Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1138 Likes Search this Thread
09-23-2018, 03:18 AM   #1651
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
We belong to the Jedi clan. Those who have chosen MILC have shifted to the dark side. But I agree with you, We have been doomed ever since before. I don't really care if they say we're doomed.
The Last Jedi.

09-23-2018, 06:08 AM   #1652
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Better just to wait and not set your hopes too high and they won't be let down in a few days.
And back to being happy to see a GRIII and that line continuing.

09-23-2018, 08:46 AM - 2 Likes   #1653
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It isn't quite that bad. As long as SLRs and mirrorless use the same sensors they will actually produce very similar photos. Unless you need super fast frame rates, I don't know that in practice there is a big difference between them in the real world either. I do think there are new things coming, but they probably aren't coming for the most part till 2019.
It's not really 'bad' at all. I have a nicely refurbished K-1II and more lenses than I know what to do with so I'm quite happy. Ricoh has in my opinion missed out on a number of opportunities but they might have valid reasons for that. Just because they look good from where I sit does not mean that the real numbers work out. But it does seem (to me) that they have not pushed through on some things that they should have if they wanted to grow their market share. But perhaps that is not their plan.
The biggest problem with too much positive speculation is that it sets people for a fall. I remember this preceding every major Pentax release. From the K-7 to the K-1 people blew up their expectations for what could be in these cameras and then when they actually came out, they were disappointed. Better just to wait and not set your hopes too high and they won't be let down in a few days.
Exactly. I am tired of the roller coaster ride of unrealistic expectations followed by the depths of despair when reality sinks in. So I thought I would throw out some despair prior to the show.

We will get at Photokina:
- Some sort of GR announcement
- A nearly finished DA*11-18
- And ........................ nothing else. Is that bad? Nope. It is the expectation of more that is bad. It's fun now but causes despair later.
09-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #1654
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
No more lenses this year according to the roadmap. Maybe they will show the 70-200 F4. Maybe there will be new versions of current DA lenses (since those won't be on the road map it is still possible). The GR was postponed I believe Asahiman confirmed as much. Maybe Ricoh will surprise us with a new APS-c model. Maybe a 645z II with a 100mp sensor?

09-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #1655
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
The GR was postponed I believe Asahiman confirmed as much.
If postponed why are they having a GR meet & greet party?
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Maybe there will be new versions of current DA lenses (since those won't be on the road map it is still possible).
That would be awesome. With the addition of the DA*11-18 and new versions of 16-50 and 50-135 they would have a really nice line up. Waiting for a prosumer K-3 replacement.
09-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #1656
Pentaxian

Just got an email from Clifton Cameras in the UK. They have a list of rumoured announcements at Photokina. Pentax aren't even mentioned.
https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Blog/photokina-2018-photo-rumors-updated-da...6ef2-161757477

09-23-2018, 09:49 AM - 2 Likes   #1657
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I am tired of the roller coaster ride of unrealistic expectations followed by the depths of despair when reality sinks in. So I thought I would throw out some despair prior to the show.
I don't see reason for any despair.
If Photokina doesn't please me, then I'll look forward to CP+.
If CP+ doesn't please me, then I'll look forward to the next thing.

I live in Chicago Cubs territory.
They never won the World Series in my dad's lifetime - he lived almost 94 years.
Their 108-dought is a North American record - their informal motto was "wait until next year".

Last edited by reh321; 09-23-2018 at 09:59 AM.
09-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #1658
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Just got an email from Clifton Cameras in the UK. They have a list of rumoured announcements at Photokina. Pentax aren't even mentioned.
https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Blog/photokina-2018-photo-rumors-updated-da...6ef2-161757477
Photokina is almost here.
Surely we can wait until then.
09-23-2018, 10:01 AM - 1 Like   #1659
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Now I understand.

I think you miss my point. I'm not despairing. I'm happy as a lark. But there will be those who followed the overenthusiastic predictions (again) who despair and predict the 'D' word is happening after Photokina is over and nothing happened.

Anyway, back to our regularly scheduled wild, optimistic predictions........................
09-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #1660
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They never won the World Series in my dad's lifetime - he lived almost 94 years.
Their 108-dought is a North American record - their informal motto was "wait until next year".
So you're saying that we and Pentax should follow the Cubs model? Which was/is based on:

1) They are in a closed league without promotion/relegation so no matter how badly they did there would always be a next year
2) They have a rabid fanbase that keeps paying to show up and watch them on TV despite mostly dismal performances for a century
3) Brand in sports is almost religion, born a Cubs fan, die a Cubs fan.

In camera sales there are some key differences:

1) If you don't sell enough stuff to pay the bills you go bankrupt and there is no next year
2) People mostly pay for quality stuff; you could go to 30 baseball games for the cost of a FA* 50
3) Brand loyalty is mostly dead, and if someone else builds a better widget most people will leave
09-23-2018, 10:27 AM   #1661
Banned

The GR meet & Greetings is organized by Ricoh-Imaging DACH (Germany, Austria and Switzerland) as are they hosting the stand at Photokina.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 09-23-2018 at 10:58 AM.
09-23-2018, 10:52 AM - 1 Like   #1662
ogl
Banned

If Photokina doesn't please me, then I'll look forward to CP+.
If CP+ doesn't please me, then I'll look forward to the next thing.
Enjoy waiting
09-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #1663
ogl
Banned

Everything will be postponed. We enjoy waiting.
09-23-2018, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #1664
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
So you're saying that we and Pentax should follow the Cubs model?
No, nor am I saying they should follow the Boston Red Sox model {almost as much futility}. I am saying that freaking out doesn't fix anything, and predicting doom doesn't help. Waiting deadline-to-deadline works much better than an "it must happen now" mindset. Unless your camera breaks or no longer meets your needs, there is no reason to rush. In Indiana, juries are told that "reasonable doubt" is a condition that would cause you to make no decision if no decision needs to be made right now {I forget their actual wording}; that is the mindset I believe users here should have.
09-23-2018, 01:06 PM   #1665
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Everything will be postponed.
Again, as I have asked you in another thread - What is the basis for this assertion?
Closed Thread