Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-22-2018, 06:33 PM   #1636
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
No more a stretch than some of the other wild speculation. Just on the pessimistic side of the fence. The camera market has changed dramatically. Just because Ricoh said something months ago does not mean that they cannot change their minds due to market factors.

My personal opinion is that the current sensor / processor / bus has reached the limit of practical improvement. Many of the things that are constantly asked for here (4k video, faster AF, more dynamic range, faster write speeds) just might not be possible with the hardware that Pentax has been using. I am sure if they could do those things they would. So either they quit entirely, keep pasting bandages on ancient tech or make a clean break and start new.

What is 'new'? Who knows. Maybe a Samsung sensor / processor in a DSLR. Maybe a mirrorless of some kind. Maybe nothing............
I agree with you about the sensor limitations and about hopefully the Samsung sensor and processor but a mirrorless is a total stretch given what was said at CP+2018. I think the best bet is a replacement close to CP+2019 and not sooner. Think about it Photokina is a Euro centric show and Pentax's largest single market is in Japan. So if it is going to happen early next year it more than likely will be CP+2019 and thats fine with me.

09-22-2018, 06:34 PM   #1637
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
a Samsung sensor / processor in a DSLR.
Its nice to hit a nail on the head.
09-22-2018, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #1638
Pentaxian

Just my thoughts. Maybe Ricoh has been reading our posts and said these people are so impatient and decided to torture us. Maybe they will not give us any leaks and will surprise us and show us all that every one is speculating on in Photokina. Maybe they want to further torture us and will postpone everything till 2020. Maybe they want lots of us to go berserk. Everything is pure speculation. All posts here makes my imagination go wild. Keep posting what you guys are expecting. I like reading them.
09-22-2018, 07:08 PM - 2 Likes   #1639
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
given what was said at CP+2018
A big part of my point is that no matter what was said (or thought was said) at some point in the past things have changed. I do not believe there is, TODAY, any validity in any comments made months ago. Whatever Ricoh was thinking about must now be reevaluated in the context of Canon R, Nikon Z and Fuji GFX.

- They had the opportunity to go K-mount mirrorless by building on the K-01. They did not.
- They had the opportunity to control the medium format market. They let it slide into Fuji's lap.
- They had a valid small sensor mirrorless system with a good assortment of lenses in the Q. They have let it atrophy.
- They have the best APS-C lens line up in the business. Instead of capitalizing on it they are now 3 1/2 years since the last prosumer APS-C body with nothing new in sight.

Ricoh brings to my mind a company who buys a troubled buggy whip maker in 1908. How long do they keep believing it was a good idea?

09-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #1640
Pentaxian

- They had the opportunity to go K-mount mirrorless by building on the K-01. They did not.
It wasnt the right design,no VF,no WR, a departure from accepted Pentax ergonomics,throw in a very steep price on release and it makes sense that it didnt sell until the Fire Sale.

They had the opportunity to control the medium format market. They let it slide into Fuji's lap.
Well, they did control the crop MF genre for quite a while.Like $$$ony controled FF M/L,eventually theres competition.

They had a valid small sensor mirrorless system with a good assortment of lenses in the Q.
Well, 1/2/6/8 Af lenses...not so sure thats a good assortment? The Japanese schoolgirl market is only so big too!

They have the best APS-C lens line up in the business.
Yes its good,theres no best.

APS-C body with nothing new in sight.
I cant see one either,but what i'm hearing may be impressive to some.

Ricoh brings to my mind a company who
Is prudent in the market place,innovative but doesnt run with the pack!
09-22-2018, 07:40 PM   #1641
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A big part of my point is that no matter what was said (or thought was said) at some point in the past things have changed. I do not believe there is, TODAY, any validity in any comments made months ago. Whatever Ricoh was thinking about must now be reevaluated in the context of Canon R, Nikon Z and Fuji GFX.

