Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2018, 04:44 AM   #1561
Pentaxian

Another recap of what I'm expecting from the Photokina:
1- The mockup of the two RCs compatible with Full Frame
2- An almost ready DA* 11-18
3- Reworked DA* 16-50 (CA fixed) and DA* 50-135 (ring SDM)
4- The mockup of the D-FA* 85
5- The mockup of the D-FA 70-200 f/4
6- A new 645 with full frame MF sensor
7- The mockup of a new 645 lens, I think a 45-85mm zoom to match the new big sensor
8- An APS-C flagship camera
9- The new GR

09-21-2018, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #1562
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
Another recap of what I'm expecting from the Photokina:
1- The mockup of the two RCs compatible with Full Frame
2- An almost ready DA* 11-18
3- Reworked DA* 16-50 (CA fixed) and DA* 50-135 (ring SDM)
4- The mockup of the D-FA* 85
5- The mockup of the D-FA 70-200 f/4
6- A new 645 with full frame MF sensor
7- The mockup of a new 645 lens, I think a 45-85mm zoom to match the new big sensor
8- An APS-C flagship camera
9- The new GR
That is quite a lot of expectations I will be happy if we get maybe a two from the list.
09-21-2018, 04:52 AM   #1563
Pentaxian

9- The new GR
Highly likely,...1-8 are possibles or at least 1 of them.
09-21-2018, 04:53 AM - 2 Likes   #1564
Pentaxian

At this point also SR II with Pixel Shift II...
Half right.

09-21-2018, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #1565
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Half right.
With "Pixel Shift II" I mean also with the Dynamic function.. ( or only with this... )

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
That is quite a lot of expectations I will be happy if we get maybe a two from the list.
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Highly likely,...1-8 are possibles or at least 1 of them.

I will send my curriculum vitae to RICOH in Japan as "Product Planning Manager", obviously I will include this list

Last edited by Andrea K; 09-21-2018 at 05:08 AM.
09-21-2018, 05:06 AM   #1566
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OoKU Quote
Half right.
This would mean PSII as it doesn't require IBIS?
09-21-2018, 05:33 AM - 1 Like   #1567
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
This would mean PSII as it doesn't require IBIS?
I would guess the other way round - PS in a compact doesn't make much sense, but IBIS must certainly does...

09-21-2018, 05:45 AM   #1568
Pentaxian

I was wondering, if they introduce a previous version SR and maybe not 5 stops of stabilisation compensation... wouldn't that be enough to maintain a decent body ratio of a GR...with 24mp FF ?
09-21-2018, 05:48 AM   #1569
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
I was wondering, if they introduce a previous version SR and maybe not 5 stops of stabilisation compensation... wouldn't that be enough to maintain a decent body ratio of a GR...with 24mp FF ?
SR from what year do you have in mind? Why would they do this?
09-21-2018, 05:59 AM   #1570
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
SR from what year do you have in mind? Why would they do this?
I don't know, but if an older technology might mean smaller, why not go for it instead of having no SR, for instance and maintain a small body?
If newer technology, means bulkier, is 10% SRII improvement over older version of SR worth 20% increase in body size (these are just random figures) - Fuji's X-H1's comes to mind

I'm just thinking aloud here

Thing is, if there is IBIS (even if it's older tech to be able to introduce it) and they keep the same size - woudln't that be a killer and unique camera on the market?
09-21-2018, 06:37 AM   #1571
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Well I'm glad for your always available defense, as it got me digging a bit more. Apparently they realized they couldn't/wouldn't offer it but then immediately after admitting such last year claim they are still working on a solution (check the video below).

