Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-20-2018, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #1516
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Do you experience that strange phenomenon that I do when you do that - that your current gear is actually more than good enough?
I definitely do! When out shooting its a whole separate world from sitting in front of a computer and "discussing" the latest or lack of the latest gear!

09-20-2018, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #1517
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
Pentax cameras seem to thrive in the marketplace when they 'evolve'. I never understood the need or the company 'peer pressure' created by Photokina and the need to keep pushing through new products on an annualized basis. Sometimes well thought out evolutionary products keep the brand relevant. The current Pentax K-1 upgrade program is reminiscent of another evolutionary brand that maintains a small, but fiercely loyal user base: Leica. I own both systems and was attracted to the Pentax smaller market share and the loyalists who support the brand (I.e., this active forum says it all).
RICOH = PENTAX. Any technology developed for the new GR will trickle into Pentax via intra-corporate sharing. In reference to SD vs. XQD debate, I believe that 100mb/s is more than enough to move files along. I rarely if ever have a buffer issue and I do believe that my Pentax K-1 ii is a professional level camera. The results I have been seeing on Lightroom require little finishing. The color palette is great out of the camera in both RAW and JPEG formats....The 36.5 MP sensor has allowed me to enlarge prints to 2 x 3 with little or no distortion (make sure to align your lenses regularly though).
One more point: with firmware upgrades (cameras are now mini computers really) from responsible manufacturers, cameras like the K-3ii and K-1ii can stay relevant for years to come (example: my Leica m9 got a new sensor and a CLA from the factory service and is like brand new). Pentax would be well served to continue similar upgrade programs for loyal users of their tank-like quality bodies and the so-called Pentaxians will buy new cameras and keep using their refurbished existing bodies. New users could be brought into the fold by having late model upgraded models for sale, and re-sale values won't tank like the Nikon/Canon flood of plastic 'disposable' units.
Really well put!
09-20-2018, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #1518
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I need to bookmark this comment for when the K-3 replacement is announced.
Please do!
09-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #1519
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great point, Norm!!

09-20-2018, 08:27 AM - 2 Likes   #1520
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey, we broke 100 pages of nothing! Wasn't that supposed to be another milestone?

09-20-2018, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #1521
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Time well wasted I always say.
09-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #1522
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Hey, we broke 100 pages of nothing! Wasn't that supposed to be another milestone?

Its not over we still have a few more days of well wasted time!

09-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #1523
Pentaxian

About 6 more days to Photokina.
09-20-2018, 12:24 PM   #1524
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Is tonight the last night to actually expect something from Ricoh-Imaging before Photokina? Or are we really going to whine till closing day september the 29th?
I've only seen big announcements on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. i expected Pentax to avoid last week with the September 12 iPhone event sucking all of the air out of the room. That left this week. I'm really starting to doubt there will be anything announced this year.

That doesn't stop me from checking the Photokina update blogs right up until the stagehands have carted away the last display!
09-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #1525
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
I've only seen big announcements on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. i expected Pentax to avoid last week with the September 12 iPhone event sucking all of the air out of the room. That left this week. I'm really starting to doubt there will be anything announced this year.

That doesn't stop me from checking the Photokina update blogs right up until the stagehands have carted away the last display!
The Original Post in this thread was unclear whether this would be an announcement leading up to Photokina - such as the Canon and Nikon events - or something to be revealed during the show.

The Original Poster had originally shared your doubt that "there will be anything announced this year".
09-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #1526
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The Original Poster had originally shared your doubt that "there will be anything announced this year".
Could you help me remember to start a rumor thread early april that I talked to a credable source about an announcement coming at the may Photokina 2019?
09-20-2018, 01:00 PM   #1527
Forum Member

Could you help me remember to start a rumor thread early april that I talked to a credable source about an announcement coming at the may Photokina 2019?
I am pretty sure we dont have to spread more rumours in April. It is very likely that shortly before CP+ Pentax will show what they have upcoming for us...
Am I mistaking something here or wasnt that the case a few times already?
09-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #1528
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
Yes and real news at Photokina wasn't there the last two editions. In 2016 nothing and 2014 the K-S1 and some small stuff.
09-20-2018, 01:14 PM   #1529
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by H.Abendsen Quote
I am pretty sure we dont have to spread more rumours in April. It is very likely that shortly before CP+ Pentax will show what they have upcoming for us...
There will probably be some kind of Ricoh GR replacement and/or maybe some newer Theta camera.

I'm really not expecting anything else outside of that, but it would be a nice surprise if here was some Pentax body and/or lens announced too. I'm also thinking that CP+ will be the show that will make or break Pentax for several users.
09-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #1530
Forum Member

Yes and real news at Photokina wasn't there the last two editions. In 2016 nothing and 2014 the K-S1 and some small stuff.

...yeeeeahh... nyeah... At Photokina 2014 they hinted at an upcoming FF DSLR via new lens-mockups, that most certainly weren't built for crop. (diameter)
I remember that, cause i saw em.
and some Italian rep, told me the same as some other fan before... That its quite possible...
then some guys started to post photos ... rants started... the rest is history... good ol days of the FF war.. how i love to read the forums at that time... *rofl*
This whole "Samsung-Sensor" and "plus Samsung-Chipset" rumour is behaving pretty much the same... the rumour spreads over and over from and even very reputable websites, who check their stuff report this is most certainly true...
And if its true, the new crop-flagship DSLR from PENTAX could be a real MILC killer.

Maybe this time we see a shutter demonstration or an "unbodied" prototype... who knows... would draw a lota attention though I doubt they dare to do something alike.
Ricoh seems to be very restrictive with leaks and stuff.
(though i remember to once have seen an "open body" somewhen back in time)

Last edited by H.Abendsen; 09-20-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Closed Thread