- They had the opportunity to control the medium format market. They let it slide into Fuji's lap.
- They had a valid small sensor mirrorless system with a good assortment of lenses in the Q. They have let it atrophy.
- They have the best APS-C lens line up in the business. Instead of capitalizing on it they are now 3 1/2 years since the last prosumer APS-C body with nothing new in sight.

Ricoh brings to my mind a company who buys a troubled buggy whip maker in 1908. How long do they keep believing it was a good idea?
I'm not a mind reader so I have to go on what was said. I prefer to remain optimistic....so one of us will be right. I've got time to wait. Why all the pessimism? You apparently have a K-1 and K-3 two damn fine cameras to shoot for years to come. Why not sit back and relax and watch what develops?
09-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #1642
Pentaxian

Whatever Ricoh was thinking about must now be reevaluated in the context of Canon R, Nikon Z and Fuji GFX.
Ricoh are in Dslr FF market place at the moment and doing a reasonably good job for the resources they have.They dont have to compete with CaNik.Fuji dont compete with CaNik and wont.They picked their mark with GFX(M/L MF) and it does compete with 645zPentax in some regards.MF isnt a big market and its possibly one that Ricoh may not pursue considering whats come in over the last couple of years?

Patience is a virtue, the next major announcement(development update) could be close!

09-22-2018, 08:01 PM   #1643
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I'm not a mind reader so I have to go on what was said. I prefer to remain optimistic....so one of us will be right. I've got time to wait. Why all the pessimism? You apparently have a K-1 and K-3 two damn fine cameras to shoot for years to come. Why not sit back and relax and watch what develops?
Oh, I'm not pessimistic. Just countering the wild speculation with some opposing views for the fun. I've got a recently upgraded K-1II, a K-3 and a K-3II. A DFA 15-30, DFA 24-70, DFA 28-105, DFA 150-450 for FF and a good selection of bought new APS-C glass as well.

And a very nice collection of Pentax vintage glass. So I am heavily invested in the Pentax ecosystem. And if they fold up tomorrow I would still stay with Pentax. There will be good bodies on the used market for at least 10 years and at my age that is likely long enough.

09-22-2018, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #1644
Pentaxian

Oh, I'm not pessimistic. Just countering the wild speculation with some opposing views for the fun. I've got a recently upgraded K-1II, a K-3 and a K-3II.
I don't see any 'fun' in expressing negative views.

There are people here feeling concerned. They don't know where they will turn if the one body they own fails - not a likely happening, but not an impossibility, and Murphy makes it seem much more likely - because the market in K-3 type cameras is so thin right now; the market in good used bodies would not seem nearly so robust if it weren't been fed by those purchasing new bodies - if it were being drained by those folk instead. Talking about possibilities is much more fun for them than is listening to negative views.

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea what will happen during the next week or so, but I find speculating to be much more fun than is throwing cold water on others.
09-22-2018, 08:45 PM   #1645
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I find speculating to be much more fun than is throwing cold water on others.
I guess we differ. Perhaps I am just tired of the rampant enthusiasm with no basis in fact. Or perhaps I just felt like offering my opinion since everyone else seems to be able to do that without criticism. Or are only opinions that express unfounded, exuberant, unrealistic views welcome here?
They don't know where they will turn if the one body they own fails
Oh come on. There are hundreds of k-mount bodies on ebay at any given time. And if Ricoh does not show some interest in continuing in the camera business there will be hundreds more.
There are people here feeling concerned.
So I should only post enthusiastic, positive comments so that the 'concerned' will feel better?
I am fully committed to K-mount most likely for life. But turning a blind eye to all the missed opportunities Ricoh has had is just sticking our heads in the sand. They have a minuscule portion of a rapidly shrinking market. Unless they see an opportunity to continue making money it would only be prudent to at least consider exiting that market when market forces shift.

