not relay that on the internet.

Now if you poo poo Pentax for that, I am okay with it. But not about my reputation. Killing the messenger does no good. l
I have not attacked the messenger. In fact, another member has said that I have been the closest thing you have as a "defender"
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
The way you have been defending him through this thread I would think the same about yours as well
What I did say here is that you did not have to post that Original Post - but you did, both here and on your own site - so you must have confidence in it ..... because like it or not, the next time you post something, people will remember this Original Post, and its accuracy will affect how people view future words from you. I have "defended" your post, and whether I like it or not, people here will "throw" that at me in the future if it turns out to be "nothing".
09-17-2018, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #1420
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oops

I have not attacked the messenger. In fact, another member has said that I have been the closest thing you have as a "defender"
What I did say here is that you did not have to post that Original Post - but you did, both here and on your own site - so you must have confidence in it ..... because like it or not, the next time you post something, people will remember this Original Post, and its accuracy will affect how people view future words from you. I have "defended" your post, and whether I like it or not, people here will "throw" that at me in the future if it turns out to be "nothing".
No worries I understood your intent perfectly. I just thought it would be a good time to remind anyone watching this thread to be very clear on the facts going forward.

The only person to blame (if something doesn't come out) is the person that told me what they did. Nobody else is responsible. That person did verify it twice with me however .

Carl
09-17-2018, 09:53 AM - 4 Likes   #1421
Pentaxian

You are known, your 'very trusted source' is unknown.

You endorsed the person's statement.

Should anything go wrong, you are the one who will be shot. Tar and feathers are ready.

Last edited by Mistral75; 09-17-2018 at 09:58 AM.
09-17-2018, 10:05 AM - 7 Likes   #1422
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

Should anything go wrong, you are the one who will be shot.
Good grief!! That's a bit extreme!

It's aggressive statements like this that drive people like Asahiman, kenspo, and other people who may know someone who knows something away from this site.

Personally, I'd much rather have a free exchange of any and all rumors knowing full well the rumor may be wrong for a variety of innocent reasons such as:
1) Ricoh changed their mind;
2) an unforeseen business event (earthquake, factory issue, supplier shortage, etc.) happened;
3) some kind of Japanese-to-English misunderstanding occurred; or
4) the chain of rumor messages got garbled some where along the way.

There are many ways for a particular rumor to ultimately prove to be "wrong" that don't say anything about the reputation of the rumor messenger.

Let's please take every rumor with a grain of salt rather than preparing to punish the messenger.
09-17-2018, 10:22 AM   #1423
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Good grief!! That's a bit extreme!

It's aggressive statements like this that drive people like Asahiman, kenspo, and other people who may know someone who knows something away from this site.
I really don't know how he is likely to respond to that but I am quite looking forward to reading it
09-17-2018, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #1424
Banned

The town square will be packt with Nikon Z7 and Canon R guys (no not the girls).

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 09-17-2018 at 10:37 AM.
09-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #1425
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is one way to look at it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote

Should anything go wrong, you are the one who will be shot. Tar and feathers are ready.

If people feel more motivated to act on emotion vs. logic then it is their choice to do so. I know the public, and how they are over the internet vs. in person. That's the risk I took when I posted the news I received. Regardless, it won't change the facts of anything that happened, if that happened.

Personally, I'd only hold someone accountable if they lied or made something up. Otherwise, they would not be the source of my frustration, the actual source would be.

Guilty before proven innocent is not a healthy or *helpful mindset, but it's rampant.

Carl

*misspelling

Last edited by Rush2112; 09-17-2018 at 10:54 AM. Reason: *misspelling
Closed Thread