CP+ 2017 Pentax Interview: Part 1 - CP+ 2017 | PentaxForums.com

and a year later:

CP+ 2018 Pentax Interview - YouTube

So a year passed before they admitted the firmware wasn't coming, but I missed that CP+ 2018 response in the video it seems. Obviously it looks like that video response was just a polite 'not happening' at this point. Oh well.. it wasn't major to me, but I was really hoping to see more firmware updates..
Thanks for digging up an answer. Not impressed with that choice
09-21-2018, 06:54 AM   #1572
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
I don't know, but if an older technology might mean smaller, why not go for it instead of having no SR, for instance and maintain a small body?
If newer technology, means bulkier, is 10% SRII improvement over older version of SR worth 20% increase in body size (these are just random figures) - Fuji's X-H1's comes to mind

I'm just thinking aloud here

Thing is, if there is IBIS (even if it's older tech to be able to introduce it) and they keep the same size - woudln't that be a killer and unique camera on the market?
Maybe that's Ricoh/Pentax's mirrorless: the IQ and features of a KP with a limited prime, only in a fixed-lens body you can put in your pocket. Make it weather sealed and to me that's a pretty compelling camera. Zero corporate investment in a new lens line.

Although I'd guess a lot of people in the market for a travel camera would rather have the 24-200 zoom lens and they don't even grasp the advantages of APS-C over a cell phone sensor.
09-21-2018, 07:08 AM   #1573
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Maybe that's Ricoh/Pentax's mirrorless: the IQ and features of a KP with a limited prime, only in a fixed-lens body you can put in your pocket. Make it weather sealed and to me that's a pretty compelling camera. Zero corporate investment in a new lens line.

Although I'd guess a lot of people in the market for a travel camera would rather have the 24-200 zoom lens and they don't even grasp the advantages of APS-C over a cell phone sensor.
Would that be some sort of RX100 with a bigger sensor?
09-21-2018, 07:09 AM   #1574
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Maybe that's Ricoh/Pentax's mirrorless: the IQ and features of a KP with a limited prime, only in a fixed-lens body you can put in your pocket. Make it weather sealed and to me that's a pretty compelling camera.
In 2007 I purchased a Canon compact camera to replace my SLR as my first digital 'primary camera'. Ten months later, I abandoned the whole idea {gave the camera to my daughter} and purchased a Rebel; of the nine 'primary cameras' I've had, beginning with the rangefinder camera I purchased in 1969, that was one of the two "failures". That failure had nothing to do with Canon vs Ricoh; simply speaking, I found a single built-in lens to be too inflexible these days - I had a good reason for going from a rangefinder to a SLR camera in 1979. Sorry - I would not find your suggested camera as being 'compelling' in any form or fashion - personally I would keep my Q-7 ..... these days I personally find lens choice more important than sensor.
09-21-2018, 07:41 AM   #1575
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In 2007 I purchased a Canon compact camera to replace my SLR as my first digital 'primary camera'. Ten months later, I abandoned the whole idea {gave the camera to my daughter} and purchased a Rebel; of the nine 'primary cameras' I've had, beginning with the rangefinder camera I purchased in 1969, that was one of the two "failures". That failure had nothing to do with Canon vs Ricoh; simply speaking, I found a single built-in lens to be too inflexible these days - I had a good reason for going from a rangefinder to a SLR camera in 1979. Sorry - I would not find your suggested camera as being 'compelling' in any form or fashion - personally I would keep my Q-7 ..... these days I personally find lens choice more important than sensor.
From 2002-2012 I used Canon compacts, I think I had two different ones from the Elph/Ixus family. 6 or 8 megapixels. I thought they were great. They had zoom lenses and IBIS. But I didn't really know anything about photography at all. To this day I couldn't tell you the range of the zoom or the aperture. I prioritized pocketability over everything. It was very nice to have a camera I could take anywhere.

In 2012 I got a K-30. Even with a kit lens it was kind of a revelation in image quality and control. So I can see both sides. Now my primary travel kit is a K-3ii with a 15mm and 40mm LTD. I could see myself doing a lot with a GRIII with recent Pentax DSLR image quality, features and controls, a 28mm equivalent lens, but the size of a couple decks of cards. I'm comfortable with my DSLR, but even for me there are times when I leave it behind and use the phone.

The only question is would a GRIII like that be worth spending the marriage equity to get better results over my Pixel cell phone?
Closed Thread