---------- Post added 09-22-18 at 08:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
It wasnt the right design,no VF,no WR, a departure from accepted Pentax ergonomics,throw in a very steep price on release and it makes sense that it didnt sell until the Fire Sale.
Agree, but there was nothing stopping them from fixing those issues and bringing out a K-02. Sony's first attempt was not perfect, it did not stop them from trying again.
Well, they did control the crop MF genre for quite a while.Like $$$ony controled FF M/L,eventually theres competition.
But they owned that market and could have locked it up so tightly there would be no competition. Instead they just dawdled along with enough effort to move out the inventory of existing lenses. Then nothing.
Well, 1/2/6/8 Af lenses...not so sure thats a good assortment? The Japanese schoolgirl market is only so big too!
As good or better than anybody else. But instead of even supporting it a little they just let it die.
Is prudent in the market place,innovative but doesnt run with the pack!
Agree. But prudent might just mean looking at the numbers and saying enough is enough.

Last edited by jatrax; 09-22-2018 at 08:50 PM.
09-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #1646
Pentaxian

Agree. But prudent might just mean looking at the numbers
I'm sure that all the companies do too.

The bottom line i$ the bottom line!

Ricoh may be a reasonable size Company but RI(a tiny part) punches above its weight in a few areas with the budget it has.

Some prudent sensor/processing purchases with RI engineering could bring some surprises.Hopefully they keep the customers tuned in?
09-22-2018, 11:39 PM - 1 Like   #1647
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I bought my copy from a Forum member quite some time ago, and I used it extensively when travelling. It lost favour to the DA15 because of the latter’s small size, but the DA14 didn’t give away too much in the IQ department, by comparison. The clunky lens hood made it occupy more space in the messenger bag than it was worth, in the end.
DA14 is a good performer. The center is good at 2.8 - really sharp and you can use it in any kind non-landscape photography. If to close this lens till f5.6-8, you can get good landscape lens. Rather interesting lens, by the way. I wanted to buy this lens, tried it (borrowed it from my friend), but I was thinking too much time The price for DA14 became much higher than before.

By the way, DA14 has copies variation too. There are lenses like in opticallimits test http://www.opticallimits.com/pentax/117-pentax-smc-da-14mm-f28-ed-if-review-...eport?start=1- not bad. But my friend had very sharp DA14 at 5.6-8 with good edges.

Last edited by ogl; 09-22-2018 at 11:46 PM.
09-23-2018, 12:34 AM   #1648

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Pentax already did Storm Trooper editions,
You mean Pentax is in with the dark side? Pentaxians are doomed
09-23-2018, 02:32 AM   #1649
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dafbp Quote
You mean Pentax is in with the dark side? Pentaxians are doomed
We belong to the Jedi clan. Those who have chosen MILC have shifted to the dark side. But I agree with you, We have been doomed ever since before. I don't really care if they say we're doomed.
09-23-2018, 02:43 AM   #1650
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It isn't quite that bad. As long as SLRs and mirrorless use the same sensors they will actually produce very similar photos. Unless you need super fast frame rates, I don't know that in practice there is a big difference between them in the real world either. I do think there are new things coming, but they probably aren't coming for the most part till 2019.

I don't see any 'fun' in expressing negative views.

There are people here feeling concerned. They don't know where they will turn if the one body they own fails - not a likely happening, but not an impossibility, and Murphy makes it seem much more likely - because the market in K-3 type cameras is so thin right now; the market in good used bodies would not seem nearly so robust if it weren't been fed by those purchasing new bodies - if it were being drained by those folk instead. Talking about possibilities is much more fun for them than is listening to negative views.

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea what will happen during the next week or so, but I find speculating to be much more fun than is throwing cold water on others.
The biggest problem with too much positive speculation is that it sets people for a fall. I remember this preceding every major Pentax release. From the K-7 to the K-1 people blew up their expectations for what could be in these cameras and then when they actually came out, they were disappointed. Better just to wait and not set your hopes too high and they won't be let down in a few days.
Closed Thread