Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2018, 02:33 PM   #1486
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, we've spent another few hours on nothing.
That is OK, this whole discussion will be moot in another week.
Yep and "Pentax News and Rumors" will be mute for a short time and then maybe we can all get back to photography!

09-19-2018, 02:39 PM - 2 Likes   #1487
Pentaxian

Nope: we'll speculate on what should be announced at CP+.
09-19-2018, 02:43 PM   #1488
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Yep and "Pentax News and Rumors" will be mute for a short time and then maybe we can all get back to photography!
Quite honestly, I've been doing more than my usual level of photography this month.
The optimist in me hopes there will be exciting Pentax news next week {getting back to the OP} and we can talk about it for a while next month, as well as continuing to use equipment we already have.
09-19-2018, 04:50 PM   #1489
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bladerunner6 Quote
Do keep in mind Sigma and Tamron offer exactly zero lenses for Fuji and Sigma only has a handful for MFT.

I am not trying to offer comfort, I am just saying other brands are neglected too and they are not singling out Pentax for neglect.
Pining for K-mount versions of Sigma and Tamron lenses is simple nostalgia, which isn’t going to influence anyone.

People can keep wearing their widow’s weeds forever, but only sales of more Pentax camera bodies is going to get their attention. I’m sure there will be a line of cheaper Pentax lenses to suit the K-1 before much longer – the planned 70-200/4 will be the first, so those who want more of this line should think carefully about buying one. More lens availability will encourage more camera body sales, and so on.

Then we can get on with what we have, rather than posting irritating nostalgic wishful thinking.

09-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #1490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quite honestly, I've been doing more than my usual level of photography this month.
The optimist in me hopes there will be exciting Pentax news next week {getting back to the OP} and we can talk about it for a while next month, as well as continuing to use equipment we already have.
I try to get out and photograph something daily just to stay in practice and for the pure enjoyment. Honestly I'm really not looking for any earth shattering news on a K-3II replacement till CP+2019. If we get some news before then it will be a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by Larrymc; 09-19-2018 at 07:51 PM.
09-19-2018, 07:49 PM   #1491
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Nope: we'll speculate on what should be announced at CP+.
Yep, you're correct we'll be arguing over something till CP+2019 then after that Ad nauseam!
09-19-2018, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #1492
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote

hahaha you must be new here... there is never any mute (quiet) time in this subforum. Even when there is no news there is discussion...

We keep it "interesting"...

09-19-2018, 10:37 PM - 6 Likes   #1493
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax cameras seem to thrive in the marketplace when they 'evolve'. I never understood the need or the company 'peer pressure' created by Photokina and the need to keep pushing through new products on an annualized basis. Sometimes well thought out evolutionary products keep the brand relevant. The current Pentax K-1 upgrade program is reminiscent of another evolutionary brand that maintains a small, but fiercely loyal user base: Leica. I own both systems and was attracted to the Pentax smaller market share and the loyalists who support the brand (I.e., this active forum says it all).
RICOH = PENTAX. Any technology developed for the new GR will trickle into Pentax via intra-corporate sharing. In reference to SD vs. XQD debate, I believe that 100mb/s is more than enough to move files along. I rarely if ever have a buffer issue and I do believe that my Pentax K-1 ii is a professional level camera. The results I have been seeing on Lightroom require little finishing. The color palette is great out of the camera in both RAW and JPEG formats....The 36.5 MP sensor has allowed me to enlarge prints to 2 x 3 with little or no distortion (make sure to align your lenses regularly though).
One more point: with firmware upgrades (cameras are now mini computers really) from responsible manufacturers, cameras like the K-3ii and K-1ii can stay relevant for years to come (example: my Leica m9 got a new sensor and a CLA from the factory service and is like brand new). Pentax would be well served to continue similar upgrade programs for loyal users of their tank-like quality bodies and the so-called Pentaxians will buy new cameras and keep using their refurbished existing bodies. New users could be brought into the fold by having late model upgraded models for sale, and re-sale values won't tank like the Nikon/Canon flood of plastic 'disposable' units.
09-19-2018, 11:49 PM - 2 Likes   #1494
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been doing more than my usual level of photography this month.
Do you experience that strange phenomenon that I do when you do that - that your current gear is actually more than good enough?
09-20-2018, 01:23 AM - 3 Likes   #1495
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Do you experience that strange phenomenon that I do when you do that - that your current gear is actually more than good enough?
Agreed . . . my big shock came when I used the Super Takumar 55mm f 1.8 in an old Pentax K-7 and produced results that I would not have been ashamed to have produced with my 645Z and D FA 90mm. It is easy to get caught up in gear developments, but I must admire those members who plug along with their old K-10s and M lenses to produce creatively superb work.
09-20-2018, 05:57 AM   #1496
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I took my Q-7 out on a nice sunny day last weekend ..... and even with its small {physically} 12MP sensor, it was adequate for the task.
09-20-2018, 06:05 AM   #1497
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
free upgrade of the k-1 to k-1II
Free ?!
09-20-2018, 06:25 AM - 3 Likes   #1498
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Free ?!
You're free to update or not.
09-20-2018, 06:43 AM   #1499
mee
Veteran Member

Speaking of firmware updates..

What happened to the firmware update that Ricoh reps at CP+ last year mentioned was coming for the K-1 to enable IBIS in video?

They plainly stated they were working on it. Then 'we' waited months and months and it never arrived. Later they just launched a mark II version, but that one also doesn't have IBIS enabled for video... or does it?
09-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #1500
Pentaxian

They said they were looking into the matter. They never said or promised anything AFAICT.
Closed Thread